Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2016, 10:33 PM   #281
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Destiny's made you a bitter, bitter man.

Last edited by Iceman57; 07-14-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iceman57 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2016, 07:38 AM   #282
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
if he wanted to be a Calgary Flame he should have started playing well in October not March
So does that mean Giordano should be cut loose? He was arguably the teams worst non-goaltender player in October. The disdain some fans have for a local boy that's been nothing short of exemplary in the community is pretty disgusting. What did Joe Colborne ever do to some of you to deserve this nonsensical hate?

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 07-15-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #283
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
So does that mean Giordano should be cut loose? He was arguably the teams worst non-goaltender player in October. The disdain some fans have for a local boy that's been nothing short of exemplary in the community is pretty disgusting. What did Joe Colborne ever do to some of you to deserve this nonsensical hate?
Didn't you know, everyone has to be good and consistent all of the time of they are terrible. People have a hard time accepting that 2nd-3rd line players have flaws in their games.

Plus he is a former Leaf. Any for Leaf the Flames acquire gets treated like #### by the fans.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2016, 08:08 AM   #284
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I pretty much agree with MacKinnon's quote (other than the point thing, which I don't understand).

I can't believe Calgary didn't qualify him and CO got him at a cheap price.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:11 AM   #285
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yeah I pretty much agree with MacKinnon's quote (other than the point thing, which I don't understand).

There's a literal 0% chance Calgary would have gotten Colborne for 2.5 mil if we qualified him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2016, 08:24 AM   #286
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

ya, thank God the flames didn't qualify him. That has little to do on the flames getting him signed though, and i think i would have been ok with him at that number with the flames to be honest.

Seemed like a good kid, who was figuring out his place in the NHL. By the same token, i can see why the flames thought it better to not sign him, especially if his camp wanted a higher number than what he eventually signed for wiht the avs.

I think he'll do just fine with avs, and be a 15 goal, 35 point winger who can play basically any forward position and move up and down the depth chart when required.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:44 AM   #287
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

The fact that he got 2.5m x 2 as a UFA tells you all about his value across the league: He is perceived as average to below average.

The fact that Colorado signed him to this deal says a lot too. Their management is bottom 5 in the league.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:42 PM   #288
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are people seriously having trouble with the 'point guy' comment?

Think of it like this: ... for a point <producing> guy...

He was saying Colborne is a guy who puts up points , and he's 6'5"
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2016, 11:18 PM   #289
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Didn't you know, everyone has to be good and consistent all of the time of they are terrible. People have a hard time accepting that 2nd-3rd line players have flaws in their games.

Plus he is a former Leaf. Any for Leaf the Flames acquire gets treated like #### by the fans.
Don't forget the time he got special treatment over the future of the franchise Sven because he needed to clear waivers to be sent down. That also seemed to lock a lot of folks into a one way ticket on the I hate Colborne train.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:03 AM   #290
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
lol what, this is the NHL...I have no problem with him as a person or a player but he didn't do jack #### until it was all over.

Gio was the best d-man in the NHL until injured the previous year he has a longer leash for obvious reasons. Joe is a 3rd liner (no shame) that has just recently become and every day NHLer. If he wanted a long term contract in Calgary he needed to play better when it mattered most...its not just me saying it its a fact. He wasn't qualified because much of his production came when the team was out of it. Brad will tell you as much.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2016, 09:24 AM   #291
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Giordano analogies are interesting. Gio was a late bloomer, playing in Russia at about the same age Colborne scored 19 goals last year.

I don't get how anyone can be so certain that Colborne has reached his full potential and that his finish last year was an aberration.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2016, 09:31 AM   #292
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The Giordano analogies are interesting. Gio was a late bloomer, playing in Russia at about the same age Colborne scored 19 goals last year.

I don't get how anyone can be so certain that Colborne has reached his full potential and that his finish last year was an aberration.
Because the vast majority of players don't turn into top 6 F/top 4 D after the age of 24/25 if they aren't one already. Giordano is an extreme outlier when it comes to the normal progression of hockey players.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:56 AM   #293
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Farmer John's Cheese.

Cannot unsee
Old 07-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #294
BBQorMILDEW
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
No one is hating on him because of his actions in the community. All that's been said is he's soft and wasn't worth having a passenger like him on the team. He's been a big letdown for me since day one. Big guy, 20% compete level. Not a type of player you win with on our third and fourth lines. Not good enough to be in the top 6 either. It took a benching by Hartley & company to get him to show up last season. Not tough enough, nor consistent enough as a flame.

But good on him for his work in the community.
BBQorMILDEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #295
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Had Colborne played with an edge, I'm confident he'd still be here. He is just not that kind of player though, and it's too bad because you can see he's tried to adopt that style. The playoffs last year in particular, you could see him trying to play that way, trying to impose his size on the other team, and the result was just a lot of ill-timed penalties on his behalf.

Joe Colborne is frustrating because he leaves you wanting so much more. He's got the tools... but that type of game does not come naturally to him, and so I don't believe that he can play it effectively.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #296
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Don't forget the time he got special treatment over the future of the franchise Sven because he needed to clear waivers to be sent down. That also seemed to lock a lot of folks into a one way ticket on the I hate Colborne train.
To be fair to those people Colborne was pretty bad at that point. I liked his game last season, and obviously thinks with Sven weren't going to work out regardless, but I can see where those people were coming from.
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #297
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The main argument against Colborne seems to be his late season meaningless points surge. Could it be that he was finally finding his groove and it is just an indication of his future? I think either take is reasonable and feel it was short sighted to let an asset walk.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #298
druetetective
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The Flames will regret letting Colborne walk. Big players take longer to develop and grow into their body.

I can see why they didn't qualify him, but he said he wanted to be in Calgary and that there
was a good chance he will remain a flame-even after he wasn't qualified. This leads me to believe the Flames chose to move on from him regardless of the price tag.

Very poor decision IMO. How do you lose a 6'5 point producing 26 Y.o who is still improving every year for nothing? UGH!
druetetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:37 PM   #299
BBQorMILDEW
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by druetetective View Post
The Flames will regret letting Colborne walk. Big players take longer to develop and grow into their body.

I can see why they didn't qualify him, but he said he wanted to be in Calgary and that there
was a good chance he will remain a flame-even after he wasn't qualified. This leads me to believe the Flames chose to move on from
him regardless of the price tag.

Very poor decision IMO. How do you lose a 6'5 point producing 26 Y.o who is still improving every year for nothing? UGH!
Point producing?
Improving?

Just because the guy was great in the community, doesn't excuse the fact that he was an inconsistent tweener on the ice. Imo getting rid of him is exactly what the flames should be doing. No more passengers on this team.

Last edited by BBQorMILDEW; 07-16-2016 at 06:46 PM.
BBQorMILDEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:47 PM   #300
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQorMILDEW View Post
Point producing?
Improving?

Go look at his stats from the three years of being here. Had a 16 point decline from 2 seasons ago. He wasn't getting any better, in fact, worse than his first year of being here.
Wut?

In his three years in Calgary (his first three years in the NHL) he had 28, 28 and 44 points.

Year 1 - 0.35 points per game - 14:16 ice time
Year 2 - 0.44 points per game - 15:25 ice time
Year 3 - 0.60 points per game - 15:09 ice time

His production most certainly improved in his time in Calgary.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post: