Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #261
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
No.

Losing isn't going to "ruin" our kids.

Look at Florida, with Huberdeau. He's playing on an abysmal team, yet I'll bet any one of us would be happy to let him play for us, even after such an awful experience that has so obviously ruined him. /sarcasm

Flames need a franchise guy, and the only way it's going to happen is through the draft. Mid-round picks aren't going to cut it, we need top 3 or bust. This is the 4th consecutive year out of the playoffs, how anyone can cheer for the Flames to win, now that they are mathematically eliminated and the potential reward for losing is the top 3 draft pick this team has always lacked, is beyond my comprehension.

It's 6 games, cheer for losses, have a blast watching the draft, and we can all cheer for a winning tradition next season. I'm just thankful they pulled this fiasco in a shortened season, on that I hope we can all agree.
How has that helped Florida? Strange example.

Individuals can continue to have success without the team going anywhere
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #262
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unreal how Edmonton has a good chance of picking before us.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #263
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No.

Losing isn't going to "ruin" our kids.

Look at Florida, with Huberdeau. He's playing on an abysmal team, yet I'll bet any one of us would be happy to let him play for us, even after such an awful experience that has so obviously ruined him. /sarcasm

Flames need a franchise guy, and the only way it's going to happen is through the draft. Mid-round picks aren't going to cut it, we need top 3 or bust. This is the 4th consecutive year out of the playoffs, how anyone can cheer for the Flames to win, now that they are mathematically eliminated and the potential reward for losing is the top 3 draft pick this team has always lacked, is beyond my comprehension.

It's 6 games, cheer for losses, have a blast watching the draft, and we can all cheer for a winning tradition next season. I'm just thankful they pulled this fiasco in a shortened season, on that I hope we can all agree.

Ya lets go ahead and follow the Florida model and have an amazing prospect and garbage team. Did you even think this thru before you posted it?!?
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #264
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
How has that helped Florida? Strange example.

Individuals can continue to have success without the team going anywhere
I'm not saying it has. But a guy like Huberdeau is a core building block around which you can develop a hockey team. Guys like that are priceless, IMO.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #265
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
Ya lets go ahead and follow the Florida model and have an amazing prospect and garbage team. Did you even think this thru before you posted it?!?
Say it with me.... we had the opposite model, and we've missed for 4 straight years.

They are one of the WORST teams int he entire NHL.

You go on continuing to cheer for mediocrity, I'll cheer for real change.

I've been saying for years that this team goes nowhere until Iginla isn't their 1st line winger. Management finally got backed into a corner where they were forced to make that a reality. The healing process can now begin, and that starts with a top young prospect around which to build.

You disagree, that's cool, we're all entitled to our own opinion.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #266
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Unreal how Edmonton has a good chance of picking before us.
It really isn't. A silly five game winning streak got everyone jumping on the Oilers bandwagon yet again.

Their longest winning streak previous to that was 2 games, which they did twice. Even the Flames managed to have a two game winning streak five times.

They're bad, just as bad if not worse then us. Year four of the rebuild is approaching while the Flames haven't even started year one.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #267
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
It really isn't. A silly five game winning streak got everyone jumping on the Oilers bandwagon yet again.

Their longest winning streak previous to that was 2 games, which they did twice. Even the Flames managed to have a two game winning streak five times.

They're bad, just as bad if not worse then us. Year four of the rebuild is approaching while the Flames haven't even started year one.
And their fans don't even want a defenceman with the pick... HF Oil all want Monahan.

Nurse, Pulock, and Ristolainen would all be better options for them.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #268
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think at this point it has to be about the process. A winning atmosphere is all about habits and attitude. If the Flames are playing with good habits and a good attitude for the rest of the season, that is what is important. If they win, then so be it. If they lose, then so be it. But it is critical that this team starts laying the foundation for good habits, accountability, and achieving results. You can't just turn these things on when it's convenient and off when it is not.

If fans wanna cheer for losses, knock yourself out. I can understand the point of view. But I have really enjoyed the way the team has been playing the last few games and I hope they keep it up, even if they do win a few more games that some of the other bottom dwellers.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wingmaker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #269
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
And their fans don't even want a defenceman with the pick... HF Oil all want Monahan.

Nurse, Pulock, and Ristolainen would all be better options for them.
That's lunacy. Wanting a Center, I mean.

Oil need Defence. They need Defence worse than Calgary does, and that's pretty sad.

Scariest thing for me about next year is the fact that the Flames D core is going to look almost the same as it does today because no one is on an expiring contract. Butler's the only one, and I'd bet dollar for dollar that they re-sign him.

Worst defense in the league, at the very least bottom 3, and they may very well go into next year with the same group. I just don't see how they can change things, unless Feaster starts pulling some magical rabbits out of his hat and get other GMs to take guys like Sarich, Butler and Smith off his hands, so he can make room for guys like Wotherspoon, Breen and maybe a Ristolainen.

Last edited by StrykerSteve; 04-16-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #270
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just watched some of that Oil Change, and it's pretty obvious that the inmates are running the asylum there. WAY too much worship piled on those kids. Every goal they score is celebrated like it's a Stanley Cup winner and their fans just eat it up. They do what they want and that's why they suck.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #271
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
Can we please stop looking for OOT help and hoping for Flames loses? The team needs to learn how to win and be developed in a winning atmoshere; not the losing stench that the Oilers have found themselves in.

I want the kids to be hungry and win every damn game left. I want them to train hard in the offseason chomping at the bit to get us in the playoffs next year.
Losing these next 6 and drafting a guy like MacKinnon will increase our chances at making it next year

That 4-3 loss is an example of a perfect loss. We still lose and our young guys still worked their tails off

It's only 6 more games, not half a season
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #272
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally don't care if losing has helped or hurt other teams. I want this team to have an elite centre prospect regardless if other teams have screwed up their plan.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #273
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not saying it has. But a guy like Huberdeau is a core building block around which you can develop a hockey team. Guys like that are priceless, IMO.
I get that, but the loading environment could still be hurting him. Too early to tell. Yes getting a higher draft pick is wonderful, but there better be fire in the organization to win or you end up with Florida
Old 04-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #274
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I get that, but the loading environment could still be hurting him. Too early to tell. Yes getting a higher draft pick is wonderful, but there better be fire in the organization to win or you end up with Florida
I get that, most definitely.

But sometimes I think we need to take off our homer goggles.

Flames have missed the playoffs 12 out of the 22 seasons I've been watching hockey, or 54.5% of the time. I've been fortunate enough to see them make the dance 10 times in my life. Only once have they had any semblance of success in those appearances (2004).

Despite this, they've never had a pick higher than 6 in the draft, ever.

A top 3 pick could potentially change everything, that's why I'm rooting for it.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #275
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I get that, most definitely.

But sometimes I think we need to take off our homer goggles.

Flames have missed the playoffs 12 out of the 22 seasons I've been watching hockey, or 54.5% of the time. I've been fortunate enough to see them make the dance 10 times in my life. Only once have they had any semblance of success in those appearances (2004).

Despite this, they've never had a pick higher than 6 in the draft, ever.

A top 3 pick could potentially change everything, that's why I'm rooting for it.
I agree

Tags
canucks suck , go high draft pick , no winnin for mackinnon , oilers please win , please losers