Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2023, 06:12 PM   #281
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Omg omg omg omg omg
Old 08-22-2023, 06:59 PM   #282
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Funny you should say that....we arrived in Calgary y'day and everyone told us we smelled like smoke....and whenever I come into our camper it, too, smells smoky. Sheesh.

What a treat, though, being somewhere one can breathe without difficulty!!

It's stopped raining at home, but is supposed to restart again in a few hours and continue most of today and part of tomorrow. Fingers crossed for all of us.
Hahahaha. It's completely sunny and clear here now
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2023, 07:54 PM   #283
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Hahahaha. It's completely sunny and clear here now

Just heard that from my sis-in-law in SA! It's all about the wind, eh? Oh well...we just started our camping trip a week early really.

Edit: and we got another 4mm overnight. Hopefully both Kelowna and Adams Lake did too.

Last edited by taxbuster; 08-23-2023 at 07:48 AM.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 10:11 AM   #284
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

we finally got some rain over night - not sure how much. but anything is good!

the air is much improved but it's still smokey. it's so nice and cool right now outside (apparently it's 12C), but with two asthmatics in my house all windows and doors remain closed and my AC just kicked in.

we can now see across the lake again - there are lots of columns of smoke still rising from the mountain. it seems weird to see that and be 'relieved'... but i guess compared to a wall of fire columns of smoke are an improvement.
Old 08-23-2023, 05:36 PM   #285
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

One of our favourite wineries (Ex Nihilo) was just allowed back to their location on Camp Road in Lake Country. Hoping our friends and neighbours are all OK!!

I don't think people who aren't around it and haven't experienced that kind of stress - whether directly involved or just "close"...dammit...it's like "community PTSD". It's unbelievably discombobulating.

We are always checking the wildfire site, rain, the cameras....the news....ugh...it's just frickin' tough sometimes.

Fortunately it seems that many can take at least a small sigh of relief ... for now...and hope that it continues.

Meanwhile, I picked all my basil at home, transported it in the camper to Calgary (will the Flames please DO something!!!?) and it is now numerous litres of pesto.
Old 08-25-2023, 06:51 AM   #286
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The B.C. Wildfire Service has confirmed it temporarily pulled out crews fighting fires in the province's Shuswap region after protesters showed up at an RCMP roadblock Wednesday evening in what police say was an effort to "overwhelm'' the blockade.

Police say protesters challenged officers at the blockade on the Trans-Canada Highway, and "threats of violence'' against emergency workers had prompted the Mounties to increase their presence there.
Quote:
They tell officers they do not believe politicians have the right to prevent them using the road, and that it is illegal for the RCMP to block it.

The group, which organized itself on Facebook, had hoped to rally enough support to push through the closure to enter the evacuation zone, saying they planned to support property owners still fighting fires inside.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...946420?cmp=rss

I don't even know what to say on this one....
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2023, 08:09 AM   #287
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

In before "I bet they are from Alberta"
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2023, 08:59 AM   #288
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I bet they all attended Anti-Covid rallies

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2023, 09:25 AM   #289
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are these guys YOHO types that believe the fire situation is either overblown or a false flag intended to propagate the Climate change agenda hoax, and allow the government to have control over who goes down which streets?

Maybe the next time a fire takes out a bridge, don't tell them that is why the road is closed, and they can push through the barricades and it will work like a buffalo jump.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 09:29 AM   #290
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Definitely Yoho types. 3-4 years ago it was tough to imagine people so stupid they would try to overtake emergency services in a place they didn’t even live because they felt they could do a better job protecting residents than firefighters, but COVID broke some brains in a major way.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2023, 09:57 AM   #291
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wildfires are a hoax, the smoke is Soros funded chemtrails. The evacuees are crisis actors so Trudeau can loot hardworking Canadians homes and sell their things to China.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2023, 10:04 AM   #292
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
This area is weird. There's a ton of granola, move here to live off the land types, then a bunch of NDP types who sold modest trillion dollar homes in Vancouver to move here for more affordable housing and spend the difference, then local hillbillies, and a bunch of retired Alberta oil patch people who have summer cabins in that area. All together it's a very strange mix, but the conspiracy nuts are strong. Just outside of Salmon Arm in Enderby was the area with the lowest vaccination rates in the province. Just two weeks ago there was a protest on the side of the road against teachers sexualizing children (????). Lots of trucks with big Canada flags driven by toothless Cletus. They'll park right beside a Porsche SUV and Mercedes. Just weird
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2023, 10:10 AM   #293
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's all a plot by Trudeau to clear land for solar panels.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2023, 10:12 AM   #294
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
This area is weird. There's a ton of granola, move here to live off the land types, then a bunch of NDP types who sold modest trillion dollar homes in Vancouver to move here for more affordable housing and spend the difference, then local hillbillies, and a bunch of retired Alberta oil patch people who have summer cabins in that area. All together it's a very strange mix, but the conspiracy nuts are strong. Just outside of Salmon Arm in Enderby was the area with the lowest vaccination rates in the province. Just two weeks ago there was a protest on the side of the road against teachers sexualizing children (????). Lots of trucks with big Canada flags driven by toothless Cletus. They'll park right beside a Porsche SUV and Mercedes. Just weird
Ya, I never understood the BC saying Alberta is totally redneck thing when interior BC is pretty goddamn redneck itself, probably even moreso. There are some areas that really open your eyes.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2023, 10:14 AM   #295
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Ya, I never understood the BC saying Alberta is totally redneck thing when interior BC is pretty goddamn redneck itself, probably even moreso. There are some areas that really open your eyes.
It was just taken down, but there was a billboard heading to Vernon from here about "Canadians need to wake up" about some RCMP conspiracy I couldn't quite follow. It was basically a Facebook post on a billboard
Old 08-25-2023, 10:14 AM   #296
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Pretty sure the Ram 1500 is the official truck of BC, so that says something
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2023, 10:51 AM   #297
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Wildfires are a Bill Gates conspiracy to try and track my movements via 5G cell phone towers!

I knew it all along!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 11:09 AM   #298
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You could probably draw a continuous area in interior BC, Washington State, Oregon and include rural Alberta, Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming that would have the highest concentration of far right whackos anywhere.

BC, Washington, Oregon and California all seem to have very liberal coasts and very far right wing interiors.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 11:10 AM   #299
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Living in the west Kootenays for a decade I can confirm they've got at least as much of a redneck population per capita as Alberta.

Probably even farther down the redneck ladder lol
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 11:17 AM   #300
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Living in the west Kootenays for a decade I can confirm they've got at least as much of a redneck population per capita as Alberta.

Probably even farther down the redneck ladder lol
I've consistently said that if you leave Victoria/Vancouver farther than your bicycle will take you, you will be astonished.

Most of BC is redneck as hell...Northern BC is essentially Canada's Ozarks.

The reason British Columbians created the 'Alberta Stereotype' was because of Familiarity and Deflection.

Rural BC is hardly alone though, ever been to Rural Ontario or Quebec? Its essentially the same except with a significantly heightened degree of entitlement.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote