Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2024, 05:49 PM   #2821
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Although I wholeheartedly disagree with these people, I do think it's important to try and get an understanding of where they are coming from.

D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 05:56 PM   #2822
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
So, these people are just going to camp out along the road all summer?
I'm hoping the incoming snow storm buries them so deep they don't thaw out until June...2025.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:06 PM   #2823
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A good snow storm to cull the highway herd
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:47 AM   #2824
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
Paging the outraged people over a mentally ill person last week causing inconvenience. What say we now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Are you joking around? I've hated these morons for years. I started this fricken thread ffs.
Was thinking about this the other day. Are some people okay with individuals blocking infrastructure and inconveniencing thousands of people so long as we are sympathetic to their reasons?

Maybe you guys should be as patient with the people impeding traffic flow on the TransCanada as you were with the guy closing multiple bridges into downtown?

Or...maybe you should re-evaluate how tolerant you were of a guy shutting off access to the core at the cost of 10s of thousands of man hours and at least 10s of thousands of dollars of taxpayer money to manage the situation.

For me, I'll stay consistent. They should have grabbed that guy off the bridge within an hour. Throw up a net or something and peg him with a beanbag gun if he wouldn't come down. With these protesters, arrest them under the 'no blocking infrastructure act' or whatever tf that new law is.

We cannot accept that people are shutting down our infrastructure when they have a grievance.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 10:18 AM   #2825
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Was thinking about this the other day. Are some people okay with individuals blocking infrastructure and inconveniencing thousands of people so long as we are sympathetic to their reasons?

Maybe you guys should be as patient with the people impeding traffic flow on the TransCanada as you were with the guy closing multiple bridges into downtown?

Or...maybe you should re-evaluate how tolerant you were of a guy shutting off access to the core at the cost of 10s of thousands of man hours and at least 10s of thousands of dollars of taxpayer money to manage the situation.

For me, I'll stay consistent. They should have grabbed that guy off the bridge within an hour. Throw up a net or something and peg him with a beanbag gun if he wouldn't come down. With these protesters, arrest them under the 'no blocking infrastructure act' or whatever tf that new law is.

We cannot accept that people are shutting down our infrastructure when they have a grievance.
One of the major differences I see between protestors on the Left and protestors on the Right is the understanding of this concept.

Take the logging protests in BC, people chaining themselves to trees. These people understand they are undertaking civil disobedience and may be punished. How often has Greta been arrested? How often has Suzuki. When Extinction Rebellion blocks a bridge, they know that they will be forced off or end up going to jail, and they do it anyways because they feel their cause is worth the cost. They accept this will happen.

These convoy protests are full of people who think they should be allowed to get away with it. They think their cause is so just that is should be beyond any consequences for their actions. They whine and complain about getting arrested instead of understanding that this is the risk they take when they do these things.

Of course that is a generalization and there are people on both sides that think opposite of this. There are convoy members who understand they should be arrested and there are climate activists who think they should be beyond reproach.

I have no problem with people engaging in non-violent civil disobedience to protest. But they need to understand that you will be arrested, you will face consequences, and the police need to make sure both groups are treated the same when they do these things.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 10:50 AM   #2826
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Snowflakes for the snowflakes! hope they lose some digits!
Old 04-04-2024, 12:44 PM   #2827
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
One of the major differences I see between protestors on the Left and protestors on the Right is the understanding of this concept.

Take the logging protests in BC, people chaining themselves to trees. These people understand they are undertaking civil disobedience and may be punished. How often has Greta been arrested? How often has Suzuki. When Extinction Rebellion blocks a bridge, they know that they will be forced off or end up going to jail, and they do it anyways because they feel their cause is worth the cost. They accept this will happen.

These convoy protests are full of people who think they should be allowed to get away with it. They think their cause is so just that is should be beyond any consequences for their actions. They whine and complain about getting arrested instead of understanding that this is the risk they take when they do these things.

Of course that is a generalization and there are people on both sides that think opposite of this. There are convoy members who understand they should be arrested and there are climate activists who think they should be beyond reproach.

I have no problem with people engaging in non-violent civil disobedience to protest. But they need to understand that you will be arrested, you will face consequences, and the police need to make sure both groups are treated the same when they do these things.
Thanks, I agree completely. Looks like the police moved these protesters off the highway within a day and have set up a "wall" of cops and vehicles between the protesters and the highway. I think that's a good way to handle them.

I also agree infrastructure disruptors with other motivations/backgrounds should be treated the same and stopped from blocking infrastructure, too.

I agree normally the right-wing protesters are given a pass (cops shaking hands with the Coutts terrorists, permitting the Ottawa terrorists to occupy that city, etc.), but in this case we saw a switcharoo. These right-wing protesters have been blocked from disrupting the highway (or so I hear...will see for myself Friday and Saturday when I'm out that way), but our downtown friend was given all the leeway and time he wanted.

I do think these right-wing people are suffering from mental issues. They are ignorant, low-IQ, uneducated and duped-by-misinformation deviants who elevate/amplify their interests and concerns - wrong as they may be - above the rights of the rest of us to use communal infrastructure. This other fellow also suffered from a similar inability to operate rationally, but holy cow did people have more patience and tolerance for his antics versus these people.

Like you said, though, we need to treat all citizens the same and let it be known protests and grievance broadcasts cannot involve disrupting infrastructure.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2024, 12:51 PM   #2828
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

A long, hard cold spell can kill off pine beetles. And deter stupid convoy idiots, too.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 02:20 PM   #2829
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hadn't followed "bridge guy" very closely, other than hearing that he was having some sort of protest. I actually assumed that he was a rogue, lone convoy type trying something new.

Learning that he was an environmentalist, my opinion hasn't changed. Pluck him off of there as quickly and safely as possible, and let him deal with the consequences. Point made, now move on.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 02:26 PM   #2830
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I hadn't followed "bridge guy" very closely, other than hearing that he was having some sort of protest. I actually assumed that he was a rogue, lone convoy type trying something new.

Learning that he was an environmentalist, my opinion hasn't changed. Pluck him off of there as quickly and safely as possible, and let him deal with the consequences. Point made, now move on.
Wasn't bridge guy upset because he believed cops raped his wife and tried to kill him? Nothing to do with a convoy or environment. Unless I missed that part of it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...emains_closed/
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2024, 02:34 PM   #2831
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Wasn't bridge guy upset because he believed cops raped his wife and tried to kill him? Nothing to do with a convoy or environment. Unless I missed that part of it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...emains_closed/
I am clearly confused and may have incorrectly assumed a link between bridge guy in Sliver's post and the Extinction Rebellion movement. Thanks for the link - seems that you are right and it was neither a convoy type or an environmentalist.

I'll have another coffee.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 11:02 AM   #2832
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

i get the right to protest bit in our society, but also beyond annoyed by these selfish AF peeps and the resultant required resources to police this nonsensical protest...the amount of police services required is not without cost, financially and socially, taking it away from where it might be better utilized...
Old 04-05-2024, 01:36 PM   #2833
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I do think these right-wing people are suffering from mental issues. They are ignorant, low-IQ, uneducated and duped-by-misinformation deviants who elevate/amplify their interests and concerns - wrong as they may be - above the rights of the rest of us to use communal infrastructure. This other fellow also suffered from a similar inability to operate rationally, but holy cow did people have more patience and tolerance for his antics versus these people.
I Struggle a lot with this, many of the smartest and most educated people I know are fully bought into these stupid ideas. I think what it comes to is peoples openness to unfamiliar information, which can change a lot over time and change based on priors.

For many of these people, they are just worrying about change or something new they don't have a full grasp of. For others they feel that change is OK but is happening faster than they can keep up with.

These aren't the thoughtful responses of people who are bad at thinking, these are the emotional responses of people who don't happen to be thinking deeply about the correct ideas.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 01:51 PM   #2834
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think at the end of the day most of us can agree that we'd prefer these grievances be aired in a diplomatic and respectful way that doesn't come at the expense of other fellow canadians who are dealing with those very same changes and are taxed all the same.

If you want to take it to the "system", then take it through the system's channels and raise your protest game beyond signs, disruption and expletives, and into the political system. You know, in the way our constitution intended. If you're for the "old ways" you'll honor the old ways that were agreed upon by all at that time, which is not being self-destructive savages disrupting your own contry's infrastructure and economy to rant and make a scene.

It's not hard to see why there's so little empathy for it. There's absolutely nothing constructive or productive about these protests. It's people getting together and complaining, at the expense of key resources/institutions.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 04-05-2024 at 01:53 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 03:25 PM   #2835
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
i get the right to protest bit in our society, but also beyond annoyed by these selfish AF peeps and the resultant required resources to police this nonsensical protest...the amount of police services required is not without cost, financially and socially, taking it away from where it might be better utilized...
Which brings up an entirely different issue.

While in Principle I agree, and I dont think its debatable that theres a cost. Lets not forget that Ottawa Police not only aided and abetted in the Convoy nonsense but even actively participated.

They are far from 'without fault.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 03:32 PM   #2836
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Which brings up an entirely different issue.

While in Principle I agree, and I dont think its debatable that theres a cost.

The cost to CPS for 2023 was around 22 million...

Quote:
The Calgary Police Service spent nearly double its overtime and call-out budget in 2023, according to an internal email sent to senior leadership. The email, sent in mid-January, shows the service budgeted $11.4 million in 2023 for extra-hours pay but ended up spending $22.1 million.
Of that total, $15.5 was spent on call-outs and $5.55 was spent on overtime.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...uble-1.7109144
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:34 PM   #2837
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What's a call out? Just a dispatched call?
Old 04-05-2024, 11:04 PM   #2838
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2 View Post
What's a call out? Just a dispatched call?

Quote:
Call-outs involve bringing in an officer to cover a shift to support minimum staffing levels or other policing needs.

I imagine in the case of the article, it'd be all the extra cops who are at the protest so that the cops who are actually scheduled to be on-duty at that time can deal with all the normal calls.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2024, 02:17 PM   #2839
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hearing the protesters were taking their stupid convoy north on the QE2 today and into Edmonton. This won’t make people support their cause.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 02:21 PM   #2840
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Hearing the protesters were taking their stupid convoy north on the QE2 today and into Edmonton. This won’t make people support their cause.
I dont know. If they do to Edmonton what they did to Ottawa...I'd kind of be okay with that.

But they really should have done it in February if they wanted to demonstrate their conviction to 'The Cause.'

Wait....whats 'The Cause' again? The first time it was US border restrictions or something? Is it still that?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote