Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who do you want as the Flames' new coach
Darryl Sutter 232 27.59%
Alain Vigneault 395 46.97%
Barry Trotz 72 8.56%
Bill Peters 31 3.69%
Lindy Ruff 16 1.90%
Dallas Eakins 16 1.90%
Sheldon Keefe 6 0.71%
Dave Tippett 30 3.57%
Someone else... 43 5.11%
Voters: 841. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2018, 10:22 PM   #261
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Gulutzan is to coaching candidates what Trump is to politicians.

Everyone looks like an upgrade compared to GG.

I can’t imagine any coach that I would consider to be a downgrade. Well, maybe Dallas Eakins. Or Kevin Lowe.

But almost everyone else, hell yes. AV or Quenneville, awesome. Trots, absolutely. Sutter, Tippett, for sure. Capuano or Huska, why not. Lanny and Mcgratton, sounds fun.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 10:25 PM   #262
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Calgary goes out and puts Tippett in charge of this core of players, there are no trades or drafting that will make this team great.

If Tippett was going to be brought in it should have been before GG and that time has passed. GG is horrible and should be fired on the day after the session ends.

Then the organization should pause and see what coaches are/will become available.

I still thinks Huska deserves an interview if anyone in the organization can evaluate potential at the NHL level, perhaps an assistant?
iamca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:28 PM   #263
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Coyotes did go to the conference finals one year with Tippett, Smith, Maloney and Treliving. That's still better than ECHL finals runner up.
Cool Story how does that compare to the resume for Q or Sutter? Tippett is boring and even a broken clock is right twice a day. I don't see why we are turning into the Coyotes good old boys refugee club. We're worse than the Oilers.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 10:30 PM   #264
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want a veteran coach this is not the time for Huska or another AHL/CHL/NCAA coach.

Quenville, AV, Trotz would be the top targets. Sutter or Tippet are options to consider as well.

New coach and moving a Dman for a forward and this team can be exciting again.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 10:32 PM   #265
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't believe it's a done deal, but my money would probably be on Tippet being next flames coach. Don't see Q considering Calgary if he is let go. Also don't think owners are going to fork over $6+ million on a long term contract for a coach. I don't think AV is going to be let go. I think a lot fences would have to be mended for Sutter to think about coming back to Calgary . I also don't think they would go with an unknown again.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 10:34 PM   #266
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

I really want AV. No one else.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:57 PM   #267
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like there's a fallout 4 supply line between the settlements of Arizona and Calgary. Ug.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:03 PM   #268
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Cool Story how does that compare to the resume for Q or Sutter? Tippett is boring and even a broken clock is right twice a day. I don't see why we are turning into the Coyotes good old boys refugee club. We're worse than the Oilers.
Hey I agree with you, for me it's Darryl Sutter or Coach Q, but I'd still take Tippett over GG.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:36 PM   #269
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

AV, Darryl or Q please. Make the 'next great coach' an Assistant and prime him to take over when the time is right.

The Flames cannot afford to miss the playoffs again after this season.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:48 PM   #270
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Ralph Krueger or Marc Crawford would be my pick.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:50 PM   #271
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My top four in order are

1) Sutter
2) AV
3) Trotz
4) QV
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:13 AM   #272
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Im embarressed but who is AV?🤔
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:13 AM   #273
Angelino
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
I doubt Krueger would want to coach this mess , he is already Chairman of Southampton in England.

Angelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:14 AM   #274
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
No to both👎
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gaudreau is a Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2018, 12:16 AM   #275
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

theo for PP coach!!
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:20 AM   #276
Angelino
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudreau is a Ninja View Post
Im embarressed but who is AV?🤔
Alain Vigneault

Angelino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelino For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2018, 12:32 AM   #277
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tippett isn't my first choice, but I would welcome him. You know what this team really needs? A coach that can come in and implement a system BASED ON THE COMPOSITION OF THE TEAM. Hartley did it, and the team exceeded expectations. Brent didn't do it, and the team sucked. Keenan didn't do it, and the team underperformed. Darryl did it, and the team vastly exceeded expectations. Gulutzan hasn't done it, and the team is under-performing.

Tippett has done it in Dallas - high scoring, up-tempo system, and then in Arizona - boring defensive-heavy system.

Unless he has become stuck in a certain system now, I would be optimistic about him coming in, analyzing the roster, and developing a system that takes the team's strengths into consideration, and implements a fast-transition game.

I just don't think he would even be considered based on the rumors that swirled around him and Maloney. If there was any truth to them, there is simply no way he would ever be asked to come on board, especially given the history of the Flames (Darryl Sutter taking control of the team and essentially pushing out Button, and then Feaster doing the same with Sutter). If I am Treliving, there is simply no way that I would entertain the notion of even interviewing a coach who has tried to get his boss fired.

I am also of the opinion that there is simply no way that Gulutzan is back, regardless of what some are saying in the media. Can anyone out there say that this product has been any good? It is a heck of a lot more boring and hasn't resulted in any improvement over the past regime. When you factor in how much more improved this team has become, as well as how much easier this division has become, there is simply no way that Gulutzan can survive this.

I am sure he is a good guy. I will actually feel bad for him when he is let-go, uprooting his family once again. I just don't see a way around it. The way this team has been plagued with inconsistency from the outset of his tenure in Calgary, to the abysmal record down the stretch while trying to force their way into a playoff picture, to the absolute train-wreck of a finish to close out the season...

If you are Treliving, how do you come out in the media and respond to the question of "Why didn't you change coaches if this new one wasn't able to take this team as far as the last one did, while maintaining you fired the last one - a Jack Adams winner, the first in franchise history - for not being able to take this team any farther?"

I know there probably could be an explanation in there somewhere, but the explanation would have to consist of outlining Hartley's shortcomings more than any of Gulutzan's achievements.

Hire a good coach. A coach with a track record of implementing different systems, or at least a system where the high-octane, puck moving thoroughbred of a defensive corps in place can actually be utilized, with a splash of offensive creativity.

Ruff
Sutter
AV
Quenneville
Trotz
Tippett (not likely)

Three of these are available now (though, once again, only two of them would gain any consideration - Sutter and Ruff, with Tippett being a pariah and all).

Wait for the possible changes this off-season and see who becomes available. I just don't see how this organization can come out and give Gulutzan the vote of confidence now. Maybe... MAYBE they could have come out with something if the Flames finished strong but just missed out. I just don't see any scenario where the Flames retain Gulutzan and rationalize it.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2018, 12:52 AM   #278
CanucksWorstNightmare
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Willie Desjardins!!!This guy is a darn good coach that was handed a crap team in Vancouver.Has won a Calder Cup Championship along with World Junior Gold,also took Tigers to Memorial Cup.Has a degree in psychology and many of his ex players speak very highly of him.
CanucksWorstNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanucksWorstNightmare For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2018, 01:11 AM   #279
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don know whats gonna happen, all I hope to happen is a total wipe of the coaching staff. TOTAL. No sigalet, Not Gully, no Jerard , No Gelly (find him a front office job.). Not sure the video guy a problem so maybe keep him as he likely has the video library cued up just the way he likes it.

Sutter, Trotz, Tippett, AV, Quenville...I don't care just set up a new crew.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:27 AM   #280
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hopefully John Tortorella gets fired from Columbus and then the Flames hire him.
Buck Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote