Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2023, 07:51 PM   #2961
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I’m putting my money where my mouth is so I’m buying an AMD GPU for Starfield. Any reason not to get the MSI 7900xtx? I’ve had issues with their motherboards but no experience with graphics cards.
I mean they're blocking DLSS for everybody apparently.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 08:19 PM   #2962
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I mean they're blocking DLSS for everybody apparently.
That's a bonus although I think it's a crappy move. I got Starfield free with the card so that's even better. $1400 for 4080ish performance and 50% more memory.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 12:57 AM   #2963
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
PC Master Race Couple
Darn tootin

Mine :
Z690 asus hero maximus board
13900ks
64gb corsair dominator platinum 5600
Saberant 2 tb m.2
3 noctua a25 for aio
Corsair hi150
2 200mm noctua front fans
1 140 rear noctua fan
Mi mpeg atx 3.0 gold 850 psu
4090 Asus tuf
Alianware aw3423dw
Second monitor: Sony a90k
Hers
Am4 dark hero board
2 tb Saberant m.2
5900x
Corsair 32gb vengeance rgb 3600
9 corsair mag lev fans
Corsair hi100
4070ti msi suprim
Rmx850 gold psu
Alienware 38 main 2 dell 1440p : ti fighter configuration

She might get another's upgrade to 4080 because I plan to water cool our rigs with the new 4000 series cards.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 08-04-2023 at 01:05 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2023, 10:49 PM   #2964
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked up a Samsung Odyssey Neo G8. The curve hit me as crazy, but within moments I was entranced. Very cinematic. Very cool.

Except hey, Samsung’s quality control is garbage and it’s got stuck pixels. I tried some of the soft/“colour flashing” to try and un-stick it…seems to have not worked. So now I ship it back for a refund…and ponder, do I try for another? Or pivot to the vastly superior quality control (but less exciting) LG monitor?
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 01:07 PM   #2965
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a bonus although I think it's a crappy move. I got Starfield free with the card so that's even better. $1400 for 4080ish performance and 50% more memory.
Yeah, I'm in the market for a new GPU as well and I just can't justify what NVIDIA is charging per GB of VRAM.

Last edited by rubecube; 08-09-2023 at 01:09 PM.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 07:37 AM   #2966
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing news that AMD is giving up on high end GPU's? Just can't compete?
Old 08-16-2023, 07:54 AM   #2967
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Seeing news that AMD is giving up on high end GPU's? Just can't compete?
Not entirely accurate. They apparently suspended work for the next gen RDNA4 due to complications in the chiplet/interconnect design that were overly ambitious/not as performant and to push work faster on the generation after RDNA5 that is supposed to be much more promising performance wise than the next gen. So potentially skip another generation. Which they already did with RDNA3.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/92825...ing/index.html

Also the market is moving away a bit from the super high end X090 type GPUs. They are getting way too expensive these days that prices drop pretty quick post launch.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 10:21 AM   #2968
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're only gaming at 1080 or 1440, and ray-tracing isn't a huge deal to you, an argument could be made that the Intel Arc is the best value GPU on the market right now. They've supposedly fixed their driver issues as well. $480 for 16GB of VRAM is pretty enticing.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 12:52 PM   #2969
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gross.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/esports/...nt-controversy

"I was told I was chunky, fat, ugly, stupid" - YouTuber Madison Suop opens up and reveals why she left Linus Media Group amid recent controversy

"I was asked to twerk for a co-worker at one point. I was told I was chunky, fat, ugly, stupid."

Old 08-16-2023, 01:35 PM   #2971
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The high school drama that occurs roughly once a year among the tech youtubers and the ensuing episodes of reality television are painfully cringeworthy.

None of what any of these people are doing matters.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 01:51 PM   #2972
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The sexual assault and gross employee treatment is pretty wild. But I guess his wife is head of HR?
Old 08-16-2023, 01:59 PM   #2973
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The high school drama that occurs roughly once a year among the tech youtubers and the ensuing episodes of reality television are painfully cringeworthy.

None of what any of these people are doing matters.
Casually dismissing (alleged) workplace sexual harassment as "high school drama" is certainly a take.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 02:30 PM   #2974
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

His wife is also their accountant and owns the majority of the shares in the holding company, AFAIK. It's a problem a lot of private companies / family owned companies face - they outgrow any reasonable narrow management structure but the owners who built the company from the ground up want to expand while maintaining control over everything. It never helps that those owners tend to be self-certain egomaniacs who can't let go of perceived grievances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Casually dismissing (alleged) workplace sexual harassment as "high school drama" is certainly a take.
I don't know what to make of the Madison stuff, I'm not even talking about that. Just the GN/Jayztwocents/LTT/HWUnboxed stuff. HWUnboxed tends to do a decent job of avoiding getting wrapped up in this ####, but GN seems to never miss an opportunity and Linus can't resist making it worse.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 02:40 PM   #2975
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know what to make of the Madison stuff, I'm not even talking about that. Just the GN/Jayztwocents/LTT/HWUnboxed stuff. HWUnboxed tends to do a decent job of avoiding getting wrapped up in this ####, but GN seems to never miss an opportunity and Linus can't resist making it worse.
I don't know about how GN conducts "targets of opportunity", but they seem hard working and thorough as hell. Their video pointing out the obvious errors, the problem rushing and attitudes are pretty gross when Linus is claiming to make reviews and getting so much wrong.

Nevermind using a prototype from a new start up, not using it for it's intended purpose, ####ting all over it, refusing to correct their bad take, doubling down on the bad take claiming it would cost a few hundred dollars more to have to test it properly, holding on to the one of a kind prototype instead of returning it, falsely claiming that it was being sent back, then ####ING SELLING IT to somebody, not being able to figure out who they sold it to, having to offer compensation for the #### show and then lying about the timeline of events in an apology that was pay walled behind their own video service . . . is something.

Christ, I don't think I've ever written a run on sentence that long lol! :P

Last edited by chemgear; 08-16-2023 at 02:53 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2023, 03:03 PM   #2976
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got my new build up and running:

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
64GB DDR Memory
Asus ROG Strix 4090
Asus ROG Strix X670E-F
Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVME
Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME
1000W Power Supply
6x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM (chromax.Black)
Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black

All housed by the Fractal Design North (Black/Walnut/Gold) case.

Pushing this all out onto the 240hz 45" LG OLED (3440x1440) with an 800R Curve. I was worried about the perceived low PPI given the the overall size - but those concerns absolutely vanished when under practical use.

I'm floored by the gaming experience. Absolute treat. (thanks to all who bought the random stuff I've sold over the last few weeks on here - made this all hurt the wallet significantly less).

This was the inspiration for the build - but I opted to go with a blacked out build, rather than a white (and air cooling rather than liquid):

Last edited by ComixZone; 08-16-2023 at 03:06 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2023, 04:02 PM   #2977
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
His wife is also their accountant and owns the majority of the shares in the holding company, AFAIK. It's a problem a lot of private companies / family owned companies face - they outgrow any reasonable narrow management structure but the owners who built the company from the ground up want to expand while maintaining control over everything. It never helps that those owners tend to be self-certain egomaniacs who can't let go of perceived grievances.

They also shamelessly plugged their merch store and monetized their super sarcastic "apology" video. Linus has fallen pretty far from when he was somewhat respectable and can't help coming off like an arrogant unapologetic doof these days. Admit there was wrong doing, try and make things right instead of acting like the victim and it would have blown over.
Old 08-16-2023, 04:08 PM   #2978
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
then ####ING SELLING IT to somebody
In Linus's words, "we didn't sell it, we auctioned it."

I stopped watching LTT for factual content a while ago, and just enjoy the more entertaining videos. They obviously grew too big too fast, and quality control has suffered.

They should have brought on a new CEO much sooner. That's who should have written the response, not Linus. He's way too defensive when GN showed them to be obviously in the wrong.

HR also needs a big overhaul. Madison seems a little flakey to me but I can believe a lot of what she says happened. There aren't many women in their company and I wonder if the others have similar stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
They also shamelessly plugged their merch store and monetized their super sarcastic "apology" video.
I haven't watched it yet but that's really ####ty, especially since Steve make a point of mentioning that he wasn't monetizing his video.

Edit: There's a mention in the comments that the video is now demonetized.

Last edited by DownInFlames; 08-16-2023 at 04:18 PM.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 04:10 PM   #2979
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice sex joke at the company harassment meeting that was called after forcing out the sexually assaulted employee. Yikes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTi...ons_departure/

EDIT: Looks like they are also deleting comments on the apology video about the sexually assaulted employee.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTi...utube_apology/

Last edited by chemgear; 08-16-2023 at 04:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2023, 04:29 PM   #2980
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In Linus's words, "we didn't sell it, we auctioned
I haven't watched it yet but that's really ####ty, especially since Steve make a point of mentioning that he wasn't monetizing his video.

Edit: There's a mention in the comments that the video is now demonetized.
That's what happened with the original auction problem. They got called out on it then tried to gaslight everyone into saying "yea, we already did the right thing". They only demonetized after getting criticized for doing it.

Last edited by FlameOn; 08-16-2023 at 09:39 PM.