Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #2901
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Jurassic Park's first dinosaur is gonna be a bird?
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #2902
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Nasa and Stephen Hawking are working on a nano-starship that can travel 1/5th the speed of light

Researchers have to figure out how to protect the craft from cosmic radiation

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...-a7467732.html
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #2903
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Jurassic Park's first dinosaur is gonna be a bird?
All birds, are dinosaurs...so Yes
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #2904
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
All birds, are dinosaurs...so Yes
They're uh...they're flocking this way
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kavvy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2016, 01:49 PM   #2905
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/news/140...e-cosmic-void/

Quote:
One of the most extraordinary conceptual spacecraft detailed in the report also would exit the solar system, but only just. And its focus, literally, would be on alien worlds.

This conceptual spacecraft would be parked in near interstellar space to use our sun as a gigantic lens, allowing zoomed-in close-ups of planets orbiting other stars. A space telescope would be lofted to a position far beyond Pluto, some 550 times the distance from Earth to the sun, or farther. It would take advantage of an effect described by Einstein: the power of gravity to bend light rays.

The stream of light from a distant star and its planet would be bent around the edges of the sun, like water flowing around a rock, meeting on the other side at a focal point—where it would be greatly magnified. The telescope would be placed in just the right position to capture these images.

The images would be smeared into a ring around the sun, called an Einstein ring, and the technical challenges would be immense: the distortions would have to be corrected and the fragmentary images reassembled. But if successful, the lens could be powerful enough to reveal surface features of an exoplanet—a planet around another star.

Last edited by troutman; 12-21-2016 at 01:54 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2016, 08:29 PM   #2906
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:07 AM   #2907
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

SpaceX did their first launch since the explosion last year. Seems to be going well, the cool thing this time is the camera on the stage 1 didn't cut out on the way down like it had on previous landing attempts, so got a complete video all the way to a successful landing.

Pretty cool. Iridium probably breathing a sigh of relief too, 10 of their satellites made it to space.

EDIT: Video, you can go back to the landing starting at about T+6:30
Old 01-22-2017, 06:02 PM   #2908
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What would it be like to actually land on Pluto? This movie was made from more than 100 images taken by NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft over six weeks of approach and close flyby in the summer of 2015. The video offers a trip down onto the surface of Pluto -- starting with a distant view of Pluto and its largest moon, Charon -- and leading up to an eventual ride in for a "landing" on the shoreline of Pluto's informally named Sputnik Planitia.
To create a movie that makes viewers feel as if they’re diving into Pluto, mission scientists had to interpolate some of the panchromatic (black and white) frames based on what they know Pluto looks like to make it as smooth and seamless as possible. Low-resolution color from the Ralph color camera aboard New Horizons was then draped over the frames to give the best available, actual color simulation of what it would look like to descend from high altitude to Pluto’s surface.
After a 9.5-year voyage covering more than three billion miles, New Horizons flew through the Pluto system on July 14, 2015, coming within 7,800 miles (12,500 kilometers) of Pluto. Carrying powerful telescopic cameras that could spot features smaller than a football field, New Horizons sent back hundreds of images of Pluto and its moons that show how dynamic and fascinating their surfaces are. Credits: NASA/JHUAPL/SwRI
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #2909
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

What it would take to reach the stars

A wild plan is taking shape to visit the nearest planet outside our Solar System. Here’s how we could get to Proxima b.

http://www.nature.com/news/what-it-w...-stars-1.21402

The idea of reaching Proxima b is not just science fiction. In fact, a few months before the discovery of the exoplanet, a group of business leaders and scientists took the first steps towards visiting the Alpha Centauri star system, thought to be home to Proxima. They announced Breakthrough Starshot, an effort backed by US$100 million from Russian investor Yuri Milner to vastly accelerate research and development of a space probe that could make the trip. When Proxima b was found (G. Anglada-Escudé et al. Nature 536, 437–440; 2016), the project gained an even more tantalizing target.

Getting there won’t be easy. Despite Proxima b’s name, it is still nearly 2,000 times farther from Earth than any human-made object has ever travelled. To reach it within a scientist’s working lifetime, a probe would have to reach around one-fifth the speed of light and navigate a treacherous path through unseen debris in our own Solar System and interstellar space. Then it would need to collect useful data during a 60,000-kilometre-per-second fly-by of the Proxima system, and beam the information back across the 4 light years to Earth. It all amounts to a monstrous engineering challenge, but project researchers say it is possible and are now moving towards that goal.

The Starshot team plans to use conventional rockets to send its probes into orbit. Then a 100-gigawatt laser array on Earth would fire continuously at the sail for several minutes, long enough to accelerate it to 60,000 kilometres per second.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2017, 01:59 PM   #2910
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love anything space news. It really is the cutting edge of technology and space exploration really should be more funded and focused on on an international level. In a way, it's our ultimate destiny to do so, so it's not a question of if, but when. Hopefully we see some amazing space exploration breakthroughs in our lifetime.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #2911
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

To me the Space Shuttle was one of the biggest killing factors in terms of the exploration of space. We went from explorers to exploiters and didn't continue to develop manned craft that would push us deeper into our solar system.

At some point we decided that it was good enough to have an international space station and probes, and safer, while we should have been pushing to explore the rest of our solar system in person.

To me we should have been walking on Mars 10 years ago.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #2912
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I can see it now. The Centaurians see hundreds of these things heading towards them at high speed and assume they are under attack. They being slightly more advanced than us launch a counter attack.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #2913
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I love anything space news. It really is the cutting edge of technology and space exploration really should be more funded and focused on on an international level. In a way, it's our ultimate destiny to do so, so it's not a question of if, but when. Hopefully we see some amazing space exploration breakthroughs in our lifetime.
The ability to visit neighboring stars, planets and systems will fundamentally change the human race. Politics, Religion, economy, industry, spirituality . . . everything will change.

Well, at least those who want it to. There will always be those who will be fixated on minuscule, obsolete problems who's god is better and how much land a person deserves. Here's hoping most humans become visionaries.

Last edited by Ozy_Flame; 02-01-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2017, 04:44 PM   #2914
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
The ability to visit neighboring stars, planets and systems will fundamentally change the human race. Politics, Religion, economy, industry, spirituality . . . everything will change.

Well, at least those who want it to. There will always be those who will be fixated on minuscule, obsolete problems who's god is better and how much land a person deserves. Here's hoping most humans become visionaries.
Can we build a wall between earth and mars?

When earth sends it's people, it's not sending it's best and brightest.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:51 PM   #2915
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Why couldn't we build a colony on Mars and make it this centuries Australia, a penal colony and permanent home for Donald Trump?

Old 02-02-2017, 12:17 AM   #2916
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
What it would take to reach the stars

A wild plan is taking shape to visit the nearest planet outside our Solar System. Here’s how we could get to Proxima b.

http://www.nature.com/news/what-it-w...-stars-1.21402

The idea of reaching Proxima b is not just science fiction. In fact, a few months before the discovery of the exoplanet, a group of business leaders and scientists took the first steps towards visiting the Alpha Centauri star system, thought to be home to Proxima. They announced Breakthrough Starshot, an effort backed by US$100 million from Russian investor Yuri Milner to vastly accelerate research and development of a space probe that could make the trip. When Proxima b was found (G. Anglada-Escudé et al. Nature 536, 437–440; 2016), the project gained an even more tantalizing target.

Getting there won’t be easy. Despite Proxima b’s name, it is still nearly 2,000 times farther from Earth than any human-made object has ever travelled. To reach it within a scientist’s working lifetime, a probe would have to reach around one-fifth the speed of light and navigate a treacherous path through unseen debris in our own Solar System and interstellar space. Then it would need to collect useful data during a 60,000-kilometre-per-second fly-by of the Proxima system, and beam the information back across the 4 light years to Earth. It all amounts to a monstrous engineering challenge, but project researchers say it is possible and are now moving towards that goal.

The Starshot team plans to use conventional rockets to send its probes into orbit. Then a 100-gigawatt laser array on Earth would fire continuously at the sail for several minutes, long enough to accelerate it to 60,000 kilometres per second.

I literally said F***ing Cool out loud. I would get info back in my lifetime. Amazing... I could see pictures of a planet from another planetary system.

I only hope that technology continues on its exponential pace and the remainder of my life is filled with extra-solar discoveries.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2017, 09:16 AM   #2917
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I literally said F***ing Cool out loud. I would get info back in my lifetime. Amazing... I could see pictures of a planet from another planetary system.

I only hope that technology continues on its exponential pace and the remainder of my life is filled with extra-solar discoveries.
The solar gravity lens in post #2905 might be our most practical way to view extra-solar planets in the near future.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:34 AM   #2918
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sooo Question.

they want this thing to fly through the Oort cloud, which IIRC is the birthplace of comets a huge intergalactic ice field.

So we're going to try to navigate a unguided sailing ship through this field of randomly movie ice bits that are influenced by the Suns gravity. And then we're going to try to shoot a laser through it to send back data.

I'm not a smart man, but this seems to be almost an impossible theory.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:38 AM   #2919
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
The biggest risk at this stage is serious damage from collisions with dust specks, hydrogen atoms and other particles in the interstellar medium. Added danger comes in the form of cosmic rays — atomic nuclei that zip through space at close to the speed of light and could degrade crucial electronics. No one knows exactly how many particles fill interstellar space, or how big they are, but Starshot plans to protect its craft from potential collisions by covering the leading edge with at least a millimetre-thick coating of a material such as beryllium copper.

Even if it doesn’t destroy the craft, a strike could send the probe hurtling off-course. The probe will therefore need its own navigation and steering systems, powered by a lightweight generator that uses a radioactive isotope such as plutonium-238 — essentially a nuclear battery. These systems will need to include rudimentary artificial intelligence that monitors the position of stars and adjusts course by firing photon thrusters.
I think the plan is to launch a fleet of probes, maybe 100, in case some don't make it.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:39 AM   #2920
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Oort cloud is incredibly diffuse. The chance of hitting something is going to be very small.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:

Tags
biology , chemistry , physics , research , science