Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2017, 11:54 AM   #261
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Holy Christ this place is gloomy, you would think we had the same start as Edmonton. Sometimes I think the lack of success in the past has made some fans so used to griping and whining that anything will set them off. We could win the next four and then drop 1 game and this would all start up again.
Its not so much the result to me but the way they are playing that really concerns me. If they hustled, competed and were engaged last night I wouldn't be so upset about the loss. Sometimes that happens, but its a trend that has continued from last year to this year with this head coach and group of players.

Often coming out sleep walking, losing battles/races to the puck, relying heavily on the goaltending, and letting the other team dictate play. The heavy reliance on goaltending even happened last year during the hot streak.

The only game that I've seen this year where they've looked invested completely and ready to battle is the game in Anaheim. Other than that I haven't seen anything to suggest that this team is anything but mediocre with outstanding goaltending. Admittedly I missed periods 2 and 3 vs Winnipeg and the entire Senators game.

With Hartley they were terrible possession team and gave up a tonne of chances but I saw more compete in them that year, more speed. Maybe its not possible in GGs system to have both, I don't know, but the system and the in game adjustments seem really stale to me.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #262
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
I'm not saying to switch the whole system around, just that we need some variation. It looks easy to defend against the flames because they never change it up. The D can hold the line because they know no one will be behind them and that the flames will chip it to center or hold onto it and go cross ice. It's the same thing with our PP entry. Just a serious lack of deviation from set plays.
I feel like yes and no on this.

Early this season I've been watching a lot more games around the rest of the league than I normally would at this time, and it seems obvious to me like it was in the first game of the season against he oilers: the Flames are one of the slowest clubs in the league.

I don't think that is coaching, I think it's personnel, and it really creates what you're noticing: the appearance of not enough speed through the neutral zone to create hesitation on the defending side of the puck.

Backlund is probably the Flames fastest forward and while he's got some nice straight ahead speed and hustles his bag off, I don't think you'd say he's a top 30 skater in the NHL.

I think that reflects in the penalties as well. I'm just not impressed by Bennett's foot speed and think it's the largest contributor to his stick infraction penalties.

The Flames are missing two elements you need if you want a chip and chase aspect to your gameplan: speed and physicality. Flames can't catch the puck if they chip it in because they aren't fast enough, and they can't force enough turnovers when they do chip it in because they aren't a physical threat on the forecheck. The top 6 forwards are butter soft in that regard, which I don't think is a huge deal necessarily, but it limits your ability to play different styles. Even if Gaudreau wanted to chip it into a corner when he has no passing options, he doesn't have a linemate that will go get it for him. Monahan is good along the boards if he's already there, but he's not going to win any races for a contested puck to use that skill.

A top 6 of: Gaudreau - Monahan - Jagr - Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik isn't going to intimidate anyone in the league. You'd like to see Ferland in that mix but I think his potential to be that player is drying up quickly. Even then, he's still just one player. Tkachuk is irritating but he's not a consistent physical factor in terms of the forecheck unless doughty is on the ice. I'm not talking about running guys through the boards, but enough physicality to make an easy out a contested puck.

This was somewhat predictable:

SN: Do you have enough scoring? Or will better goaltending and defence mean you won’t need as many goals?

Treliving: Part B, you hope. If there’s one thing that keeps me up at night it is, are we going to get enough scoring. That’s what everybody talks about. The encouraging thing for me is, we’re not coming off a year where six guys had career years. If anything, we had guys under (achieve). That gives me some comfort. But you’re always worried about it. Whoever scores the most goals wins. That’s still how they keep track.

Do we have enough? We’ll see. We’ll see.

I had hoped that Bennett progressing might have been enough to help that but it's just not looking that way at this point.

Flames are definitely heavy on the back end and the longer they go scoring 2 or less goals per game (4 of the last 7 games), the likelier it is to see a forward and a defender packaged together to get a high value scorer in return. If Bennett keeps playing the way he has, basically averaging a minor penalty per game with no points, it's likely he'll be the forward on the way out. Brodie going with him wouldn't surprise me either.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 12:14 PM   #263
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

@Fan960Steinberg
#Flames lines today:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Jagr
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Lazar
Glass-Stajan-Brouwer

Hamilton, Ferland extras.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #264
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I think their problem really is that they are almost constantly doing PK duties.
Except its their own fault. Tkachuk is actively a liability right now because he's in a mode where he thinks taking selfish penalties is agitating. Backlund has also been uncharacteristically sloppy on the penalty front as well.

The good news is that they should - Backlund especially - figure it out relatively quickly. And once that line gets clicking, we'll be playing a lot better.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #265
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
@Fan960Steinberg
#Flames lines today:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Jagr
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Lazar
Glass-Stajan-Brouwer

Hamilton, Ferland extras.
I missed the game yesterday, Did Ferland play bad?
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #266
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I feel like yes and no on this.

Early this season I've been watching a lot more games around the rest of the league than I normally would at this time, and it seems obvious to me like it was in the first game of the season against he oilers: the Flames are one of the slowest clubs in the league.

I don't think that is coaching, I think it's personnel, and it really creates what you're noticing: the appearance of not enough speed through the neutral zone to create hesitation on the defending side of the puck.

Backlund is probably the Flames fastest forward and while he's got some nice straight ahead speed and hustles his bag off, I don't think you'd say he's a top 30 skater in the NHL.

I think that reflects in the penalties as well. I'm just not impressed by Bennett's foot speed and think it's the largest contributor to his stick infraction penalties.

The Flames are missing two elements you need if you want a chip and chase aspect to your gameplan: speed and physicality. Flames can't catch the puck if they chip it in because they aren't fast enough, and they can't force enough turnovers when they do chip it in because they aren't a physical threat on the forecheck. The top 6 forwards are butter soft in that regard, which I don't think is a huge deal necessarily, but it limits your ability to play different styles. Even if Gaudreau wanted to chip it into a corner when he has no passing options, he doesn't have a linemate that will go get it for him. Monahan is good along the boards if he's already there, but he's not going to win any races for a contested puck to use that skill.

A top 6 of: Gaudreau - Monahan - Jagr - Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik isn't going to intimidate anyone in the league. You'd like to see Ferland in that mix but I think his potential to be that player is drying up quickly. Even then, he's still just one player. Tkachuk is irritating but he's not a consistent physical factor in terms of the forecheck unless doughty is on the ice. I'm not talking about running guys through the boards, but enough physicality to make an easy out a contested puck.

This was somewhat predictable:

SN: Do you have enough scoring? Or will better goaltending and defence mean you won’t need as many goals?

Treliving: Part B, you hope. If there’s one thing that keeps me up at night it is, are we going to get enough scoring. That’s what everybody talks about. The encouraging thing for me is, we’re not coming off a year where six guys had career years. If anything, we had guys under (achieve). That gives me some comfort. But you’re always worried about it. Whoever scores the most goals wins. That’s still how they keep track.

Do we have enough? We’ll see. We’ll see.

I had hoped that Bennett progressing might have been enough to help that but it's just not looking that way at this point.

Flames are definitely heavy on the back end and the longer they go scoring 2 or less goals per game (4 of the last 7 games), the likelier it is to see a forward and a defender packaged together to get a high value scorer in return. If Bennett keeps playing the way he has, basically averaging a minor penalty per game with no points, it's likely he'll be the forward on the way out. Brodie going with him wouldn't surprise me either.
I think they thought Brouwer and Ferland were going to provide the heavy forcheck element and Bennet was going to provide some speed in the top 6 but none of them have lived up to expectations.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #267
ThaBrink
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I wouldn't say he played bad. But he was pretty invisible all game
ThaBrink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThaBrink For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 12:51 PM   #268
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I bet its injury related...
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:56 PM   #269
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know why but 2/3 times he made a power move around a defender on his backhand side, and just immediately tossed a backhand pass out to absolutley nobody. Turnover.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #270
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was still Ferlands stronger game this year. He was actually shooting the puck and possessed the puck.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #271
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kristen Odland @Kristen_Odland
Excellent chat with Flames head coach Glen Gulutzan today. Very passionate. Probably the most fired up/frustrated I've seen him.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #272
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Excellent chat with Flames head coach Glen Gulutzan today. Very passionate. Probably the most fired up/frustrated I've seen him.
That doesn't sound accurate based on what we know about his personality from 25 seconds of screen time/game.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #273
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't believe the disappointment on here is related to this one game. Take away the gimmick points, and the Flames have had a losing record the last two seasons. The excitement from the fanbase revolves around improvement and potential. I would fully expect some criticism until this improvement starts to manifest. Seeing no improvement from players like Ferland and Bennett is not going to help since not many other forwards on that roster seem likely to get a whole lot better.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #274
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like a train ride is coming up.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #275
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBrink View Post
I wouldn't say he played bad. But he was pretty invisible all game
He was pretty bad. Made a couple of open ice passes to no one on the rush. -1
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camm13 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #276
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

Meh. Where the hell is this passion during the game on the bench when it matters?
Old 10-20-2017, 01:11 PM   #277
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm starting to get really fed up with Ferland. The guy hasn't thrown a body check like in his first playoff series since that series ended. He needs to be a wrecking ball out there. Don't become Rene Borque 2.0
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:11 PM   #278
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I thought it was still Ferlands stronger game this year. He was actually shooting the puck and possessed the puck.
Ferlund had a corsi % of 19.2. 3rd worst on the team last night, with Stone and Bart finishing below him. He posessed nothing today except horrible passes to no one. He had one shot on net. Besides that , completely invisible.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #279
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kristen Odland‏Verified account @Kristen_Odland 9m9 minutes ago
More
Players that have drawn more penalties than they've taken, have a bank account.

Gulutzan: "Those guys that don’t have a bank account, they’re going to sit on the bench.”

Kristen Odland‏Verified account @Kristen_Odland 8m8 minutes ago
More
So, by his calculations: Gaudreau, Tkachuk have bank accounts. Bennett and Hamilton don't.

Kristen Odland‏Verified account @Kristen_Odland 8m8 minutes ago
More
But, that being said, Gulutzan -- even a day later -- was still not endorsing Tkachuk's penalty at the end of the second period.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:19 PM   #280
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post: