Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2020, 09:55 AM   #281
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

edit, oh just saw the update. That is soooooooooo Flames.

"You know how everyone is excited about this finally being the end of those horrible piping jerseys that shouldn't have lasted two years? Well, we could have nailed today, but then we remembered we're the Flames, so the piping jersey will make some appearances this season because we don;t want today to be seen as too perfect by our fans"
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 09:56 AM   #282
Jables16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Given that it was the home jersey I assume there's probably some excess stock left, wearing it as the third for a year probably helps them to clear it out, plus whatever Adidas still has on hand.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:57 AM   #283
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Surprise...!?
You promised good surprise. This is like getting a kid socks for Christmas
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:57 AM   #284
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since retro night would now be redundant, maybe they'll wear the flag jersey on anti-retro night.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #285
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flam...ro/c-319298278

Bad news guys, looks like we'll still see the piping/flag abomination a few times this season.
Have to save the black helmets, pants, gloves, etc for the Blasty jersey anyways right? One last goodbye
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:01 AM   #286
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is some sort of NHL merchandising rules are behind the old current home sticking around and being the alternate (certain number of years that the primary jersey has to be around since a redesign, given the contract with Adidas?).

And/or they're keeping that set, again for some sort of licensing issues etc, to keep the black pants and helmets and gloves in circulation for what is inevitable to be a Black or dark 3rd jersey.

But yes, for the first time in 25 years, no black on jerseys that never should've had black, and only had black due to lazy marketing and branding by those in charge in 1995.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 10:02 AM   #287
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
edit, oh just saw the update. That is soooooooooo Flames.

"You know how everyone is excited about this finally being the end of those horrible piping jerseys that shouldn't have lasted two years? Well, we could have nailed today, but then we remembered we're the Flames, so the piping jersey will make some appearances this season because we don;t want today to be seen as too perfect by our fans"
It is so ridiculous.

For whatever reason this organization has it in there head that the fans actually like the jersey with the flags.

Black C sure lots of people prefer that...but even those fans would prefer the 03-04 jersey.

I doubt there is a single fan that goes "Yeah that jersey with the flags and piping is the one I like best".

Just cut the ties to this jersey and create a new third with a black C.

EDIT: If people want to join the discussion you can reply to Flames Marketing Director Ryan Popowich about it here https://twitter.com/DownWithPopo/sta...845601281?s=20

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-05-2020 at 10:13 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:08 AM   #288
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Boring.

SoulOfTheFlame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:12 AM   #289
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
No flags or piping? Fail.
Hey flames, I was just kidding. Your 3rd jersey idea sucks.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:15 AM   #290
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

The current iteration of the flag jerseys is only three years old. I believe the wordmark alternates were turfed after three years, so unless the rules have changed (which is entirely possible), I agree that they wanted to keep them as an alternate just to be able to clear out some existing merchandise (easier to do when the jersey is still being worn).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:18 AM   #291
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
The current iteration of the flag jerseys is only three years old. I believe the wordmark alternates were turfed after three years, so unless the rules have changed (which is entirely possible), I agree that they wanted to keep them as an alternate just to be able to clear out some existing merchandise (easier to do when the jersey is still being worn).
The word mark alternates, however boring you might find them, were perfectly fine third jerseys.

They were clean, the number font was good, they had nice shoulder patches, and they had a Flaming C on the front.

What else did people want?
Old 10-05-2020, 10:18 AM   #292
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It is so ridiculous.

For whatever reason this organization has it in there head that the fans actually like the jersey with the flags.

Black C sure lots of people prefer that...but even those fans would prefer the 03-04 jersey.

I doubt there is a single fan that goes "Yeah that jersey with the flags and piping is the one I like best".

EDIT: If people want to join the discussion you can reply to Flames Marketing Director Ryan Popowich about it here https://twitter.com/DownWithPopo/sta...845601281?s=20
I think they will unveil a new 3rd jersey for the 21-22 season so for the time being they are keeping the same jersey.

I bet a black jersey will be the design, we just need to be patient.

They want us to buy all the heritage patch-less retros, try and get rid of as much of the the black C jerseys they have left and then have us all throw money at the new 3rd in a year.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:19 AM   #293
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
The word mark alternates, however boring you might find them, were perfectly fine third jerseys.

They were clean, the number font was good, they had nice shoulder patches, and they had a Flaming C on the front.

Not to look like the New Jersey Devils

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryred For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 10:21 AM   #294
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It is so ridiculous.

What can I say. I like the flags.
If this forum is any indicator, I stand in the vast minority
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:21 AM   #295
Kolbe31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not sure if it's been discussed, but someone from the NHL had mentioned that every team will have 4 jerseys this upcoming season. The rumor I've heard is blasty will be that fourth jersey for us (potential twist - it might be white). Some other things I've heard for around the league - Avalanche-coloured Nordiques jersey, Pittsburgh's 90's diagonal text jersey (white). Source: Distributor catalogues from retailers. Although those aren't always gospel, things have been known to change and who knows if/how COVID has affected any of these plans.
Kolbe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kolbe31 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 10:23 AM   #296
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

A white Blasty?!

I'm sure that's been a bad Walmart knockoff jersey before.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 10:26 AM   #297
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
A white Blasty?!

I'm sure that's been a bad Walmart knockoff jersey before.
Any Blasty jersey will sell as well as the wordmark one, and be gone in two seasons

Old 10-05-2020, 10:27 AM   #298
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
My guess is some sort of NHL merchandising rules are behind the old current home sticking around and being the alternate (certain number of years that the primary jersey has to be around since a redesign, given the contract with Adidas?).

And/or they're keeping that set, again for some sort of licensing issues etc, to keep the black pants and helmets and gloves in circulation for what is inevitable to be a Black or dark 3rd jersey.

But yes, for the first time in 25 years, no black on jerseys that never should've had black, and only had black due to lazy marketing and branding by those in charge in 1995.
I don't agree. Like it or not, some people became fans during the 2004 cup run. So to those folks, they only really know the black C and have fond memories of that logo. I really hope they continue to use the black C as the alternate. Sure, they need to get rid of the flags and probably the piping, but there's nothing wrong the the black C symbol itself, or having black on the jersey.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 10:28 AM   #299
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I don't agree. Like it or not, some people became fans during the 2004 cup run. So to those folks, they only really know the black C and have fond memories of that logo. I really hope they continue to use the black C as the alternate. Sure, they need to get rid of the flags and probably the piping, but there's nothing wrong the the black C symbol itself, or having black on the jersey.
Thats why black is on the 3rd

Old 10-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #300
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

I actually think if they use a similar pattern to the wordmark jersey, but replace the logo with the black C, that'd be a real nice looking alternate 3rd.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post: