Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 09:40 AM   #2841
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworkhard View Post
Will be interesting to see how this affects the race.
I don't think it will.

The CPC's will call it 100% sunshine and lolipops, the NDP will call it 100% darkness and mold, The LPC will probably hedge and broadly declare support for trade but promise a citizen consultative process and free vote prior to ratification.

I'm surprised at how low the liquid milk market access is. Dairy farmers must have the best lobbiest in Canada.

Last edited by Parallex; 10-05-2015 at 10:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #2842
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

As far as I can see, the TPP is primarily about containment of Chinese economic influence in pacific trade and in solidifying some relationships around American soft power in the region. Canada is going along for the ride as a little guy so as to keep close with historical allies and not to be left out.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Old 10-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #2843
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

It'll be interesting to see how the TPP pans out over the next week. To be honest, I don't think it'll have much effect on the Conservatives or the Liberals, as it's a pretty wonky issue and if the Dairy Farmers already think it's a good thing then I think both of these parties will maintain their voter base because of it.

That being said, the TPP is the big Hail Mary for the NDP, where they need people to turn on it in the same way that people turned on C-51. I just don't think there is enough it to make it bad enough for people to shift back to the NDP and I don't think there is enough time (with pretty much one week left in the election) for people to punish the Liberals to support it. With the NDP banking everything on being against it I think they've officially killed their chances of a recovery.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #2844
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Conservatives voters seem to have the same comedic sensibilities as the elderly ex-coworker you have on Facebook but keep forgetting to unfollow.
And the Liberal / NDP voters are the annoying girl from high school who posts pictures of her gluten free food and has done her own "research" on vaccines.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
Old 10-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #2845
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
And the Liberal / NDP voters are the annoying girl from high school who posts pictures of her gluten free food and has done her own "research" on vaccines.
There's only one party that routinely ignores science, and it isn't the Libs or NDP
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 11:04 AM   #2846
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sure they'd love to use Canadian research if Harper didn't squash science and data into oblivion in this country.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #2847
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
There's only one party that routinely ignores science, and it isn't the Libs or NDP

Most acquaintances I've met that don't believe in vaccination lean left.

By some of the logic displayed in the thread, that is likely enough evidence to paint an entire electorate base.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
Old 10-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #2848
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Like this guy?

Old 10-05-2015, 11:29 AM   #2849
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unfortunately I've never met Donald Trump.

The toupee that controls him is a blast at parties though.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #2850
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Most people I know who oppose vaccinations have religious objections or are watching Jenny McCarthy. I have no idea how you know everyone against vaccinations leans left. Do you ask them their political stance after they tell you?
Old 10-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #2851
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Unfortunately I've never met Donald Trump.

The toupee that controls him is a blast at parties though.
Here's the thing, I've actually researched the anti-vaccine crowd for school projects, papers, etc., and there really isn't a discernible political leaning associated with them. On the right, you have people who object to them for religious reasons, because they fear the government, or think they cause autism. On the left, you have people who object to them because vaccines "aren't natural," or because they fear "Big Pharma," or because they think vaccines cause autism.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #2852
Dogbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.t.ner View Post
It'll be interesting to see how the TPP pans out over the next week. To be honest, I don't think it'll have much effect on the Conservatives or the Liberals, as it's a pretty wonky issue and if the Dairy Farmers already think it's a good thing then I think both of these parties will maintain their voter base because of it.

That being said, the TPP is the big Hail Mary for the NDP, where they need people to turn on it in the same way that people turned on C-51. I just don't think there is enough it to make it bad enough for people to shift back to the NDP and I don't think there is enough time (with pretty much one week left in the election) for people to punish the Liberals to support it. With the NDP banking everything on being against it I think they've officially killed their chances of a recovery.
Depends on the positioning. If the NDP focuses on something like this, paints it as Step 1 of the privatization of our health care system, and forces the campaign to focus on it above all else, that could freak out a lot of people - especially seniors.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:58 AM   #2853
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Relax guys everything is under control.

The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 11:59 AM   #2854
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

All I know is, regardless of who wins the election, my FB is going to be ridiculous for probably at least a month after it. If it wasn't for the photos and events, I think I'd just delete it.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:04 PM   #2855
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Depends on the positioning. If the NDP focuses on something like this, paints it as Step 1 of the privatization of our health care system, and forces the campaign to focus on it above all else, that could freak out a lot of people - especially seniors.
I sure hope they don't drop exclusivity length on biologics. 8 years probably isn't enough. These are the designer drugs that target horrible disease and give people actual dignity and quality of life... or life itself. Dropping the patent length of these would be disastrous to innovation and research.
This is a price we should be willing to pay in health care, imo.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:15 PM   #2856
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I sure hope they don't drop exclusivity length on biologics. 8 years probably isn't enough. These are the designer drugs that target horrible disease and give people actual dignity and quality of life... or life itself. Dropping the patent length of these would be disastrous to innovation and research.
This is a price we should be willing to pay in health care, imo.
Yeah, as someone who takes these drugs, that's a scary proposition.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 12:17 PM   #2857
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

No kidding. One of my close friends was diagnosed with a particularly crippling form of arthritis at a young age that would have, in short order, irreparably crippled her spinal cord. Biologics saved her life.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 12:21 PM   #2858
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
No kidding. One of my close friends was diagnosed with a particularly crippling form of arthritis at a young age that would have, in short order, irreparably crippled her spinal cord. Biologics saved her life.
Yeah, I was looking at having to live with a colostomy bag at age 25 if I didn't have access to them. Also extremely lucky to have the health care system we do, because those drugs are about $5000-$10,000 per treatment, which for me is every 8 weeks.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:26 PM   #2859
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, as someone who takes these drugs, that's a scary proposition.
Anyone who is/knows someone who life has been transformed by these kind of drugs knows that it borders on the miraculous. I don't think it's fear mongering to be concerned about innovation and research taking a big hit, at least potentially, if the patent laws on these change significantly.
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 12:39 PM   #2860
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm actually more in favour of free tuition, but this might seem like a fair compromise to some people. Either way, it's at least marginally better than the current system.

http://ipolitics.ca/2015/10/05/trude...ive-questions/

Quote:
Trudeau said the Conservatives have not done enough to help students and that, as it stands now, students and young people are unfairly saddled with exorbitant student debts.

The platform included plans to provide “direct support” to low and middle-income students to help them attend university and college through an increase in the maximum Canada Student Grant and changes to the way students pay back their loans.

“We’ll also make our student loan system more flexible,” he said, noting graduates with student loans will not have to make repayments until they are earning at least $25,000 per year. “We can’t be dragging young people down.”
Closed Thread