Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2024, 08:38 PM   #2821
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I the only one who has no idea why there seem to be so many hurt feelings here? Maybe I missed something, but the level of 'snark' that tipped this off seemed awfully mild to me
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2024, 09:11 PM   #2822
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Haha, I’m not a moderator and please do.

*shrug*

Believe me, at this point I'd love to never interact with you again.

Quote:
Or just plain delete your account.
Likewise? You'd be doing the greater CP community a solid.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2024, 09:27 PM   #2823
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know. CPs better without condescending pricks. And that ain’t Slava.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2024, 09:47 PM   #2824
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this all because someone took an illustration as the literal rezoning plan?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 10:40 PM   #2825
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Is this all because someone took an illustration as the literal rezoning plan?
It's because one poster's certainty is truly awe-inspiring; if only accuracy had a similar effect on them. Their perceived omniscience is merely a facade veiling a vast chasm of ignorance and their cognitive self-assurance appears to be inversely proportional to their actual comprehension.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2024, 11:33 PM   #2826
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I like CP because the same people who are like “don’t be mean to be, abrasive words are NOT OK” will also turn around and blame immigrants and poor(er) people for ruining their neighbourhoods.

Like, don’t call someone who is being stupid, “stupid,” but if you want to hate immigrants… that’s cool.
No one is blaming immigrants. You shouldn't blame them; they are just seeking a better life for themselves and their families. The blame rests with the Federal Government who are bringing too many immigrants in at time for
their own selfish reasons, and in so doing are handing out our money to our elected officials to fix the problem they created.

I know it's a poor analogy but your reasoning somehow reminds me of the movie, "The Jerk" where a gunman is shooting at Steve Martin and hitting all these oil cans, and Martin says, "This man hates cans".
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:15 AM   #2827
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
No one is blaming immigrants. You shouldn't blame them; they are just seeking a better life for themselves and their families. The blame rests with the Federal Government who are bringing too many immigrants in at time for
their own selfish reasons,
and in so doing are handing out our money to our elected officials to fix the problem they created.

I know it's a poor analogy but your reasoning somehow reminds me of the movie, "The Jerk" where a gunman is shooting at Steve Martin and hitting all these oil cans, and Martin says, "This man hates cans".
What are those?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 08:52 AM   #2828
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
their own selfish reasons, and in so doing are handing out our money to our elected officials to fix the problem they created.

Can you explain how immigrants and middle class people negatively impact your neighbourhood, then?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:04 AM   #2829
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What are those?
Two reasons:

1. The more immigrants, the more votes, the more votes, the more power. Immigrants tend to vote for the party that allows them to come to Canada.

2. One of the main reasons the Liberals won the last election was because of the "wealth effect". The demand by immigrants helps to keep house prices rising, which makes homeowners feeling like they are getting ahead.

However, we all know how this is playing out, as the micro and macroeconomics changes,

just my usual biased thinking
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:14 AM   #2830
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Two reasons:

1. The more immigrants, the more votes, the more votes, the more power. Immigrants tend to vote for the party that allows them to come to Canada.

2. One of the main reasons the Liberals won the last election was because of the "wealth effect". The demand by immigrants helps to keep house prices rising, which makes homeowners feeling like they are getting ahead.

However, we all know how this is playing out, as the micro and macroeconomics changes,

just my usual biased thinking

1. Do you have any facts for that claim?

Quote:
New Canadians could once be counted on to vote Liberal, ever since Pierre Trudeau opened the door to more immigration in the 1970s, but that unwavering endorsement became less pronounced over the past decade.

Griffith says recent polling data suggests some ethnic communities still lean toward certain parties. Sikh-Canadians, for example, have a "general tendency" to vote Liberal and NDP, while Conservatives enjoy more support among Chinese-Canadians.

But, Griffith cautions, "We should never make the assumption that all members of the community are identical and behave the same way, whether it be in the polling booth or in other aspects."
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/checkup/can...arty-1.4976273

2. Uhm, that's a narrative alright...facts?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 09:16 AM   #2831
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Do people think immigrants arrive in Canada on day 1 and then go straight to the polls and vote on day 2?
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:19 AM   #2832
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
1. Do you have any facts for that claim?

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/checkup/can...arty-1.4976273

2. Uhm, that's a narrative alright...facts?
Careful Fuzz, you're quoting the LUBERAL CBC!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:24 AM   #2833
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
Careful Fuzz, you're quoting the LUBERAL CBC!
All the sources from other outlets were opinion pieces about how immigrants buy Trudeau gift boxes when they arrive.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:40 AM   #2834
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Will be interesting to see if flamesfever will present other evidence to support the view that new immigrants reliably vote Liberal.

Either he presents the support or he forgets about this discussion. Then 4ish months down the line, he'll repeat saying that immigrants vote Liberal. Then at that time, Fuzz must show infinite patience and copy paste his response from today.

Eta: flamesfever admits his biased thinking. Will be change these opinions. Who knows?

Eta2: the second thing that flamesfever brought up is interesting. The 'wealth effect', if beneficial to Canadians, will not stop when PP comes into power. IMO he'll keep immigration numbers high. Either that or expect the PPC to come into power to significantly curtail immigration.

Last edited by Izzle; 03-18-2024 at 09:45 AM.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:46 AM   #2835
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ll late to this but go back and look at the giant map posted a page or so back. I live in the middle of that part of Shaganappi to the right of Westbrook. The edges of “my area” are all zoned for 6 stories. A concern we had was 6 stories seemed really high, and I joked about living in the middle of the castle walls, but so far in practice the new builds along 12th Avenue haven’t been that tall. I’m guessing the economics of 6 stories right there isn’t viable. We all NIMBY’d pretty hard maybe 10 years ago when these guys wanted to combine their houses and build a condo. That was before the plan that Muta worked on was in place. We all fought against it because there was no plan and no guardrails in place and we didn’t want precident set. That property is not build, under the guidelines, and seems ok.

There is a new build going in basically across the street. It was a SFH on a corner lot that for many years had renters in it. It was knocked down and is in the process of being replaced with four attached row houses for lack of a better term. They basically turned a bungalow into a big two story building. It remains to be seen, but I don’t see how this will detract from my home value. My hope is it brings in four new home owners who will care about things vs renters who don’t.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:14 AM   #2836
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, OK, I see. Elon Musk explains it at about 23 minutes. I'm sure it applies in Canada, too.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:32 AM   #2837
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
There is a new build going in basically across the street. It was a SFH on a corner lot that for many years had renters in it. It was knocked down and is in the process of being replaced with four attached row houses for lack of a better term. They basically turned a bungalow into a big two story building. It remains to be seen, but I don’t see how this will detract from my home value. My hope is it brings in four new home owners who will care about things vs renters who don’t.
This is exactly what will happen with respect to changing the minimum zoning to R-CG. For the most part rowhouse developments are limited to corner lots because the minimum unit width facing a street on a given parcel is 4.2 metres. On a 50-feet-wide lot that means a max of three units (50' = ~15 m), whereas if you build on a corner lot the length allows you to build four or five units. Combined with the other contextual rules in the Land Use Bylaw, a mid-block 50'Wx100'+L lot typically can't accommodate a contextual rowhouse building anyway and the effective maximum size of development, even with the R-CG zoning, is just a side-by-side semi-detached duplex. (EDIT: N.B. the max size of a semi-detached building in this case would be the same as the max size of new single detached house anyway.)

Last edited by timun; 03-18-2024 at 10:43 AM.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 10:35 AM   #2838
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I’ll late to this but go back and look at the giant map posted a page or so back. I live in the middle of that part of Shaganappi to the right of Westbrook. The edges of “my area” are all zoned for 6 stories. A concern we had was 6 stories seemed really high, and I joked about living in the middle of the castle walls, but so far in practice the new builds along 12th Avenue haven’t been that tall. I’m guessing the economics of 6 stories right there isn’t viable. We all NIMBY’d pretty hard maybe 10 years ago when these guys wanted to combine their houses and build a condo. That was before the plan that Muta worked on was in place. We all fought against it because there was no plan and no guardrails in place and we didn’t want precident set. That property is not build, under the guidelines, and seems ok.

My buddy just sold his place along with two neighbors on 31st. He made a pretty nice premium being able to do that.
fotze2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 10:37 AM   #2839
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most infills I see in old neighborhoods are monstrous three story tall skinny mansions.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 11:08 AM   #2840
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:

Exactly. Nothing scary about RC-G row houses. They essentially have the same footprint from a street-view as any other house. The only major difference is that they have more doors.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote