Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2021, 01:46 AM   #281
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
This was an enjoyable 12 episodes this season, even if it wasn't at the level of season 1.
Season 1 focused much more on Ted's insufferably contagious positivity and the effects of it on a critical football-mad community. I think that was a big driving force for the show at the outset.

I like how it has evolved since, although it did meander a little at times over this season finding its footing this time. I think Nate on the other side and potentially more Rupert will add some spice to the show for season 3.

There were too many people to love, even the jerks from season one. We needed a couple true foes to loathe again. Especially in a sports/team centric show.

Last edited by djsFlames; 10-11-2021 at 01:51 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #282
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing I don't like about Nate's story is that he was an equipment boy, and now a head coach? I mean, I guess AFC Richmond has a football coach, so experience isn't an issue...Still, it feels like he shouldn't at all be qualified for the job.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:55 AM   #283
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The only thing I don't like about Nate's story is that he was an equipment boy, and now a head coach? I mean, I guess AFC Richmond has a football coach, so experience isn't an issue...Still, it feels like he shouldn't at all be qualified for the job.
Yup. It'll be interesting to see how the show goes with that. Its possible to move up like that, but one of the primary challenges that arise in the highest level of sports is dealing with clashing Type A personalities.

Something that Nate clearly sucks at.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:57 PM   #284
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I guess the logic is that some of Nate's strategies helped Richmond get promoted right after relegation which is unheard of (as they even called it Nate's false nine). With how little Rupert probably thinks of Richmond it makes sense that he would be impressed by Nate's work there enough to take him on. The other factor being how much he probably wants to stick it to Rebecca, Ted and Richmond. Putting Nate in is a head game he would enjoy playing with Ted.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:32 PM   #285
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

You only play another team in the Premiership twice out of 38 games.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:53 PM   #286
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's potentially two episodes!
Old 10-11-2021, 08:58 PM   #287
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I guess the logic is that some of Nate's strategies helped Richmond get promoted right after relegation which is unheard of (as they even called it Nate's false nine). With how little Rupert probably thinks of Richmond it makes sense that he would be impressed by Nate's work there enough to take him on. The other factor being how much he probably wants to stick it to Rebecca, Ted and Richmond. Putting Nate in is a head game he would enjoy playing with Ted.
Why is that? I would think you'd see a lot of yo-yo action with Premier league bubble teams dropping one season and then coming back the next year
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:20 PM   #288
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
You only play another team in the Premiership twice out of 38 games.
Not strictly true, you could be drawn into FA Cup or Carabao Cup Matches as well.

You would only get 2 matches against any given PL opponent though, that is true.

But Ted Lasso has not been shy about using the Cups as other opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Why is that? I would think you'd see a lot of yo-yo action with Premier league bubble teams dropping one season and then coming back the next year
Often? Money.

The TV Pay Structure of the PL is their bread and butter, but you only get that cash primarily in the PL (other than Cups where you might be playing against a big PL team) and that money is usually paid out at the end of the season.

However, most small promoted teams are often highly leveraged in order to buy players at the beginning of their PL campaign, if that season goes badly and they get relegated their TV money is effectively already spent and the wage gap between the Premier League and the Championship is pretty intense.

So if a newly promoted team leverages their future earnings hoping to stay up and fails they usually have to sell a bunch of players for scraps to pay off their leverage.

Usually players have a cheap buy-out clause in cases of relegation.

It can also just be inexperience, bad luck, poor decision making in terms of acquiring players there are all kinds of reasons.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:26 AM   #289
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

One thing is, do we know that Nate is the head coach? He may have been signed on as an assistant and then will work under the opposite of Ted, a hard driving coach who talks down to people and will belittle him when things go wrong. This makes him realize that the grass is not greener on the other side. Or he takes the other route and keeps going off about how he deserves to be the head coach and winds up costing his new club games. He has parental issues as well and getting his Dads approval might weigh on him.

Also, as Djsflame said, he may have just been hired to screw with Rebecca and Ted.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:27 AM   #290
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
One thing is, do we know that Nate is the head coach? He may have been signed on as an assistant and then will work under the opposite of Ted, a hard driving coach who talks down to people and will belittle him when things go wrong. This makes him realize that the grass is not greener on the other side. Or he takes the other route and keeps going off about how he deserves to be the head coach and winds up costing his new club games. He has parental issues as well and getting his Dads approval might weigh on him.

Also, as Djsflame said, he may have just been hired to screw with Rebecca and Ted.
Not sure if it's an actual spoiler but putting it in tags anyway:

Spoiler!
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 07:13 AM   #291
Calgary Highlander
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I think you guys may be looking too deep on Trent and the keys. He was shown to be a strong, confident character while dealing with Ted and the team in both positive and negative interactions.

Now he is nervously excited about what his future is and who he is now. It was just a slight slip up to show that newfound vulnerability and imperfection in a previously perfect and sure character.
Maybe he'll finally learn how to ride a bike!
Calgary Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:21 AM   #292
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't like how close Nate got to the camera at the end.

Too close.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:40 AM   #293
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Many of the characters have father issues.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:44 AM   #294
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I didn't like how close Nate got to the camera at the end.

Too close.
An interesting thing is that episode 1 starts with a zoom in on Nate's face then pans out.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 10:42 AM   #295
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Trent Crimm, Independent.
(marginally spoilery but really just speculation at this point)
https://www.reddit.com/r/TedLasso/co...ory_confirmed/
Interesting: My guess was that they'd have him fill Keeley's position in marketing but that idea is better since it allows the character to maintain his role on the show.

I hope the tone goes back to closer to what they had in season 1 in season 3, I know they can't do all infectious optimism all the time but it's such a wonderful palate cleanser when it is.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 11:25 AM   #296
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Loved that ending. Really looking forward to season 3 and having a proper villain.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:28 PM   #297
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Will they go full ‘feel good’ in season 3 and have Richmond win their first trophy?
Old 10-13-2021, 07:32 PM   #298
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Yes - it’s the nature of the show. They are going to win the whole ####ing thing.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 08:04 PM   #299
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. Ted already said that would happen at the end of season 1.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:19 AM   #300
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nate was begging for a beating from Roy and actually had a fit because he didn't get equal treatment. Maybe in season 3 he'll get it.