Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2024, 02:21 PM   #2861
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
I think people who think the Leafs are dealing from a position of weakness on this one are delusional.

Look what both Tkachuk and Eichel (with a broken neck) went for. Leafs will get a number of valuable pieces.
RFA and long term contract signed. He goes for the typical UFA package or swapped in a hockey trade
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 02:24 PM   #2862
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Yes, go find comparable trades for a UFA. Marner definitely won't get the 6th overall either even he is willing to sign an extension. He can probably be flipped for a top pair dman on an expiring deal or maybe a guy like Doughty if he would waive. Andersson has two years at a great cap hit. Marner's cap hit is prohibitive.

Marner is worth more than Stone but how much more than Brannstrom (recent 15th overall), Lindberg, and a 2nd. That was with an extension as well.
Is he? I'd say they rank about even. Marner has 97 points but Stone was over PPG AND a terrific defensive player.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 02:31 PM   #2863
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
RFA and long term contract signed. He goes for the typical UFA package or swapped in a hockey trade
What about Tkachuk?

Effectively, he was in the same situation as Marner is. One year to UFA.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 02:34 PM   #2864
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Is he? I'd say they rank about even. Marner has 97 points but Stone was over PPG AND a terrific defensive player.
Marner is closer to Panarin than he is Stone.

Plus, Marner, you know, plays.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 02:41 PM   #2865
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think people who think the Leafs are dealing from a position of weakness on this one are delusional.

Look what both Tkachuk and Eichel (with a broken neck) went for. Leafs will get a number of valuable pieces.
If he doesn't waive or sign a long term deal, Toronto will have to walk him to UFA or give in to his demands.

Marner has all the power, Toronto has none.

If Marner's goal is to stay in Toronto and sign a very expensive deal, he can simply refuse to waive. Then Toronto has 2 unappealing choices. UFA or give in to Marner's contract demands.

Tkachuk and Eichel wanted out, Marner does not.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 02:42 PM   #2866
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Saw a while back (season end presser maybe) Conroy talking about potentially trading picks for 23 and under players. He specifically mentions Montreal doing this (Newhook and Dach).

Rumor has it Minnesota is taking calls on Rossi. Seems like exactly the type of situation Conroy is looking for.

Personally, I wouldn’t do it. I would hoard picks and just take my swings at the draft but I think Conroy would be all over this.

I do think Rossi has a ton of potential though. Like I said wouldn’t be my strategy but I don’t hate the player at all.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 02:45 PM   #2867
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What about Tkachuk?

If the Leafs want to take on older but good players that are also UFAs then sure, I’d put that under hockey trade. I also think Tkachuk was more valuable due to his age and the Flames were the only team able to do an 8 year contract that summer.
If he goes for futures it will be the typical UFA return.
Old 05-09-2024, 02:51 PM   #2868
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What about Tkachuk?

Tkachuk was 24 and was (and is) a better player than 27 year old Mitch Marner is.

Tkachuk was signed for years 25-32, Marner will be signed for years 28-35.

All of these reasons point to Tkachuk being worth substantially more than Mitch Marner.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 02:53 PM   #2869
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Tkachuk was 24 and was (and is) a better player than 27 year old Mitch Marner is.

All of these reasons point to Tkachuk being worth substantially more than Mitch Marner.
Yeah, fans will be pretty disappointed if they think Marner can return the 6th overall. My guess is he goes for an older top 4 dman and defensive middle six guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 02:53 PM   #2870
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

Panarin was traded with Motte and a 6th for Brandon Saad, Anton Forsberg and a 5th. If that is the package you are talking about or something close to it I would agree that is a reasonable proximation of Marner’s value.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 02:56 PM   #2871
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Stone brings that winning edge. When teams talk about playoff intangibles, they are talking about players like Mark Stone. Not only does he not give up, but he's 6'3'' and 210+ pounds. Going into the playoffs I take Stone over Marner.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 03:09 PM   #2872
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What about Tkachuk?

He wanted out badly, Marner wants to stay badly.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 03:23 PM   #2873
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post

Tit-for-tat.

Tkachuk, in the words of Brian Burke, is an awful skater. Will his effectiveness carry into his late 20, let alone his 30’s? He plays a more physically engaging style of play is that going to errors what little ‘skill’ he has at skating? Are we certain 30 year old Tkachuk is the better player? I wouldn’t make that bet with confidence.

Every player has his warts and teams needs fluctuate as does the market. These questions along the lines of ‘show me a trade where player C was traded for Y’ don’t really make a lot of sense. Trades are far too nuanced.

Bottom line, Marner is likely the only 90-100 point player that seems to be on the market. He’ll have significant value.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:25 PM   #2874
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

The year of the trade how many games did Stone play? 77. The next year he missed 4 games. Year after that, none.

I'd take prime Stone over prime Panarin.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 03:29 PM   #2875
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Tit-for-tat.

Tkachuk, in the words of Brian Burke, is an awful skater. Will his effectiveness carry into his late 20, let alone his 30’s? He plays a more physically engaging style of play is that going to errors what little ‘skill’ he has at skating? Are we certain 30 year old Tkachuk is the better player? I wouldn’t make that bet with confidence.

Every player has his warts and teams needs fluctuate as does the market. These questions along the lines of ‘show me a trade where player C was traded for Y’ don’t really make a lot of sense. Trades are far too nuanced.

Bottom line, Marner is likely the only 90-100 point player that seems to be on the market. He’ll have significant value.
Keith Tkachuk remained an effective player past 30, but no the same superstar he was when he was young.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 03:31 PM   #2876
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
He wanted out badly, Marner wants to stay badly.
He does?

Someone posted earlier today that Marner’s hired security. Frankly asking a player two days after their season comes to and end if they want to stay doesn’t mean much. We don’t have to look too far back to find clips of Gaudreau saying he wanted to stay in Calgary as well.

What if the Leafs say ‘we’d like to move you’? If one party, in any relationship, says ‘I’d like to move on/a divorce’, I’d bet 98% of them end up there.

Again, Marner saying he wants to stay ‘badly’ (which I don’t recall him actually saying) doesn’t mean much.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:32 PM   #2877
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Keith Tkachuk remained an effective player past 30, but no the same superstar he was when he was young.
It’s a different game today than it was 20-30 years ago.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:53 PM   #2878
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He does?

Someone posted earlier today that Marner’s hired security. Frankly asking a player two days after their season comes to and end if they want to stay doesn’t mean much. We don’t have to look too far back to find clips of Gaudreau saying he wanted to stay in Calgary as well.

What if the Leafs say ‘we’d like to move you’? If one party, in any relationship, says ‘I’d like to move on/a divorce’, I’d bet 98% of them end up there.

Again, Marner saying he wants to stay ‘badly’ (which I don’t recall him actually saying) doesn’t mean much.
If you google "Does Marner want to stay in Toronto", you'll find many recent articles that quotes him.

And the best way to do that is not not approve a trade. Does Tree let him walk for nothing? THose might be his choices.

Now you are correct that could change. Or not. Calgary was not home to Johnny, big difference. Marner has spent his entire life in Toronto and the surrounding area.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:56 PM   #2879
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I’d love to find a hockey player who explicitly says he doesn’t want to be somewhere lol. Let’s not kid ourselves regarding players and public comments, they’re meaningless boiler plate cliche filled white noise.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 04:25 PM   #2880
traptor
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Saw a while back (season end presser maybe) Conroy talking about potentially trading picks for 23 and under players. He specifically mentions Montreal doing this (Newhook and Dach).

Rumor has it Minnesota is taking calls on Rossi. Seems like exactly the type of situation Conroy is looking for.

Personally, I wouldn’t do it. I would hoard picks and just take my swings at the draft but I think Conroy would be all over this.

I do think Rossi has a ton of potential though. Like I said wouldn’t be my strategy but I don’t hate the player at all.
Not sure why the wold would do that but let's say they are.

Using Dach as an example it cost habs 13th oa + 3rd.

So Rossi would cost us 9th oa.

Would it be worth it?
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good