Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #281
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Getting really frustrated with Windows 10 right now. I can't seem to share files between my surface and computer. I've had computers for 20 years now and I can't get this going after an hour of trying. God damn it microsoft.

Keeps asking me for credentials that I haven't set and been tryign to disable passwords for so long. FFS
TBH, this has frustrated me since Windows 7 (maybe Vista?) because of how hidden it is, presumably in an effort to push Homegroup.

Right click on the Start button, go to Control Panel.
1) If you have the Small icons / Large icons view chosen (top right corner), click Network and Sharing Center. If not, go to #2.
2) If you have the Category view chosen, click Choose homegroup and sharing options under the heading Network and internet.

Click Change advanced sharing settings... (left hand side for #1, middle of the screen for #2).

Expand All Networks at the bottom of the window.
The last option should be Password protected sharing, click Turn off password protected sharing.

This actually confused me because installing Windows 10, despite keeping the majority of my other settings, reset my sharing settings to the restrictive defaults, meaning my HTPC could no longer pull media from my Windows 10 PC and my consoles couldn't stream from my network shares.

Pro-tip - if you're on the Insider Program, you'll also want to go into the 'Choose media streaming options' on this pane, and ensure it's turned on, particularly after a new build has been installed.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2015, 07:58 PM   #282
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

thanks for the post TD... but I knew that already. I kept trying in that screen to see what I was missing.

You know what it was? STUPID ms account not a local account. I went back to local account and had zero issues.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2015, 08:02 PM   #283
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
thanks for the post TD... but I knew that already. I kept trying in that screen to see what I was missing.

You know what it was? STUPID ms account not a local account. I went back to local account and had zero issues.
I noticed when I have all my computers signed in with one MS account everything is butter, one on a local account and that computer would have issues.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:48 PM   #284
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

ya, i was one local, one ms.

i dont see a need for ms account. turned that junk off. espcially cuz i want to stream to my computer to my wd live device

Last edited by White Out 403; 08-29-2015 at 08:51 PM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #285
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
TBH, this has frustrated me since Windows 7 (maybe Vista?) because of how hidden it is, presumably in an effort to push Homegroup.

Right click on the Start button, go to Control Panel.
1) If you have the Small icons / Large icons view chosen (top right corner), click Network and Sharing Center. If not, go to #2.
2) If you have the Category view chosen, click Choose homegroup and sharing options under the heading Network and internet.

Click Change advanced sharing settings... (left hand side for #1, middle of the screen for #2).

Expand All Networks at the bottom of the window.
The last option should be Password protected sharing, click Turn off password protected sharing.

This actually confused me because installing Windows 10, despite keeping the majority of my other settings, reset my sharing settings to the restrictive defaults, meaning my HTPC could no longer pull media from my Windows 10 PC and my consoles couldn't stream from my network shares.

Pro-tip - if you're on the Insider Program, you'll also want to go into the 'Choose media streaming options' on this pane, and ensure it's turned on, particularly after a new build has been installed.
These are the things I had to do to get the PS3 media server running.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:59 AM   #286
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Ugh, the Windows 10 wifi options are terrible. No way to modify the connection properties, the only thing it lets you do is forget a network and then reconnect to it. Supporting Windows 8 wifi was one of the biggest pains in the ass working in IT, very disappointed to see it's going to continue being a PITA for 10
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:06 PM   #287
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
Looks like someone created a small app that can help you change a bunch of the privacy settings in a small simple package.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015...ws-10-spyware/

Haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but will be giving it a shot when I get home.
The software from the windows club is legit, have no fear.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #288
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Ugh, the Windows 10 wifi options are terrible. No way to modify the connection properties, the only thing it lets you do is forget a network and then reconnect to it. Supporting Windows 8 wifi was one of the biggest pains in the ass working in IT, very disappointed to see it's going to continue being a PITA for 10
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but can't you just scroll down to advanced settings?
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:00 PM   #289
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but can't you just scroll down to advanced settings?
You can view the properties of a Wi-Fi connection under advanced settings, but you can't change anything
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:38 AM   #290
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Check in Task Manager under performance tab and select CPU. In the bottom section, see what it lists for "cores" and "logical processors" and make sure it matches what you should have. I've heard of one case where the upgrade caused Windows to revert to 1 core. If that is the case I can let you know how to fix it.
I checked it and noticed no issues. (4 cores and 8 logical processors IIRC).

What I did do though instead though helped a lot.

I went to privacy and settings/background apps and disabled 3/4 of them. (ie: alarm clock processes, Edge and other items).
Also went to update settings and removed the P2P settings.

It seems to be FAR less likely to do the 3-6 second lagging when opening too many windows. I am happier with the performance now that I am able to disable these darn programs.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:27 AM   #291
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
You can view the properties of a Wi-Fi connection under advanced settings, but you can't change anything
Nothing in: Settings/Network and internet/Wifi tab?
Old 08-31-2015, 02:31 PM   #292
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Anyone else have problems with Live Tiles only working intermittently? I love live tiles, but more than half the time I just see a static icon, not my latest photos/updated weather/latest emails etc. It seems better for a bit after a reboot but I haven't totally figured it out. Sometimes some work, others don't.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:24 PM   #293
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Anyone else have problems with Live Tiles only working intermittently? I love live tiles, but more than half the time I just see a static icon, not my latest photos/updated weather/latest emails etc. It seems better for a bit after a reboot but I haven't totally figured it out. Sometimes some work, others don't.
Haven't noticed that, sorry. Has anyone used the offline map function yet? Wondering if it's a good vacation tool.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #294
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

^ Can you provide more detail on that? I'll be taking my Surface on a big road trip soon. That sounds like it could be handy.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #295
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So windows 7 and windows 8 apparently are downloading windows 10 even if you haven't reserved a copy. Total BS as I am on a microwave link at home. I had a really hard time working from home last week as I couldn't figure out why my network was crawling. Turns out it was windows downloading three copies for all my machines I have.

That's it for me. I'm done with windows as a home machine. It'll be around in a rarely used VM to support my work life but that's it.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...e-just-in-case
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:26 PM   #296
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, my desktop computer still hasn't updated even though I've had a copy reserved since late July/early August. Anyone else still waiting?
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #297
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
So, my desktop computer still hasn't updated even though I've had a copy reserved since late July/early August. Anyone else still waiting?
I am, mostly because 7 works good enough for me at the moment.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #298
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it really slow personally.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:50 PM   #299
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I am, mostly because 7 works good enough for me at the moment.
I mean that mine isn't even giving me the option to update. My laptop updated right away, seems weird that my desktop hasn't yet. I actually think I reserved it for the desktop computer first.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:35 AM   #300
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
^ Can you provide more detail on that? I'll be taking my Surface on a big road trip soon. That sounds like it could be handy.
Sorry, forgot to check the thread while on vacation.

In a nutshell, might be great on Windows phone 8, less useful on a surface. I would suggest another app on your phone if possible, or maybe a contract less windows phone 8 with dummy sim with all the maps downloaded? (Not sure how GPS is on these maps though, sorry)

Essentially it's a nice offline map, but with no GPS, it's just that, a compact map on an electronic device. I relied more on using google maps on my phone when possible and using the GPS to navigate the correct direction. It's a great tool though and essentially a replacement to the maps.me app. However on a phone, maps.me still has the ability to use GPS to point you in the correct direction

Last edited by DoubleF; 09-13-2015 at 06:41 AM.