Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #2961
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Live on French Amazon. I'd imagine we'll see it at some point.
Well, that's one way to finally "sell" some Vitas.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #2962
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Megaman is going to be in Smash Bros!?

Well, that sold me.

Quote:
You have the Vita/PS4 combination?
PS4 is on the docket, so is the Vita, but I am in no rush to get either. I want the Vita as a Square Enix JRPG playing machine and PS4 cause... well Wii S 4 U. Though Wii BOne U is gaining steam with that catchy amalgamation.

I have no real interest in most PS4 titles since I'll likely get most cross platform stuff for PC.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 06-05-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:45 PM   #2963
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

North America May NPD release time. Wii U hardware up 85% from last year, with just two days of MK8 sales.

Leaks (via Neogaf/twitter) also seem to indicate roughly a 2.5:1 PS4/Xbone ratio with Microsoft announcing the removal of Kinect part way through the month.

I'd imagine a lot of pent up demand next month, probably for all 3 systems with the E3 hype.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #2964
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will be interesting to see how the XBox One and PS4 perform post E3.

If I didn't already have a system my takeaway would have been "Meh, nothing great until the end of 2014, I'll wait a little longer".

However with the strong E3 showing, and cheap price point available frequently the Wii U will likely see a strong showing over the next couple months.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #2965
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
North America May NPD release time. Wii U hardware up 85% from last year, with just two days of MK8 sales.

Leaks (via Neogaf/twitter) also seem to indicate roughly a 2.5:1 PS4/Xbone ratio with Microsoft announcing the removal of Kinect part way through the month.

I'd imagine a lot of pent up demand next month, probably for all 3 systems with the E3 hype.
Seems about right for the numbers, I bet loads of people are holding off buying the Xbox One now because of the coming Kinect removal. Shows you it wasn't a very popular thing even among Xbox loyalists compared to price.

Sales line up with vgchartz numbers
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:31 AM   #2966
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am wondering if we'll see a shift here in Canada. Everyone seemed to make such a big deal about the difference in price points last year. Here in Canada you can now get an Xbox for $399 versus a PS4 for $449. Interesting to note that only Sony has increased the cost of their consoles in Canada. I guess they need to squeeze every cent they can in order to get out of debt.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #2967
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I am wondering if we'll see a shift here in Canada. Everyone seemed to make such a big deal about the difference in price points last year. Here in Canada you can now get an Xbox for $399 versus a PS4 for $449. Interesting to note that only Sony has increased the cost of their consoles in Canada. I guess they need to squeeze every cent they can in order to get out of debt.
$399 but inferior hardware, and at the end of the day canada doesn't make or break anything. All upcoming software are multiplats that will be better on PS4, until Halo I doubt xbox see a big jump
Old 06-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #2968
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've mostly avoided the glorious digital future but this can't hurt:

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/18/ps...nt-pre-orders/

The PlayStation 4 will soon support pre-loading via the PlayStation Store, starting with Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark, due on June 24. As will be the case with all pre-orders going live after May 20, Sony says, you'll be able to download the game's files a few days in advance of its release date (even from standby mode), after which it will become unlocked on your console.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2014, 10:36 PM   #2969
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

^That's pretty sweet
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:20 PM   #2970
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still waiting on things like instant resume and DLNA.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:29 PM   #2971
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've mostly avoided the glorious digital future but this can't hurt:

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/18/ps...nt-pre-orders/

The PlayStation 4 will soon support pre-loading via the PlayStation Store, starting with Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark, due on June 24. As will be the case with all pre-orders going live after May 20, Sony says, you'll be able to download the game's files a few days in advance of its release date (even from standby mode), after which it will become unlocked on your console.
pretty cool, able to play right at midnight on release
Old 06-19-2014, 12:42 AM   #2972
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

When No Mans Sky comes out I'm getting a ps4. Hope the Xbox 1 can gain some steam as a monopoly on that side of the market for Sony is bad for everyone
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:29 AM   #2973
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
When No Mans Sky comes out I'm getting a ps4. Hope the Xbox 1 can gain some steam as a monopoly on that side of the market for Sony is bad for everyone
Since when has PS4 had a monopoly over the XB1?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #2974
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Did I say it did? Yeesh
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:14 PM   #2975
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmmm, wonder how this will be once PS Now makes it out of Beta. Will have to see how they do pricing but probably not something I'd touch for shooters and fighting games. That and I'm still trying to keep to the physical side for the most part.

Though I'd imagine it will get better over time as well as connection speeds continue to improve.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:51 PM   #2976
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Still waiting on things like instant resume and DLNA.
Instant resume is pretty sweet. Tried it on Wolfenstein TNO and it was flawless, no loading time at all.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:14 AM   #2977
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt PS Now will ever work well enough for FPS games.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #2978
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

They've updated the game list and now they're testing pay models. You may have read elsewhere one the internet, but if you haven't, they're crazy. $3 for 4 hours on some games, and there's a cost for a 3 month rental (very cool), that's usually a couple dollars cheaper than buying the game outright (less cool). Perhaps this is just them swinging for the fences, but nobody is going to pay those prices. Playstation now is super cool, but I hope they realize that it's an inferior experience in some ways, so the cost should probably reflect that. I was very excited for Now, but some of these hiccups are concerning.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #2979
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't remember prices for Blockbuster rentals but if you were going to test various pricing models, the Beta (now) is the time to do it. Given what Sony has done with PS+, I'd imagine it'll end up being decent value down the line. Launch pricing though, who knows. But as with anything, the market will decide what work and what doesn't.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #2980
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

An interesting look back. Seems like Sony learned a bit from their arrogance and errors with that "third console" curse.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/0...-499-xbox-one/

I couldn't help asking how he felt when he first heard that the PlayStation 4 was going to launch $100 cheaper than its nearest competition.

"I'm not gonna lie. I remember exactly where I was," Rohde told Ars. "We were in press conference rehearsals last year. We had a feeling they were going to come in at $499, but we weren't sure. So yeah, we were dancing in the aisles and high-fiving. It was great. Anyone that came in on an interview, it didn't matter what the question was, I could always just answer it with $399. It was the answer to every question."

The process to get to that moment started way back in 2008, when Sony started work on the PS4 hardware design with a $399 price point firmly in its sights, Rohde said, echoing similar sentiments from Sony Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida. The focus on the lower price point was the result of hard-earned lessons from the previous hardware generation, he said.

We thought we could overcome Microsoft in the previous generation because the first Xbox didn't have that great market penetration, and PlayStation 2 was so dominant in that era. We wanted a machine in PlayStation 3 that was amazing, that could do everything, and completely misjudged how much the market could bear in terms of price point. Also, coming out a year late, it took us some catch up to get where we needed to be. But we're proud of where PS3 ended up and how it's still going strong today."

And now that Microsoft has ditched the forced pack-in of the Kinect to be more price competitive with the PS4? Rohde's reaction was more muted. "I think that, to be truthful, we always assumed that eventually they'd have to release a SKU without a camera," he said. "So we were waiting for it to a degree, and we were ready for it."