Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:05 PM   #2961
InSutterWeTrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This decision had me wondering if other low cost airliners in North America have upgraded to a plane like this before, since WestJet doesn't have business of first class, I was searching some seat maps on seat guru to have an idea of what the seating will look like. Came across this one from British Airways. This BA can hold 259 passengers. Nice increase from the current 150ish their current lineup hold. Looking forward to flying these to Hawaii from Calgary!

Old 07-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #2962
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will probably look more like a Rouge 763, with a small up level cabin at the front with better pitch.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:22 PM   #2963
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post

Going to take a while to get used to that.
WestJet needs to ditch the early 90's lame-o look and color scheme with their new widebodies
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #2964
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It will probably look more like a Rouge 763, with a small up level cabin at the front with better pitch.
Hearing it wil be aprx 262 seats, compared to 280 on Rouge. The economy seat pitch will be nicer on WS. Also plan to have the Panasonic IFEC entertainment system that's due to be installed on the 737 fleet.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:37 PM   #2965
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rouge has 2 fins in a 264 seat config, with 30" pitch in Y.

If WS can cut back on the "premium" seats and go 31-34" pitch which would match Y in normal AC 763's, they can go ahead and market their planes is notably more comfortable than Rouge.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #2966
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

edit: nm
Old 07-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #2967
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I dunno, I mean, Emirates is going to have what, 140 A380's in service in the next 5 years or so?

If they can ever get approval from the Canadian government, we could see a seasonal 1 or 2 x weekly flight to YYC, maybe?
I'll never understand the bilateral negotiations that the Canadian government has with other countries.

Emirates wanted to serve YVR on a route that posed no threat to Air Canada. The opportunity was stymied because we got nothing in return. How does that make sense?...

''The Phaneuf - Regehr pairing reminds me a lot of when I'm having sex with a new partner'' -malcomk14
''Not only is he a good player, but I enjoy his company'' -Pierre Mcguire on Phaneuf

"I'm only watching now for the chance to see brief close-ups of White's moustache." - rockstar
</br>
Old 07-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #2968
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The A380 is not the type of aircraft you deploy on a seasonal weekly flight to a low yield destination. Emirates A380 have 90 first/business seats which pay the bills, and YYC would fill like 10 of 'em.

Granted, Emirates is seemingly trying to take over the world (look no further than the insanely huge A380 order you mention) so I'm sure they're constantly monitoring every possible destination, but they way they currently operate, YYC wouldn't make sense.
Not sure if the route would be as thin as you expect it to be. Although I agree an A380 is a bit much, likely to be served by a 777-300ER.

http://www.accomponent.ca/en/news/em...ss-calgary-hub

Emirates has been trying for a while to get to Western Canada.

''The Phaneuf - Regehr pairing reminds me a lot of when I'm having sex with a new partner'' -malcomk14
''Not only is he a good player, but I enjoy his company'' -Pierre Mcguire on Phaneuf

"I'm only watching now for the chance to see brief close-ups of White's moustache." - rockstar
</br>
Old 07-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #2969
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I'll never understand the bilateral negotiations that the Canadian government has with other countries.

Emirates wanted to serve YVR on a route that posed no threat to Air Canada. The opportunity was stymied because we got nothing in return. How does that make sense?...
I feel like I've read somewhere that Vancouver is trying to become the Dubai of the west. Essentially to have Europe connect via YVR on the way to Asia rat herb than through DXB.

If that is the case, there's the opportunity stymied. It's not direct route competition but more so airport competition.

Again, this could be my horrible memory making up stories on me.

Edit: This is probably the underlying issue: http://www.pacificgateway.gov.bc.ca/index.htm

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son

Last edited by Maritime Q-Scout; 07-30-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #2970
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Speaking from Vancouver's Olympic media centre..."

That article couldn't be any more current.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #2971
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
"Speaking from Vancouver's Olympic media centre..."

That article couldn't be any more current.
Which further solidifies my point on the glacial negotiations, nothing has changed since then!

It's an interesting point to raise regarding YVR being the DBX of W. Canada. There are of course a huge number of OD passengers from Asia ending up in YVR, but the funny thing is there is also a large amount of flow traffic ending up in YYC to connect onto other domestic markets (YYC has superior connectivity, given Westjet's hub presence).

So really, YYC should be capturing a lot of the (direct) Asian traffic that YVR currently gets, instead of the passengers connecting through YVR to YYC.

What I'm also implying is that there is definitely demand for direct service from plenty of Asian locations to YYC.

</br>
Old 07-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #2972
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Westjet

Maybe that is where Westjet tries to make a foothold is the Orient. They can reach it with the 767 or whatever they decide to go if new planes quite easily. Only the one AC to Tokyo from here and would allow them to move hub traffic from YYC all over.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #2973
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Found on the page:

Old 07-30-2014, 03:45 PM   #2974
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Human livestock I presume.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #2975
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Hey, I never said it was going to work (or even that it was a good idea) just that I remembered hearing something about it and then found that link (proving in not crazy, not proving that it's the best or even a viable course of action).

Perhaps Emirates couldn't get into the Calgary market BECAUSE WestJet was preparing to make an international push?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 07-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #2976
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Emirates was denied because our government didn't want a carrier that will run a loss on routes to take them over, competing against our national carriers.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #2977
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Emirates was denied because our government didn't want a carrier that will run a loss on routes to take them over, competing against our national carriers.
Also:

Getting free fuel and subsidized planes with their own government money? Emirates is a shady character if you dig deep enough
Old 07-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #2978
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
This might be a reasonable argument when they wanted to up the frequency in Toronto (thereby competing on a route served by Air Canada). But the routes aren't served in either YYC or YVR, so why deny them?

The government claims there is currently enough seats to satisfy demand, but why stop an airline creating choices for customers on a route that isn't served anyway? And besides, I'm sure enough demand will be stimulated between YYC and DBX (two large oil hubs) to perhaps get them close to break-even.

It's not secret that Emirates can enter a market and endure losses for a good long time. They have that in their arsenal, I get it. But why stop a potential service that is hugely beneficial to us as customers, and not at all a threat to our airline?

</br>
The Following User Says Thank You to Leon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #2979
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yes, that pesky desire to have an even playing field and 2 way street in bilateral air deals.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:02 AM   #2980
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
What I'm also implying is that there is definitely demand for direct service from plenty of Asian locations to YYC.
What there isn't at the moment is slots (PEK), the correctly sized airplane, and an airline willing to take the hit.
Closed Thread

Tags
airplanes , avgeeks , aviation , flight , spotters