Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2019, 08:09 PM   #281
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

So Rey has all of the remaining Jedi teachings in the books. She showed in TLJ she wasn't afraid to look into the dark side in that cave scene. She was a salavager in TFA, going into the star destroyer. So maybe she goes looking for the equivalent teachings from the dark side in the wreckage of the old death star, and finds a holocron. I thought that's what it looked like she was surveying in one scene of that teaser.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:14 PM   #282
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked Episode 8, but let's go for more fan service. I mean, at this point it's just a bit of Disney-fied nostalgia anyway.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 09:27 PM   #283
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

After that tease, if Palpatine is just some flashback or recording and not a major character (either a ghost or in the flesh or something) then I am never seeing another Star Wars movie.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:33 PM   #284
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
After that tease, if Palpatine is just some flashback or recording and not a major character (either a ghost or in the flesh or something) then I am never seeing another Star Wars movie.
Even better, it’s purely a red herring. Like Hulk in the IW trailer. Palpatine won’t be featured in the movie. Not as a main character, not a force ghost, not a recording or flashback. Not even a single mention.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:22 PM   #285
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today’s youth see that trailer and see nothing of interest.My teens interest in Star Wars is non existent.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:24 PM   #286
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I’ve watched it at least 20 times with both my nephews.

Star Wars is more popular than ever. They even like the prequels even though they came out before they were born. But I take no credit for that.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:02 AM   #287
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Even better, it’s purely a red herring. Like Hulk in the IW trailer. Palpatine won’t be featured in the movie. Not as a main character, not a force ghost, not a recording or flashback. Not even a single mention.
JJ Abrams is the master of the empty box, wouldn't surprise me if he's doing it in trailers.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:32 AM   #288
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Today’s youth see that trailer and see nothing of interest.My teens interest in Star Wars is non existent.
Yeah, a few people have said that based on anecdotal evidence and it just doesn’t line up. 3/4 of the Disney-era Star Wars movies sit in the #1, #8, and #11 all time domestic grosses. You don’t hit numbers like that appealing to only 30-60 old nostalgic Star Wars fans. Yeah, Solo bombed, but the franchise isn’t in any real trouble until one of these big movies struggles.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:30 AM   #289
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Solo was in a weird spot, it came out only a few months after The Last Jedi, and too not much fan fair, likely because The Last Jedi was lackluster at best, and I'm pretty much game for anything Star Wars related, it was simply a poorly done movie that had some beautiful cinematography. The only moment I found myself enjoying it was when Yoda popped in.

If someone like me that likes Star Wars to the degree I do couldn't get into it, then I wonder what the average movie goer thought.

Solo on the other hand was solid, as was Rogue One.

Depending how Episode 9 goes, I may change my view slightly on 8, but a movie should be good enough to stand alone regardless of what comes before or after it.
RinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #290
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

We've beat this conversation to death in this thread multiple times, TLJ sucked, it affected Solo's sales, Disney panicked and scrapped what I am sure would have been two great movies in the Boba Fett bounty-hunters-r-us-adventure and Obi-Wan 'prequel'.

I am sure they tightened up their stuff for Episode 9, Lucas was confirmed as a consultant by Abrams for the script, it will be good.

After this Disney said they are taking a break from Star Wars movies, so we will have the TV shows in November but nothing is announced as of now.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:39 AM   #291
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonInBothHands View Post
So Rey has all of the remaining Jedi teachings in the books. She showed in TLJ she wasn't afraid to look into the dark side in that cave scene. She was a salavager in TFA, going into the star destroyer. So maybe she goes looking for the equivalent teachings from the dark side in the wreckage of the old death star, and finds a holocron. I thought that's what it looked like she was surveying in one scene of that teaser.
Its an entire film of Daisy Ridley flipping through pages...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:50 AM   #292
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its an entire film of Daisy Ridley flipping through pages...
Couldn’t be worse than TLJ! Amirite?
Old 04-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #293
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Couldn’t be worse than TLJ! Amirite?
Well, its no Phantom Menace...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #294
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well, its no Phantom Menace...

You know its sad, because out of all of the movies, that one for me is tough to watch. I'm a big proponent of being able to take things that you like out of any movie and hoping it outweighs the bad.

The good

Darth Maul, especially the fight with the Jedi. That 5 second exchange with Obi-Wan after Qui-gon got run through was excellent

The great

Darth Sidious/Palpatine - He was the star of this movie in my mind. He manipulated everyone in this movie. That scene where Padme shames him about the Senate and states that she's going home to fight after Palpatine begs her to stay where its safe. And as she's leaving he looks up with a bit of a smirk and you can hear the wheels turning.

Liam as Qui-Gon - Fantastic piece of casting and he was simply excellent as was Ewan.

Other then that, it was over CGI's, Anakin as a 10 year old was just a bad choice, and Jar Jar, though George redeemed himself on that one.

I get that Star Wars is about action figures, but this opener to the fall of Vader could have been fixed with two moves. Make Anakin and his mother's slavery actual slavery. Make Anakin 15 or 16 and filled with hints of Vader.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:05 AM   #295
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You know its sad, because out of all of the movies, that one for me is tough to watch. I'm a big proponent of being able to take things that you like out of any movie and hoping it outweighs the bad.

The good

Darth Maul, especially the fight with the Jedi. That 5 second exchange with Obi-Wan after Qui-gon got run through was excellent

The great

Darth Sidious/Palpatine - He was the star of this movie in my mind. He manipulated everyone in this movie. That scene where Padme shames him about the Senate and states that she's going home to fight after Palpatine begs her to stay where its safe. And as she's leaving he looks up with a bit of a smirk and you can hear the wheels turning.

Liam as Qui-Gon - Fantastic piece of casting and he was simply excellent as was Ewan.

Other then that, it was over CGI's, Anakin as a 10 year old was just a bad choice, and Jar Jar, though George redeemed himself on that one.

I get that Star Wars is about action figures, but this opener to the fall of Vader could have been fixed with two moves. Make Anakin and his mother's slavery actual slavery. Make Anakin 15 or 16 and filled with hints of Vader.
That movie was about selling action figures, Pepsi and KFC, pimping ridiculous blood tests and semi-closeted racism disguised by using aliens.

There are pretty well no redeeming qualities to The Phantom Menace.

The lightsaber duel was kind of cool. Not cool enough.

Its bad and it should feel bad for being bad.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #296
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Obviously whether it succeeds or not is all about the execution. On its face though, having Palpatine come back seems like the kind of thing a 90s show that jumped the shark 2 seasons ago would do.

Also, the whole point of the first 6 movies was that Vader redeems himself by killing Palpatine.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #297
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, a few people have said that based on anecdotal evidence and it just doesn’t line up. 3/4 of the Disney-era Star Wars movies sit in the #1, #8, and #11 all time domestic grosses. You don’t hit numbers like that appealing to only 30-60 old nostalgic Star Wars fans. Yeah, Solo bombed, but the franchise isn’t in any real trouble until one of these big movies struggles.
Yeah I don’t purport to have any data behind my belief other than what my kids and their friends talk about. There is too much marketing and ancillary Star Wars product out there for the franchise to die.

But I’m willing to bet this movie is going to disappoint at the box office. The trend line is headed in the wrong direction.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #298
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkRat View Post
Solo was in a weird spot, it came out only a few months after The Last Jedi, and too not much fan fair, likely because The Last Jedi was lackluster at best, and I'm pretty much game for anything Star Wars related, it was simply a poorly done movie that had some beautiful cinematography. The only moment I found myself enjoying it was when Yoda popped in.

If someone like me that likes Star Wars to the degree I do couldn't get into it, then I wonder what the average movie goer thought.

Solo on the other hand was solid, as was Rogue One.

Depending how Episode 9 goes, I may change my view slightly on 8, but a movie should be good enough to stand alone regardless of what comes before or after it.
I thought Solo was fine, but it was utterly pointless. It had that one big reveal, but it wasn't anything like Vader showing up in R1.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #299
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
After this Disney said they are taking a break from Star Wars movies, so we will have the TV shows in November but nothing is announced as of now.
No specific movies announced, but Disney is putting Rian Johnson back in charge of mapping out the next 10 years

http://collider.com/upcoming-star-wa...s-rian-johnson

So much for hoping they'd put someone competent at the helm

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 04-16-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:08 PM   #300
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
No specific movies announced, but Disney is putting Rian Johnson back in charge of mapping out the next 10 years

http://collider.com/upcoming-star-wa...s-rian-johnson

So much for hoping they'd put someone competent at the helm

You left out the part where it says he's actually working together with the Game of Thrones guys, which sounds fine to me.

Quote:
Kennedy said the creative braintrust will be mapping out a strategy, and central to that strategy are new film series from Star Wars: The Last Jedi writer/director Rian Johnson and Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. We previously learned that Johnson was creating a new trilogy of Star Wars films focusing on new characters in a new setting, and Benioff and Weiss were separately hired to create their own new series of films. But Kennedy tells EW that Benioff and Weiss are actually working together with Johnson to plan out the future of the franchise:

“As they finish Game of Thrones, they’re going to segue into Star Wars,” Kennedy said. “They’re working very closely with Rian.”
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:

Tags
nerd rage