Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 12:37 PM   #2841
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
I don't even understand what Tkachuk did exactly? What action took place on his part during that game that requires him having to answer to Kassian?

Draisaitl slew-foots Tkachuk.
Backlund hit McDavid, Connor was triggered so he pulls Backlund down to the ice, Tkachuk comes in and barely even touches McDavid.
Kassian then goes into primate mode and tries to initiate a fight with an unwilling Tkachuk and throws a bunch of punches.

Tkachuk gets slew-footed and then attacked by a neanderthal yet still is somehow the one who needs to answer the bell for his "actions", just crazy stuff coming from Edmonton.
This is exactly what it is for me. I'm not going to fully put my Flames goggles on and say I don't understand it at all. Tkachuk was in full pest mode (as he should be with McD) the other night. He was aggravating him, annoying him, trying to get him off his game.

Because of this, I also have no problem with the Oilers wanting to do something about that. Kassian can try and engage him and see what happens, but also has to accept the risk of the penalties he took should Tkachuk doesn't engage back (as he shouldn't with Kassian). But I have no issue with the Oilers trying to use some muscle to deter Matt's behavior.

However, where it all falls apart is the "Tkachuk HAS to answer the bell argument from the Edmonton media and fans". Answer the bell for what? He didn't do anything that requires him to answer the bell, even by the old school code. There was no hit, cheap shot on McD that could have left him injured. This is the big difference between this, and the last time Tkachuk riled the hockey world up like this with his annoyance of Doughty. In that incident, there was an elbow to the head that IMO required him to answer for. Which he did.

On Saturday, there was nothing that dictates even by the oldest most outdated of hockey codes that the Flames leading point player at the time should be forced to answer to one of the last goons employed in the game. Tkachuk vs. McDavid is the two teams best players, of even size, going head to head. I'd say it's more on McDavid right now to have to step up and deal with Tkachuk than the other way around.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #2842
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
This is not a political site....

You must be new here.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 11-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #2843
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
I don't even understand what Tkachuk did exactly? What action took place on his part during that game that requires him having to answer to Kassian?

Draisaitl slew-foots Tkachuk.
Backlund hit McDavid, Connor was triggered so he pulls Backlund down to the ice, Tkachuk comes in and barely even touches McDavid.
Kassian then goes into primate mode and tries to initiate a fight with an unwilling Tkachuk and throws a bunch of punches.

Tkachuk gets slew-footed and then attacked by a neanderthal yet still is somehow the one who needs to answer the bell for his "actions", just crazy stuff coming from Edmonton.
Apparently he swung his stick at McD's head while McD and Backlund were in the middle of a scrum (news to Backlund I'm sure).
My favourite post I read was - if MT was an Oiler, they wouldn't put up with his antics and he'd have to change the way he plays.
I've never read another teams PGT and it was entertaining as well as very similar to ours after a loss.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:46 PM   #2844
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

No pink slips handed out yet? Gretzky hasn't decided if he's ready to get back behind the bench? Or maybe Messier? Would anything be more Oilers if they brought in Gretzky and head coach and Messier some special adviser to the HC?
Old 11-19-2018, 12:46 PM   #2845
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
Last night on CHED they were rationalizing McDavid's embellishment penalty.

I forget if it was Rob Brown or Reid Wilkins who said:

"McDavid and Crosby are the two strongest players on their feet in the NHL" or some other garbage like that.

That is absurd, they play completely different games.

They said the refs know this so, it's why when McDavid goes down easy they have to call it, because they know he's so strong.

Uhmm... ok.. whatever.

McDavid is a great player, but his strength is not being strong on his feet or his edges. Crosby moves and digs in his edges like no other. He grinds in the corner and makes plays if need be. McDavid has elite hockey sense, but no ability to grind with a low centre of gravity and use his body strength to fend off and utilize defenders in the corners or on the wall to make plays.

What I find the most absurd about the notion is that they are mutually exclusive. McDavid's strength is speed both forward and lateral to deceive defenders put them on their heels because he could go any direction at any time and make a play... or burn them.

His speed is literally dependent on touching and digging as little ice as possible to reduce friction on his glide and maximize push optimally. It's counter-intuitive to being strong on your skates. That's why he went into the corner and busted his collarbone.

Additionally, strength on your skates requires a body type like Crosby with lower body muscle mass not a slight build like McDavid. It's simple physics.
They also forget that Crosby had his share of dives early into his career.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #2846
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Edmonton fans were justifying it as a Connor protest against the NHL for not calling enough penalties for perceived infractions against him.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 11-19-2018, 12:51 PM   #2847
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
No pink slips handed out yet? Gretzky hasn't decided if he's ready to get back behind the bench? Or maybe Messier? Would anything be more Oilers if they brought in Gretzky and head coach and Messier some special adviser to the HC?
They have a perfectly good coach in Gulutzan waiting to take over the head coaching reigns.

The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #2848
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWcrowfoot View Post
Since December 23rd of 2017 Milan Lucic has two goals in 66 games. Knew it was bad, but not that bad.
I know they all count, but since December 23rd of 2017 Milan Lucic has only scored one goal in a NHL rink (his goal this year was in Europe).
Old 11-19-2018, 01:04 PM   #2849
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember when I hated the Canucks more than the Oilers. I thought it would always be that way.

What a young fool I was.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #2850
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I remember when I hated the Canucks more than the Oilers. I thought it would always be that way.

What a young fool I was.
Lol, cycles, there are always cycles. And in fairness, it's probably been well over a decade that's been the case for us Flames fans, and if it was for a miracle lottery win............again and the drafting of McD, it probably would have been fair for you to not see how the Oilers could have ever pulled themselves off the shelf again.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #2851
Knut

Exp:

Currently there is not really anyone unlikable on the Canucks (except maybe Gudbrandson). It is all cyclical though and soon we will hate the Canucks again.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #2852
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yea Oilers fans were embarrassing wanting injuries. They were posting Gaudreaus boarding play and people were hoping he would get injured. Imo this is all because of their echo chamber media that their fans are like this. When u have their media talking trash like that than ofc the fans will.
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesforcup For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #2853
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I know they all count, but since December 23rd of 2017 Milan Lucic has only scored one goal in a NHL rink (his goal this year was in Europe).
Taking advantage of the big ice with all his speed.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #2854
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
Yea Oilers fans were embarrassing wanting injuries. They were posting Gaudreaus boarding play and people were hoping he would get injured. Imo this is all because of their echo chamber media that their fans are like this. When u have their media talking trash like that than ofc the fans will.
They get their marching orders from the minister of propaganda Bob Stauffer
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 01:32 PM   #2855
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Deadmonton reporter that chided Peters. Was it staufer? And is he really a full on Oiler employee but with press credentials? Like George Johnston or what Ryan Leslie used to be?
Old 11-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #2856
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speculating which media member was or wasn't involved probably isn't a fruitful exercise.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman

Last edited by Freeway; 11-19-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:56 PM   #2857
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pretty easy to guess who it was
Old 11-19-2018, 02:07 PM   #2858
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
This is exactly what it is for me. I'm not going to fully put my Flames goggles on and say I don't understand it at all. Tkachuk was in full pest mode (as he should be with McD) the other night. He was aggravating him, annoying him, trying to get him off his game.

Because of this, I also have no problem with the Oilers wanting to do something about that. Kassian can try and engage him and see what happens, but also has to accept the risk of the penalties he took should Tkachuk doesn't engage back (as he shouldn't with Kassian). But I have no issue with the Oilers trying to use some muscle to deter Matt's behavior.

However, where it all falls apart is the "Tkachuk HAS to answer the bell argument from the Edmonton media and fans". Answer the bell for what? He didn't do anything that requires him to answer the bell, even by the old school code. There was no hit, cheap shot on McD that could have left him injured. This is the big difference between this, and the last time Tkachuk riled the hockey world up like this with his annoyance of Doughty. In that incident, there was an elbow to the head that IMO required him to answer for. Which he did.

On Saturday, there was nothing that dictates even by the oldest most outdated of hockey codes that the Flames leading point player at the time should be forced to answer to one of the last goons employed in the game. Tkachuk vs. McDavid is the two teams best players, of even size, going head to head. I'd say it's more on McDavid right now to have to step up and deal with Tkachuk than the other way around.
And all this in a game where Backlund is grabbed by the neck, Tkachuk is slew footed and Gaudreau is run into the boards head first.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #2859
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The guys on the Fan this morning suggested that Darryl Sutter would be a good fit to take over from McLellan should he get canned. Honestly, as good a coach as Sutter is, that roster is a complete dumpster fire outside of McDavid, and I don't think even Darryl could get them turned around.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:28 PM   #2860
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
The guys on the Fan this morning suggested that Darryl Sutter would be a good fit to take over from McLellan should he get canned. Honestly, as good a coach as Sutter is, that roster is a complete dumpster fire outside of McDavid, and I don't think even Darryl could get them turned around.
I think he would, but I don't think the current roster would be a playoff team. Not even Darryl Sutter can save this team.
Nobody can.
Closed Thread