Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2020, 10:52 AM   #2821
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
There are people who liked Aquaman?
You wouldn't know it from here, but it actually got solid reviews and grossed over 1 billion dollars.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:58 AM   #2822
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
You wouldn't know it from here, but it actually got solid reviews and grossed over 1 billion dollars.
Yes...but why?

I dont pay much attention to 'professional reviews' anymore since I know a lot of them are bought, and I've made my position on box-office earnings very clear.

Just because a movie makes a lot of money doesnt make it good.

Anyways, people like what they like. Thats fine.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:17 AM   #2823
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yes...but why?

I dont pay much attention to 'professional reviews' anymore since I know a lot of them are bought, and I've made my position on box-office earnings very clear.

Just because a movie makes a lot of money doesnt make it good.

Anyways, people like what they like. Thats fine.
The audience scores were better than the professional reviews.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #2824
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I really disliked the Aquaman movie. I actually liked some of the Wonder Woman movie and I'm interested in seeing the new one.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:30 AM   #2825
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I really disliked the Aquaman movie. I actually liked some of the Wonder Woman movie and I'm interested in seeing the new one.
My own opinion is that Aquaman was terrible to the point of almost unwatchable. I certainly never watched it a second time because that movie was an insanely long chore.

That being said, Wonder Woman is arguably the best DCEU movie that they have and it was....tolerable. There were some good moments but it really wasnt anything special, its just the best they've managed to do.

WW84 seems interesting, but I worry that its a little bit of a Captain Marvel ripoff where they set it back in time and bury us in nostalgia like when she lands in the Blockbuster, etc.

The advantage that WW84 has....oddly enough, is that there is a lot of freedom to move around. When Captain Marvel came out it was right in the midst of Marvel's Big Finale and all the pieces had to line up with that framework, WW84 doesnt really have those restrictions other than that you know Wonder Woman is going to win and everything is going to be fine.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-16-2020, 12:31 PM   #2826
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as they don't go full Marvel, and make Wonder Woman (Captain Marvel) ten times stronger than Superman (Thor). That was potentially the worst part of Endgame, as it really lowered the stakes.
Old 12-25-2020, 09:54 PM   #2827
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Wonder Woman 1984 is the worst DCU movie. It might be the worst superhero movie I've seen in the last 10 years.

Worse than Aquaman. Worse than Justice League.

I've seen Wolverine: Origins and Green Lantern more than once and I can honestly say I wouldn't watch WW84 again.

There is so much wrong with it that anything redeemable about it is forgettable. The villain and villain's motivation is so convoluted and terrible. He's infinitely worse than Ares and Ares was the worst part of a generally solid first WW movie. The final "battle" is so bad it makes me mad. Chris Pine's involvement in the movie was unnecessary other than pointing out that things have changed since Word War I and 1984.

The first 10 minutes in the present (1984) feels like a Shazam comedy action scene instead of a badass Wonder Woman one. Then there's no action for the next hour.

Kristen Wiig wasn't terrible but Michelle Pfeiffer played the same character in 1992 and did a better job.

Maybe my hopes were too high for this movie. I didn't hate the part at the beginning with young Diana. That's about it.

Now I'm really worried about Jenkin's Star Wars movie.

Last edited by KTrain; 12-25-2020 at 09:59 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2020, 10:24 PM   #2828
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The reviews have been all over the map on this one, some people love it, some people hate it. The only thing that I see agreed on is that its about 30 minutes to long and the last half hour of the movie seems to lose its way.

Maybe this is the old guy in me talking, but I'm not sure I want to spend 30 bucks on it. I'll play the wait and see game.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 10:29 PM   #2829
I am Beast
Farm Team Player

Exp:

WW84 was brutal, the whole time I kept thinking its WW vs a Birthday Cake
I am Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I am Beast For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2020, 11:51 PM   #2830
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

WW84 is on a site that rhymes with stiffy....
Old 12-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #2831
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Worse than Aquaman?? Lets not say things we cant take back...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2020, 12:35 PM   #2832
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1342652194500341760

I read that yesterday it went from a +80 rating to about 70. So there's a lot of sober second looks that aren't positive on it.

I'm probably going to wait now until it comes out free on a streaming service.

Old 12-26-2020, 01:03 PM   #2833
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gal Gadot doesnt deserve this.

Get out while you can Gal! Ben Affleck bailed on the DCEU and he was drunk through the whole thing! Get out!!

You're a young actress! There will be more opportunities! And never agree to be in a film with Kristen Wiig or a character that has two first names!!

Old 12-26-2020, 01:09 PM   #2834
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Wonder Woman 1984 is the worst DCU movie. It might be the worst superhero movie I've seen in the last 10 years.

Worse than Aquaman. Worse than Justice League.

I've seen Wolverine: Origins and Green Lantern more than once and I can honestly say I wouldn't watch WW84 again.

There is so much wrong with it that anything redeemable about it is forgettable. The villain and villain's motivation is so convoluted and terrible. He's infinitely worse than Ares and Ares was the worst part of a generally solid first WW movie. The final "battle" is so bad it makes me mad. Chris Pine's involvement in the movie was unnecessary other than pointing out that things have changed since Word War I and 1984.

The first 10 minutes in the present (1984) feels like a Shazam comedy action scene instead of a badass Wonder Woman one. Then there's no action for the next hour.

Kristen Wiig wasn't terrible but Michelle Pfeiffer played the same character in 1992 and did a better job.

Maybe my hopes were too high for this movie. I didn't hate the part at the beginning with young Diana. That's about it.

Now I'm really worried about Jenkin's Star Wars movie.
I'm going to thank you for this, honest review. Too many people have been unwilling to be honest about the WW movies, so I respect you for doing so.

"Worse than Green Lantern." - KTrain

Strong move.....strong move.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2020, 01:11 PM   #2835
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm watching WW today so I can't speak to the quality of the movie, but I realized my tastes don't align with RT. Movies I love like Watchman, V for Vendetta , Aquaman (yes I love it) and Joker all have average scores on RT and have worse RT scores than Superman Returns, a film I don't enjoy as much as the others.
Nadal Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 01:15 PM   #2836
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I'm watching WW today so I can't speak to the quality of the movie, but I realized my tastes don't align with RT. Movies I love like Watchman, V for Vendetta , Aquaman (yes I love it) and Joker all have average scores on RT and have worse RT scores than Superman Returns, a film I don't enjoy as much as the others.
I for one am looking forward to this entirely impartial review.

People have different tastes, I can understand that. I liked V for Vendetta and Watchmen but Aquaman is being shown to torture political dissidents in North Korea.

Old 12-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #2837
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was really bad, really long and really bad

Ktrain hit so many of the issues, its shot like a cheesy 80s film, and then the action stops

Chris Pine is by far the best part of the movie, but that's all chris pine, not on storyline, if they wanted to bring him back, have him become green lantern and have gotten the ring right before he died in the first one

The actual action is really bad, like in terms of how they show WWs powers, I know marvel has has more practice at this, but the way they show Diana's powers and abilities is like original x men level

If patty Jenkins doesnt have a hell of a pitch for her star wars movies, she might get the Weiss and Benioff treatment

Also makes me very worried about all the warners/hbo movies next year, I read one article that there were rumors part of the reason they were throwing everything online was because they knew they had a really weak slate
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2020, 03:57 PM   #2838
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched WW84 last night. We have HBO so didn't cost us anything, which is good because it was an absolute dud. This is coming from someone who liked WW. Not just in a "it was good for a DC movie" kind of way. I thought it was an excellent movie and one of my favorites of the genre.

But this one sure seemed to be a weak effort, although no fault of the actors. I thought Gadot, Pine, Wiig and Pascal were all very good. But the problems are immense:

Spoiler!

WB had to know they weren't sitting on a winner here. Hard for me to believe that was the script they greenlit for this. It's like it was the only idea they had to get Chris Pine back in the movie which is a shame because the WW character sure deserved much more.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2020, 07:55 PM   #2839
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Ratings keep sliding on Rotten Tomatoes, down to about a 64%. I would expect after a strong opening Christmas day on the in home ordering that the numbers are going to plummet due both to a lot of bad reviews, and the $30.00 price tag.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:45 PM   #2840
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It's the best done really dumb movie I've ever seen lol.

Out of all the WW lore out there this is the best story they can do? That's the dumbest villain idea I've ever seen.

Or did they have to include Chris Pine by contract or something and then had to design the plot around him coming back somehow?

The writing was terrible, the action terrible. The best part of the movie was the bit with young Diana at the beginning and that was even dumb because the kid was too young.

I'd say it's the same level as Aquaman for me.

EDIT: I saw a video where they think she was going for Superman I style of movie, I guess I could see that if that was the goal, but not a very good goal IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post: