Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #2801
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Decent article from Eric. I fear the next, that brings him back to the mean.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:04 AM   #2802
Fire in the disco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
He did use the term "infuriated broadcaster". Guessing one of their radio guys.

Edit: for the Edmo dolt, Calgary guy wouldn't be Francis, as he wrote the piece.
Francis just said on the fan that it was him
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire in the disco For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 10:04 AM   #2803
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
It's one thing for a fan to say something stupid, but seeing articles like this is just another frustrating example as to why Canadian teams will always be at a disadvantage. People take this stuff too seriously.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #2804
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Just remember, he isnt a Journalist or Media, hes an 'Edmonton Oilers Employee.'
I wonder if the league will care?
Old 11-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #2805
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
The Flames should remove all media privileges from this reporter. Embarrassing.
Is emulating the behavior of Donald Trump a wise thing to do in your opinion? I'd be instantly pissed off if that happened over a relatively small voicing of his displeasure after an emotional game. It's gonna happen. Let it slide.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #2806
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jonathan Willis is the lone voice of reason in Edmonton...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1064566435190468616
Old 11-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #2807
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
He did use the term "infuriated broadcaster". Guessing one of their radio guys.

Edit: for the Edmo dolt, Calgary guy wouldn't be Francis, as he wrote the piece.
Its Edmonton homer media, it could be a long list of suspects. Never have I seen a more cheerleader media.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #2808
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Is emulating the behavior of Donald Trump a wise thing to do in your opinion? I'd be instantly pissed off if that happened over a relatively small voicing of his displeasure after an emotional game. It's gonna happen. Let it slide.
How about we don't bring politics into this thread when the situation isn't even comparable?

This is an actual situation where an Oilers employee had an embarrassing emotional outburst during a Flames press conference followed by other comments calling for that players head. Why does this person deserve access to these players now?

Stop fishing for thanks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #2809
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
AC with the Fan960 iconic moment win lol

Also proving Edmonton was no good in 1986 as well.
They haven't called or texted me... I've sent an email in and messaged them on Facebook as well.

I was pretty confident I'd win. When Steinberg started talking about the game in 86 with the Steve Smith goal, I figured he was going to ask who got credit for the goal so I had the text all ready to send in!
Old 11-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #2810
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
How about we don't bring politics into this thread when the situation isn't even comparable?

This is an actual situation where an Oilers employee had an embarrassing emotional outburst during a Flames press conference followed by other comments calling for that players head. Why does this person deserve access to these players now?

Stop fishing for thanks.
Yeah, that's not what I'm doing, so let's stop trying to characterize me as some sort of fame whore. That ain't me.

It's literally what Trump did the other day, so yeah it's perfectly comparable. He didn't like what was being said during a press conference and revoked the press privileges for the reporter. Banning people for having a different opinion of events is a pretty unlikable thing to be talking about, I don't care who they are.

The whole thing is a little petty on his part, but I truly wonder if some of us would be saying the same things if the shoe was on the other foot, so I'm not going to call for his press pass over it. It's nothing to get so worked up over, but go ahead if you feel the need to.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #2811
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Guesses as to who this was? Betting it was Stauffer with the salt.

No way can't be Stauffer, he doesn't mope arou-

Bob Stauffer

@Bob_Stauffer
In the "new age" NHL the only way to combat a guy like Tkachuk who targeted McDavid in the Backlund melee...
Is to reciprocate by targeting Gaudreau...
If Tkachuk is going to go "full turtle" when challenged...
The Oilers will have to lower themselves to that game!

Love the reply back on his tweet

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #2812
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
They haven't called or texted me... I've sent an email in and messaged them on Facebook as well.

I was pretty confident I'd win. When Steinberg started talking about the game in 86 with the Steve Smith goal, I figured he was going to ask who got credit for the goal so I had the text all ready to send in!

Wasn't it Neuwy? (I wasn't listening)
Old 11-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #2813
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Yeah, that's not what I'm doing, so let's stop trying to characterize me as some sort of fame whore. That ain't me.

It's literally what Trump did the other day, so yeah it's perfectly comparable. He didn't like what was being said during a press conference and revoked the press privileges for the reporter. Banning people for having a different opinion of events is a pretty unlikable thing to be talking about, I don't care who they are.

The whole thing is a little petty on his part, but I truly wonder if some of us would be saying the same things if the shoe was on the other foot, so I'm not going to call for his press pass over it. It's nothing to get so worked up over, but go ahead if you feel the need to.
I am aware that the WH removed Acosta's privileges but it is not comparable because

1. The Flames are not a government body. Nobody has a right to this type of access.
2. Acosta did nothing wrong. This Oilers' employee did.

The Canadian sports media is already cancerous as it is.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #2814
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
Wasn't it Neuwy? (I wasn't listening)
Berezan got credit for the goal as he was the last Flame to touch it on the dump in. Neuwy was a rookie in 89.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #2815
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1064559518141444103
Old 11-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #2816
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

Nice work. I won a couple of weeks back. They announced some other dude on the radio then phoned me later on in the day.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #2817
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
“With this roster” like that’s something that improves his chances at success.

You could give me 100 chances to roll a 7, but if you only give me 1 die it ain’t happening.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #2818
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Following the link that was provided here, I read through the HFBoard Oilers game thread for Saturday night's game, and it made me sick to my stomach about the classless comments in there.

Things like (paraphrasing):

"I'd be okay if Kassian got a suspension for bashing Tkachuk"

"Johnny deserves to be injured, by turning his head into the boards trying draw a penalty."

And when those comments were made, the Oilers were winning too.

At first I thought it was just an HF boards thing, but then I read through the Flames game day thread for the same game, and there was nothing like that.

It's one thing to have a rivalry between fans, but wishing injuries upon opposing players by multiple posters in several posts is a pretty strong self-condemnation of the Oilers fan base.

Thank goodness for the moderators here at CP and to Gaskal who has to wade through all that trash to put together the ATL.

Last edited by shadowlord; 11-19-2018 at 10:57 AM. Reason: typo correction
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #2819
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Berezan got credit for the goal as he was the last Flame to touch it on the dump in. Neuwy was a rookie in 89.
you are correct Nieuwy wasn't on the 85-86 team, but he made his debut at the tail end of the following season, and had his first 50+ goal campaign in 87-88 a feat he repeated in 88-89
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #2820
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
Following the link that was provided here, I read through the HFBoard Oilers game thread for Saturday night's game, and it made me sick to my stomach about the classless comments in there.

Things like (paraphrasing):

"I'd be okay if Kassian got a suspension for bashing Tkachuk"

"Johnny deserves to be injured, by turning his head into the boards trying draw a penalty."

And when those comments were made, the Oilers were winning too.

At first I thought it was just an HF boards thing, but then I read through the Flames game day thread for the same same, and there was nothing like that.

It's one thing to have a rivalry between fans, but wishing injuries upon opposing players by multiple posters in several posts is a pretty strong self-condemnation of the Oilers fan base.

Thank goodness for the moderators here at CP and to Gaskal is who has to wade through all that trash to put together the ATL.
A lot of it stems from their media team. When you have Staples and Stauffer openly calling for the heads of Flames players, they've crossed the line from journalist/reporter to being a fan. Other fans see that kind of rhetoric as justification to voice their own comments, and the whole thing just snowballs out of control. Even in the GDT thread in the general forum on HF, Oilers fans openly call for the injuries of Flames players.

And it's not just one or two media guys. It's systemic up in Edmonton. It's not just limited to one company either.

The Flames have somebody like Francis who sometimes is a bad homer with bad takes, but even he doesn't stoop this low.

Last edited by Ashasx; 11-19-2018 at 11:00 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread