Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #281
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpring2013 View Post
Did you get even a small laugh or is Star Wars srs bizness for you?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:40 PM   #282
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Apparently the Disneyland one is quite dead now, at least in terms of where they thought it would be. I had a buddy down there a few weeks ago said he had his pick of whatever he wanted, while the rest of the park was packed.

Not a lot of people love this new trilogy, and it is based on that timeline. When I discovered that my desire to go dropped in half. I will wait until Avengers land is ready now I think. Then if Galaxy's Edge disappoints me I can hopefully redeem it with the Marvel stuff.

I think the biggest gripe people have with it, is that it is just a random location in a timeline we aren't overly familiar with/don't care about. They should have picked a specific Star Wars iconic location.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:57 PM   #283
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Spoiler!
While I would be disappointed with that outcome, the process of cloning in Star Wars is using a genetic template, Jango Fett most notably, with certain genetic modifications. The clone army had accelerated aging and complete subjugation which is why they attacked their Jedi friends when given Order 66. The exception being Bobba Fett who was a direct clone.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:01 PM   #284
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
While I would be disappointed with that outcome, the process of cloning in Star Wars is using a genetic template, Jango Fett most notably, with certain genetic modifications. The clone army had accelerated aging and complete subjugation which is why they attacked their Jedi friends when given Order 66. The exception being Bobba Fett who was a direct clone.

The Kamnioans were expert cloners. They were known for things like making clones with shovel shaped hands for mining duties for example. Modifying the aging process. They created the bio chips that allowed for order 66 to happen. Its interesting because when Obi-Wan was musing about order 66 he figured that the reason why the Jedi's didn't get alerted was because there was no malice or hatred from the clones, they obeyed a trigger command and did their duty.

It wouldn't take much for a clone to be modified based on sex.

We could also go back to the theory that Palpatine figured out enough of his masters work to manipulate the Force to create a supreme being from the Force. So Rey might not be a clone, she might be a force created being.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:14 PM   #285
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The Kamnioans were expert cloners. They were known for things like making clones with shovel shaped hands for mining duties for example. Modifying the aging process. They created the bio chips that allowed for order 66 to happen. Its interesting because when Obi-Wan was musing about order 66 he figured that the reason why the Jedi's didn't get alerted was because there was no malice or hatred from the clones, they obeyed a trigger command and did their duty.

It wouldn't take much for a clone to be modified based on sex.

We could also go back to the theory that Palpatine figured out enough of his masters work to manipulate the Force to create a supreme being from the Force. So Rey might not be a clone, she might be a force created being.
Well, then I believe the correct term would be genetically engineered, not cloned.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:28 PM   #286
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

In our universe, in the Star Wars universe that is not true, as covered in the 2004 novelisation “The Fall of Tarth.”
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:48 PM   #287
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Apparently the Disneyland one is quite dead now, at least in terms of where they thought it would be. I had a buddy down there a few weeks ago said he had his pick of whatever he wanted, while the rest of the park was packed.

Not a lot of people love this new trilogy, and it is based on that timeline. When I discovered that my desire to go dropped in half. I will wait until Avengers land is ready now I think. Then if Galaxy's Edge disappoints me I can hopefully redeem it with the Marvel stuff.

I think the biggest gripe people have with it, is that it is just a random location in a timeline we aren't overly familiar with/don't care about. They should have picked a specific Star Wars iconic location.

A buddy of mine just got back and absolutely raved about how awesome he thought it was, especially for his kids. And this is coming from a massive old-school Star Wars geek who isn't that keen on the new trilogy.

He also said it was fairly crowded when they were there and that the lineup for the Millennium Falcon ride was long, but worth it. His kids really got a kick out of the staff members who interact with the guests while never breaking character.

I haven't been down there yet, but based on what I've heard from the few friends and co-workers who have, I'm really looking forward to checking it out sometime next year. I've heard nothing but good reviews so far.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:26 AM   #288
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-plans-1242953

Quote:
“George immediately got upset as they began to describe the plot and it dawned on him that we weren’t using one of the stories he submitted during the negotiations,” Iger writes. “George knew we weren’t contractually bound to anything, but he thought that our buying the story treatments was a tacit promise that we’d follow them, and he was disappointed that his story was being discarded. I’d been so careful since our first conversation not to mislead him in any way, and I didn’t think I had now, but I could have handled it better.”
Still interested in Skywalker Rising?
Old 09-25-2019, 12:44 AM   #289
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Do you mean Rise of the Skywalker? And if you do, what does that have to do with George Lucas being mad at Disney 4 years ago? Something that we’ve known for 4 years already.

Also, have you seen the prequels? George’s best days are well behind him. If Disney followed his outlines the franchise would be dead right now.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:15 AM   #290
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah.....Disney to George Lucas...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #291
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I think Lucas' script writing and directing would have been pretty bad, I am interested in what exactly his vision was for the final trilogy as oppposed to turning it into the nostagia + reboot that it kind of is right now. The one thing I can say about the prequels was at least they were unique, albeit poorly executed.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 09:59 AM   #292
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think the prequels have aged well though, outside of Phantom Menace. Every time I go back and watch them I really do enjoy watching the dynamic between Palp and Anakin. Ewan Mcgregor was a real treat as well.

More puppeteer and less CGI and I think they would have been better received.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #293
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Practical effects would have definitely elevated the prequels. Comparing pre-CGI sci-fi (Aliens, Blade Runner, etc) movies to stuff that came out in the 90s when directors were gung-ho over the stuff, you can tell the 90s stuff didn't age well at all in terms of the effects. Hell, the CGI "bullet time" in the Matrix looks like absolutely crap now.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #294
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Do you mean Rise of the Skywalker? And if you do, what does that have to do with George Lucas being mad at Disney 4 years ago? Something that we’ve known for 4 years already.

Also, have you seen the prequels? George’s best days are well behind him. If Disney followed his outlines the franchise would be dead right now.

The overall story arc of the prequel trilogy is fine, the problem is that Lucas had no one to reign him in like he did with the originals, so you ended up with a whole lotta crap that didn't need to be in the movies. If they had used his scripts for 7-8-9 as a framework and had some talented writers flesh them out properly I bet the end product would be far better than the disjointed mess we've gotten so far
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #295
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I recently suffered thru Ep 3.

Nothing about the prequels was redeemable. The story arc is awful. Unless you consider anakin turning to the dark side is an overall story arc. But that’s something that’s been in place since the original trilogy. Literally everything else about those 3 movies is awful and beyond redemption. Anakin as a child, Midoclorians like WTF was that crap! the entire senate storyline, the entire Padme story, everything about the clones, Yoda, Wookies, Grievous, Duku was awful. The scripts were awful. The pacing is awful. The dialogue is awful. The acting. Dear god the acting is awful. Even Ewan’s inspired performance couldn’t save that tripe.

Portions of the last 20 mins of Episode 3 had potential but by that point the trilogy is so far beyond saving that it ends up being a rotten cherry on top of a 500lb pile of ####.

Nothing can save the prequels. Nothing.

That doesn’t make TFA and TLJ great or anything but let’s not pretend that anything George would have written would be anything other than awful. Not to mention it likely focused a lot on Luke, Leia and Han and Carrie Fischer’s death aside, that never would have worked with a 40 year gap between movies.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 11:27 AM   #296
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I recently suffered thru Ep 3.

Nothing about the prequels was redeemable. The story arc is awful. Unless you consider anakin turning to the dark side is an overall story arc. But that’s something that’s been in place since the original trilogy. Literally everything else about those 3 movies is awful and beyond redemption. Anakin as a child, Midoclorians like WTF was that crap! the entire senate storyline, the entire Padme story, everything about the clones, Yoda, Wookies, Grievous, Duku was awful. The scripts were awful. The pacing is awful. The dialogue is awful. The acting. Dear god the acting is awful. Even Ewan’s inspired performance couldn’t save that tripe.

Portions of the last 20 mins of Episode 3 had potential but by that point the trilogy is so far beyond saving that it ends up being a rotten cherry on top of a 500lb pile of ####.

Nothing can save the prequels. Nothing.

That doesn’t make TFA and TLJ great or anything but let’s not pretend that anything George would have written would be anything other than awful. Not to mention it likely focused a lot on Luke, Leia and Han and Carrie Fischer’s death aside, that never would have worked with a 40 year gap between movies.

The book is just plain better then the movie, and I like most of Revenge of the Sith. But the book realizes the story in a way that the movie doesn't

In terms of George Lucas, if you look at how Dave Filoni worked with him on the Clone Wars it was perfect. He'd talk to George about story ideas, and they'd flesh it out together and then Dave would go off and create it.

It was similar to Empire Strikes back. You go, George what's the start, the end and any big reveals.

Ok, got it, we'll go write this and direct it.

I'm still convinced that there's no better world inventor and Lore inventor then Lucas. Its the details that murder him.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 11:30 PM   #297
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's happening?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1177089625153687552

Old 09-27-2019, 07:51 AM   #298
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

The prequels are awesome movies and any opinion to the contrary is wrong.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:55 AM   #299
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Apparently Feige is brought in to help manage the overall SWU, as I think there are concerns that things could get a little messy. He did such a good job with the MCU, i'm excited to see what he can do with Star Wars.

It would be really neat to see them break away from the trilogy set up and do some one offs with a culmination. Doesn't mean it needs to be a MCU clone, but there are tons of options.

Step one is taking away Rian Johnson's trilogy and giving the Russo Brothers some titles to work with
Old 09-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #300
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There are so many stories that could be told, for a huge galaxy the stories have been on a relatively small scale and completely focused on what we could generously call the force wars between the Dark and the Light.

Its kind of why I really liked Rogue 1, no real involvement of the Jedi and the Sith at least til the end, when we saw how much more powerful Force Users were then regular people. I even liked Solo because it had no Jedi or Sith, and it was a story of ordinary people in an extra ordinary situation.

I would really like to see the end of this trilogy being a put to rest of the Dark and Light Side of the Force for a while. There are more stories to be told, both in the past and in the future.

Lets face it, in a GFFA the Wars are all on a theological level, its all about the battles between the Dark Side of the Force and the Light Side and it drags ordinary people into it like a sausage machine sucking in meat.

What would the GFFA look like if at the end of the current Trilogy there are no Force Users? That's a story in itself.

If they want to do Force users, maybe do a trilogy of Films based in the Old Republic.