Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 11:32 AM   #2841
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've seen a few articles about Montreal struggling to re-sign Gallagher to an extension. Perhaps he could be had via trade in some kind of package? Right shot, RW that plays with an edge (even if he's small)
Old 10-14-2020, 11:38 AM   #2842
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Well, he did play for Vancouver....
When I moved to BC, my friends asked if I would switch to being a Canucks fan. I don't think Treliving's UFA signings were what they meant..
Old 10-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #2843
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
It's another offseason, where the flames exited the playoffs with decent goaltending, and a mediocre (then better this past year) defensive performance in the first round elimination.

The BIGGEST question media and fans were left asking again, are monahan and gaudreau good enough to be the primary offensive drivers of 5on 5 offence during the tight checking part of the hockey calendar?

I think most have already come to their own conclusion that the answer is No. The next question is can this team still win by simply trying to improve the d/goaltending and a less drastic change up front (ie. Bringing in a new top6 rw). It sure feels like that's where this offseason is headed.

To me, that's basically arriving at the tough conclusion that this core is what it is, let's try to just make the playoffs again for another year or 2 before trying to rebuild the core.

As a fan, I'm not thrilled with this approach. We're the new Minnesota wild...
I guess my only thing is to avoid filling in the blanks when we don't have all the information.

Friedman and others had the Flames listening when it came to Gaudreau. He didn't pull the trigger, but I wouldn't assume that his vision was to leave the forwards alone simply because he hasn't changed them (yet).

If the market was weak for Gaudreau and/or Monahan than you can't move them at a discount just to say you changed the forward core.

Talbot did the job admirably, but he's not a guy that can come up with an answer to good shooters in the modern NHL. He will play fine behind a great system and only give up the tough ones, but that kind of goaltending just doesn't win in the playoffs.

I had hopes on Rittich, but back to back seasons where he isn't getting it done past Christmas was and is a concern.

If the change from Brodie to Tanev is tight the Flames are definitely better today than they were. If Markstrom is the goaltender we saw in Vancouver the last two years, they're likely significantly better.

I still hold concerns around the top line when the chips are down, but it wouldn't be the first time that an assumption/pattern gets broken if they figured it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #2844
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post
Fair enough, but Monahan enjoying the fruits of Gaudreau isn't such a slouch either. I was just saying Cozens, a coveted first line prospect who is ready to play third line minutes this year, is definitely not the difference. I'm not sure what would be.
Unprotected first. Let them roll the dice on their team.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:18 PM   #2845
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post
Fair enough, but Monahan enjoying the fruits of Gaudreau isn't such a slouch either. I was just saying Cozens, a coveted first line prospect who is ready to play third line minutes this year, is definitely not the difference. I'm not sure what would be.
I agree that is a fair statement but then the negotiations end if I am the Flames. Perhaps the Flames add a prospect or send a draft pick to even it out but I need Cozens coming back if Monahan is going to Buffalo.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #2846
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Where does this idea that Kylington can't handle anything but sheltered minutes come from? He got stronger as his rookie year went on, and he spent the entire season ignoring offense (his calling card) in favour of taking serious strides on the defensive side of the game.

We can't have Valimaki anointed as the second coming before he starts his rookie season and write off Kylington, when he has already worked through a lot the first year growing pains. Moving Kylington to his natural side and pairing with Giordano seems like a recipe for long term success.
I'd never write off a young player, but Kylington really hasn't improved that much.

He's at the bottom of the pile in most metrics for the Flames defense group for the last two years despite being at the top of the pile when it comes to offensive zone starts.

Last year he had only 93 minutes of ice time against elite competition, trailing the big five AND Michael Stone.

I like the player, and his skill set and I hope he figures it out. But he's been rough in his own zone for the most part.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 12:25 PM   #2847
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

With Friedman confirming the Flames were also heavily in on Josh Anderson, another right shot top 6 F, Reinhart makes a lot of sense if there's a trade to be had.

If the Flames aren't afraid to go with Domingue, I could see Mangiapane and Rittich both packaged together. Mangiapane's holdout probably a bit of a red flag for Treliving and likely gets pushed out of the top 6 by Dube longterm.

Whereas with Lindholm and Reinhart ahead of Dube, it allows Bennett and Dube to form a solid 3rd line.

I could see Rittich's stretches of dominance and all-star appearance as tempting for another team. Lots of potential there obviously.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #2848
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't help but think Anderson is Treliving's Richards.

Thank god we lost out on him.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-14-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:29 PM   #2849
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
With Friedman confirming the Flames were also heavily in on Josh Anderson, another right shot top 6 F, Reinhart makes a lot of sense if there's a trade to be had.

If the Flames aren't afraid to go with Domingue, I could see Mangiapane and Rittich both packaged together. Mangiapane's holdout probably a bit of a red flag for Treliving and likely gets pushed out of the top 6 by Dube longterm.

Whereas with Lindholm and Reinhart ahead of Dube, it allows Bennett and Dube to form a solid 3rd line.

I could see Rittich's stretches of dominance and all-star appearance as tempting for another team. Lots of potential there obviously.
I doubt Buffalo is entirely comfortable with either Ullmark or Hutton and Rittich would give them a 1a 1b situation (I'm sure they'd prefer it was with Ullmark so they'd have to do something about Hutton - he's a pretty easy buyout or they can bury him and save about $1M).
Old 10-14-2020, 12:33 PM   #2850
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

1) Going with Domingue as our backup is guaranteed to cost us a lot of points in the standings. He ranks in the bottom 3 of 72 goalies who've played 1500+ minutes the last 3 seasons in the most important categories (SV%, GSAA/60 and HDSV%).

2) There's very little convincing me that Reinhart is an upgrade on Mangiapane, let alone a significant upgrade. Mangiapane had much better individual rates on offense last season and much better impacts across the board than Reinhart despite Reinhart playing 90% of his time with Eichel
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 12:36 PM   #2851
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
1) Going with Domingue as our backup is guaranteed to cost us a lot of points in the standings. He ranks in the bottom 3 of 72 goalies who've played 1500+ minutes the last 3 seasons in the most important categories (SV%, GSAA/60 and HDSV%).

2) There's very little convincing me that Reinhart is an upgrade on Mangiapane, let alone a significant upgrade. Mangiapane had much better individual rates on offense last season and much better impacts across the board than Reinhart despite Reinhart playing 90% of his time with Eichel
I'd imagine Mangiapane didn't face the best defensive forwards and defencemen like Reinhart did, though. And while he didn't play with an Eichel, Mangiapane played with the top point producer on the Flames last year.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:39 PM   #2852
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post

Absolutely agree.
Yeast mode goes no where.
Ya very one complains and whines about drafting and developing and you have a drafted and developed top six from the lower rounds and everyone wants to trade him
And not only do we want to trade him but we usually want to trade him for older more expensive options and who have poorer numbers but are just waiting to break out on a new team. This isn’t just a cp complaint I see it in HF constantly and it drives me crazy.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:41 PM   #2853
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'd imagine Mangiapane didn't face the best defensive forwards and defencemen like Reinhart did, though.
Yeah he did... he played on the Backlund line.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #2854
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Yeah he did... he played on the Backlund line.
You are saying the opposition usually put their shutdown men against the Backlund line and not Monahan and Gaudreau?
Old 10-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #2855
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depending on cost Gallagher still makes a ton of sense to me.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #2856
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thing for me is, if the Flames can keep Johnny and Monny whilst adding a Reinhart level RHS to the fold, I dont see why they wouldn't use Mangiapane as trade bait.

I fully understand the advan ed stats community around here absolutely LOVE and adore Mangiapane, but let's be clear here, yall want to pay him big time bucks for something that has not occurred yet comparatively to a Sam Reinhart. And something I think the Flames like, but don't necessarily believe can be beneficial long term.

What we all know:
The Flames have insane LHS winger depth.
The Flames are actively seeking top six RHS forward depth.
Do the math.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:43 PM   #2857
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Somewhat surprising but Eichel had the primary assist on only 2 of Reinhart's 22 goals last season. Only 6 secondary assists on his goals too.

I would have thought Eichel would be in on the vast majority of his goals.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 12:44 PM   #2858
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
Absolutely agree.
Yeast mode goes no where.
Ya very one complains and whines about drafting and developing and you have a drafted and developed top six from the lower rounds and everyone wants to trade him
And not only do we want to trade him but we usually want to trade him for older more expensive options and who have poorer numbers but are just waiting to break out on a new team. This isn’t just a cp complaint I see it in HF constantly and it drives me crazy.
In this case, however, we are talking about a player about half a year older with much better offensive numbers. And one who is a natural RW who can also play C.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:44 PM   #2859
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yea Mangiapane for Reinhart makes a ton of sense honestly.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:45 PM   #2860
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You are saying the opposition usually put their shutdown men against the Backlund line and not Monahan and Gaudreau?
Oop, my bad. Misread your post.

Yes, you're right, although the Backlund line faces top-line competition (if not shutdown guys).

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread