Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2016, 09:15 PM   #281
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski is now at 30 points in 30 games and leads the Friars in points. He is also tied for first in goals with 13, and is second in assists with 17.

His shooting percentage is 19.1%, which is second on the team. Gilmour leads the team with a shooting percentage of 21.1%.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:11 PM   #282
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

We are in the final 2 weeks of the NCAA regular season.

Jankowski, Deblouw, and Gilmour are playing their final string of college games. Flames hold their exclusive rights until August 15.

Providence is currently 5th in the pairwise rankings, so very likely they make the NCAA tournament even if they fall flat in the Hockey East championships. The NCAA final is on April 9th, but Providence could be eliminated as early in the regionals on March 25-27.

Michigan State is 48th in the pairwise rankings and won't be invited to the NCAA championships unless they win the Big 10 tournament. Could be done as soon as March 17.

Not sure if Gilmour and Deblouw warrant NHL contracts, but at the very least you have to figure they would join Stockton once their college seasons are done, assuming the Flames have interest in bringing them pro.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #283
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gilmour is almost a PPG defensemen, should warrant at least a look, no?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:23 PM   #284
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Agreed, Gilmour seemed to be a fairly steady NCAA player while in Jankowski's shadow.

I say give them the Gaudreau/Arnold treatment (don't worry I'm not saying Jankowski is comparable to Johnny's skill). Sign them both and give them a taste of the NHL in the last couple games of the season. Then Gilmour ripens in the AHL while Jankowski steps into the NHL in a sheltered 3rd line role.

Also I'm sure if Jankowski had any bit of doubt of whether or not to sign with the Flames it would be nullified with Gilmour signing also.

Last edited by Bandwagon In Flames; 02-16-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2016, 09:44 PM   #285
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
Agreed, Gilmour seemed to be a fairly steady NCAA player while in Jankowski's shadow.

I say give them the Gaudreau/Arnold treatment (don't worry I'm not saying Jankowski is comparable to Johnny's skill). Sign them both and give them a taste of the NHL in the last couple games of the season. Then Gilmour ripens in the AHL while Jankowski steps into the NHL in a sheltered 3rd line role.

Also I'm sure if Jankowski had any bit of doubt of whether or not to sign with the Flames it would be nullified with Gilmour signing also.
I think from a statistical standpoint, Gilmour has put together as impressive or even more impressive a season than Jankowski.

He could be a Kris Russell type defenseman.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:49 PM   #286
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I think from a statistical standpoint, Gilmour has put together as impressive or even more impressive a season than Jankowski.

He could be a Kris Russell type defenseman.
While Gilmours potential is there, his size is a similar issue that Russell had to overcome. Jankowski has the size to more easily translate his game to the NHL even if it's not in a top-6 role.

I think Jankowski has a better chance of stepping right into the NHL because of that. Not to mention Defensemen usually need some AHL time when going pro.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:04 PM   #287
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Flames have to identify the guys they want going forward on defense, especially next season. You'd like to see both Nakladal and one of Wotherspoon, Kulak and Culkin make the team out of camp next year.

After that it's a log game in Stockton. Rasmus Andersson, Keenan Kanzig and Jon Gilmore all join the team next year. They join atleast two of the three I mentioned not making the team above, Sieloff, Kylington as returnees. That's already seven maybe eight games. I'd be shocked if Gilmour isn't signed but the Flames have to manage ice time for all these guys.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:57 PM   #288
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Flames have to identify the guys they want going forward on defense, especially next season. You'd like to see both Nakladal and one of Wotherspoon, Kulak and Culkin make the team out of camp next year.

After that it's a log game in Stockton. Rasmus Andersson, Keenan Kanzig and Jon Gilmore all join the team next year. They join atleast two of the three I mentioned not making the team above, Sieloff, Kylington as returnees. That's already seven maybe eight games. I'd be shocked if Gilmour isn't signed but the Flames have to manage ice time for all these guys.
Not to mention Rafikov and Ollas-Mattsson who are both already playing pro hockey in Europe, and could/should come over any year now.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:07 PM   #289
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post

I'd like to see Nakladal back and playing regularly in the NHL next season with the Flames.

I don't think Wotherspoon has a future with the organization. Unless you a blue chipper, I think players need 3 full AHL seasons, and by that 3rd season they need to have been one of the best players at that level. Wotherspoon is in his 3rd season in the AHL and has arguably regressed. He probably needs a change of scenery.

In the same vein, Culkin and Kulak need more seasoning. Both guys have essentially only had 1 full AHL season up to this point so, they need two more full seasons in the AHL and in that third season, they need to be the best players on that team.

Andersson and Kylington are potential blue chippers and might not need the full three seasons, but I would at least expect two seasons in the AHL for them.

Kanzig will need 3 for sure and Gilmour, as an older college player, will likely have to prove himself in 2 seasons. Actually, I think the best place for Kanzig next season is the ECHL. I don't think we can expect to see Kanzig in the NHL till he's at least 24.

I think Sieloff is an interesting case. This will be his 2nd full season in the AHL, so I think he still has time. What makes him interesting is that he plays a game that is different from every other defense prospect with the exception of Kanzig, that is as a shut down, physical defender. With Smid and Engelland's contract expiring after next season, it sets up perfectly for Sieloff to fill that role, assuming he develops well next season. I noticed in the boxscores recently that he was named a star despite not putting any points on the board, perhaps he is starting to have that defensive physical impact that he was projected to?

Last edited by 868904; 02-16-2016 at 11:10 PM.
868904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #290
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post

I haven't seen Jankowski play a single game this year so my opinion is only informed by stats and reading other's views but isn't it a bit optimistic to think he is ready to step right into the NHL?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #291
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I haven't seen Jankowski play a single game this year so my opinion is only informed by stats and reading other's views but isn't it a bit optimistic to think he is ready to step right into the NHL?
I think he's suggesting you give him a taste, like 1-2 games. We did the same with Hanowski, Agostino, Gaudreau and Arnold and of them only Gaudreau was NHL ready. Rebuilding teams lately give some games to college players right after their seasons end. It's an incentive to sign because they burn a year of their deal and get to free agency sooner.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #292
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
IMO yes. I've seen people compare him to Russell but I don't think he's that small a player. I think he's about the same size as Kylington. His game from what I've seen has a lot to like, offensive upside, defense, skating, and just the way he carries himself on the ice exudes leadership. The only concern for me is that he's another prospect in that Brodie mold, not too physical, relies on stickwork, etc. I think he's a good prospect but is he worth signing when Kulak, Culkin, Brodie, Morrisson, Kylington, (Russell), Hamilton, (and maybe even Wotherspoon) all want to play that way? Whereas Hickey, Andersson, Sieloff, Ollas-Mattsson, are guys who offer something more physically.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #293
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I think he's suggesting you give him a taste, like 1-2 games. We did the same with Hanowski, Agostino, Gaudreau and Arnold and of them only Gaudreau was NHL ready. Rebuilding teams lately give some games to college players right after their seasons end. It's an incentive to sign because they burn a year of their deal and get to free agency sooner.
Yeah I am on board with that particularly since Jankowski can be a free agent in August. I thought the poster was suggesting he was ready to be an NHL regular.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:35 PM   #294
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

After being down 2-0 with 6:25 left in the 3rd, Friars come back to win 3-2 in OT.

Jankowski assisted on the OT winner. Jankowski made the orignal shot putting the goalie out of position, and the puck found its way to Mingoia who had a wide open net.

31gp 13g 18a 31pts

Gilmour had a rough night 0pts -2.

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-19-2016 at 07:38 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2016, 11:31 PM   #295
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Jankowski with another assist tonight to keep his point per game pace as providence won 3-1. Nothing for Gilmour.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesrule14 For This Useful Post:
FBI
Old 02-20-2016, 11:48 PM   #296
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hickey and DeBlouw did not play in their team's games on Saturday night. Harrison had 2 assists in Colgate's game.

On the season:
  • Harrison : 7G/6A in 31 games
  • DeBlouw : 6G/5A in 23 games
  • Hickey : 5G/3A in 29 games
  • Gilmour : 8G/12A in 28 games
  • Jankowski : 13G/19A in 32 games
Old 02-21-2016, 06:40 AM   #297
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gilmour is more Giordano than he is Russell. The similarities in their playing style at the same age is actually kind of spooky. Gilmour could be a gem if they give him a chance. I really like the way he thinks the game and reads plays.

A guy flying under radar right now is Harrison. He's a guy that I think fills a need on the Flames. He's got speed to burn and is a pest. He loves the physical stuff too. I could see him being one of those energy players, providing a boost like Byron did for us last season. He's not going to be a big time scorer, but he will kill penalties and drive defensemen crazy on the forecheck.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2016, 06:11 PM   #298
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Providence boys each pick up a PP assist on a Saracino goal 1-0 Friars
2-0 Friars as a type that. SH goal, no points but Jankowski was on the ice.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:21 PM   #299
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Jankowski will finish the NCAA regular season at aleast a PPG.

Scored a goal in the 1st. 1-0. Final NCAA regular season game for the Friars
Old 02-27-2016, 05:33 PM   #300
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Jankowski and Gilmour assists to make it 2-0 still in the first.

Then as I type this Gilmour makes it 3-0.

1g + 1a so far both so far