Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #2801
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamps View Post
You spend thousands of dollars a year going to the Saddledome and are unwilling to spend about 5 dollars a year on your property tax bill to have a new arena ?? A man of principal ... you cannot see the public benefit of having a new arena and the city chipping in to make it happen because the other people contributing have too much money and the players make too much money and they will be making too much money off of you as opposed to now... is that right ???
I spend thousands of dollars a year at restaurants, and am unwilling to have the city build the same restaurants new buildings.

I spend thousands of dollars a year at grocery stores, and am unwilling to have the city build the same grocery stores new buildings.

I spend thousands of dollars a year at bars, and am unwilling to have the city build the same bars new buildings.

I spend thousands of dollars a year at my house, and am unwilling to have the city build me a new house.

I spend thousands of dollars a year at a movie theater, and am unwilling to have the city build the same theaters new buildings.

Businesses provide goods and services to the public. The public pays for those goods and services. The money paid by customers keeps the business afloat so they can continue to provide more goods and services. That's generally how it works.

Is that what you mean by principled?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #2802
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
*boggling intensifies*
Are you either:
A, A drive by artist that isn't contributing.
B, denying that there are any subsidies to all kinds of businesses, institutions, organizations and for profit places?
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flame On For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 01:43 PM   #2803
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
Now that the Flames are done talking, it would be cool if they released some of the Vic Park renderings if they have any..
I think this might be it.

Spoiler!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #2804
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Now that the Flames are done talking, it would be cool if they released some of the Vic Park renderings if they have any..
They barely spent any money on their CalgaryNEXT proposal, they wouldn't spend anything for renderings on a different proposal.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:54 PM   #2805
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post
Are you either:
A, A drive by artist that isn't contributing.
B, denying that there are any subsidies to all kinds of businesses, institutions, organizations and for profit places?
I think the answer is C, the poster recognizes that subsidies are given to all kinds of businesses, institutions, organizations and for profit places. They also recognize that the solution to eliminating unnecessary subsidies is not to continue handing them out like candy without any sort of due diligence from our elected officials to ensure that they are worth the investment.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 02:01 PM   #2806
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I think the answer is C, the poster recognizes that subsidies are given to all kinds of businesses, institutions, organizations and for profit places. They also recognize that the solution to eliminating unnecessary subsidies is not to continue handing them out like candy without any sort of due diligence from our elected officials to ensure that they are worth the investment.
And the subsidy the Flames want is the range of half a billion dollars.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #2807
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamps View Post
You spend thousands of dollars a year going to the Saddledome and are unwilling to spend about 5 dollars a year on your property tax bill to have a new arena ??
Why don't the Flames just charge a bit more for events and build it themselves if it is just that easy? 850,000 "transactions" a year just from the Flames alone, that's more transactions than there are 'dwellings' for property tax.

Then have a donation option for people just willing to fork over the cash to speed up the repayment.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:23 PM   #2808
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He insinuated that he doesn't support any subsidized entertainment. Pretty much every TV show and movie made around here is subsidized by local government, either Calgary or Alberta.

I imagine he's never gone to the Saddledome, which was 100% taxpayer subsidized.

Or maybe, just maybe, is it this one business?
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #2809
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
And the subsidy the Flames want is the range of half a billion dollars.
What is that per property? What's the average hit per municipal ratepayer?
Old 09-28-2017, 02:31 PM   #2810
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does saying it's $5 a year make the fact that the city has to allocate hundreds of millions of dollars of money it could spend on things like roads and schools to this just not register with people?
Old 09-28-2017, 02:37 PM   #2811
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
Does saying it's $5 a year make the fact that the city has to allocate hundreds of millions of dollars of money it could spend on things like roads and schools to this just not register with people?
Roads are fine, I know nothing about schools as I don't have kids, but the City isn't exactly falling apart. We can have all of these things just fine.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:50 PM   #2812
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Roads are fine, I know nothing about schools as I don't have kids, but the City isn't exactly falling apart. We can have all of these things just fine.
You realize you are acknowledging you don't know enough of the facts to make an informed assessment about what the city needs to have or address while at the same time you are trying to pass off your assessment of what the city can or can't afford have or address as credible right?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #2813
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You realize you are acknowledging you don't know enough of the facts to make an informed assessment about what the city needs to have or address while at the same time you are trying to pass off your assessment of what the city can or can't afford have or address as credible right?
Yes I acknowledge I do not know all the facts.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:55 PM   #2814
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He insinuated that he doesn't support any subsidized entertainment. Pretty much every TV show and movie made around here is subsidized by local government, either Calgary or Alberta.

I imagine he's never gone to the Saddledome, which was 100% taxpayer subsidized.

Or maybe, just maybe, is it this one business?
Because governments make/made bad decisions should not be used to justify making further bad decisions.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:59 PM   #2815
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just read the Eric Francis column in the Herald (a friend called me about it as I'm in New Brunswick travelling). What a {{censored because EF has apparently threatened people for calling him names}}!

Bettman is a tool - just what we need: a smarmy, mealy-mouthed New York lawyer who works for 30 mega-rich guys telling us how to run our country, province and city.....oh, yah, he knows.

"Bend over, each and every one of you......"

Methinks Bettman just won the election for Nenshi.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 03:11 PM   #2816
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Just read the Eric Francis column in the Herald (a friend called me about it as I'm in New Brunswick travelling). What a {{censored because EF has apparently threatened people for calling him names}}!

Bettman is a tool - just what we need: a smarmy, mealy-mouthed New York lawyer who works for 30 mega-rich guys telling us how to run our country, province and city.....oh, yah, he knows.

"Bend over, each and every one of you......"

At the end of the day we all know what the issue is. They want free money and the Mayor is reluctant to give it to them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Old 09-28-2017, 03:12 PM   #2817
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Frankly I think he's only increasing the margin of victory.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 03:18 PM   #2818
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
The Spin Doctors that all the Anti-CSEC group are...you fail to see that people without children are still paying for schools on their taxes (even at provincial levels) and roads even if they live downtown and commute by foot/bike. The list goes on; I never go to the emergency room/hospital but yet I pay for habitual users of the system, or ones that choose vises that stain the system but refuse to adjust their lifestyle...the same people that claim it is free! It is so easy to put up your road block claims and never analyze what it actually means, I am going to refer to it as the Big Mac argument, yes it is a burger but it is any good... any real sustenance?
Old 09-28-2017, 03:22 PM   #2819
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlan View Post
The Spin Doctors that all the Anti-CSEC group are...you fail to see that people without children are still paying for schools on their taxes (even at provincial levels) and roads even if they live downtown and commute by foot/bike. The list goes on; I never go to the emergency room/hospital but yet I pay for habitual users of the system, or ones that choose vises that stain the system but refuse to adjust their lifestyle...the same people that claim it is free! It is so easy to put up your road block claims and never analyze what it actually means, I am going to refer to it as the Big Mac argument, yes it is a burger but it is any good... any real sustenance?
Could you outline how a Luxury item like the arena is the same as a necessity like a Hospital?

I mean Cancer is indiscriminate. It can happen to anyone.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:22 PM   #2820
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Give your head a shake. You want to compare school funding and infrastructure spending to a luxury entertainment product for the financially privileged?

Kids, wether you personally have them or not, need to be educated for the better of society. People need roads to travel across the city. Nobody "needs" the Calgary flames and the NHL except people who are well off and have money to burn on a product they personally enjoy
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread