Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #261
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Of course that is true, but the same can be said for why David brought back the jar of goo in Prometheus (something that other people have called a plot hole).
No the question is why does he 'Poison/test' on the person with the most expertise about a mission his creator has funded and needs to live?

I honestly think if they had brought the 'Grunts/Security' along to the compound you could have eliminated a lot of stupid parts. (Not to mention why did you bring security on the trip but not to the compound? Why would you assume hire mercenaries will automatically shoot everything? They are paid professionals on a billion dollar mission)

Biologist and Geologist get lost - Make Grunts get lost
Biologist touches Alien - Make grunts touch Alien
Poison/Test of main scientist - Test on Grunts

The Biologist and Geologist then could have actually added some scientific knowledge and potentially filled in some of the plotholes/questions.

At least it would have eliminated the whole "We are on arguably the most important scientific mission in human history, and we have only morons part-take"
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #262
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Different times. With the internet anyone with a keyboard can now call themselves a movie critic. Dissecting, being critical, and passing off your opinion as relevant is empowering for nerds behind a keyboards. Now I like most here know what a truly bad movie is. Seen lots and probably more than most here but this isn't a bad movie. Perfection? Absolutely not but taken in as an experience its mostly satisfying.
Pot meet kettle.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #263
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
This one is easy, because he was programmed to bring back Alien life at all costs. Crew expendable and all that.
They are all answered based on the scenario that Ash is carrying out.

That's why they make sense, and why they aren't "plot holes", but "plot".
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #264
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
How about this - for those who loved "Alien" and Aliens, but hated "Prometheus", try to explain why you loved one but not the other.

Alright, I’ll bite. I spent a long time writing this post only to lose everything I’d written so bear with me as I try to remember everything I wrote. Alien and Aliens are fantastic films. What makes them great is that they have simple plots, one easily identifiable adversary and excellent characters.

Spoiler'd for length

Spoiler!

I apologize because this was better articulated the first time I wrote it. For those who don’t want to read an essay, Alien and Aliens are great films because they have simple plots that naturally unfold with characters that are interesting and iconic. Prometheus tries to introduce too much into the plot and the characters are almost all one-dimensional red shirts.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #265
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not that I agree with every thing you said, but good you broke it down with good points.

The mess of ugly alien characters was the draw back for me, it would have been great if they awoke the engineer early and he was the main antagonist throughout.

Alas, that's why its a movie I really like, a solid 7,and not a 9 or ten.

I've had a movie crush on Fassbender lately and man he knocked his role out of the park. It's a shame a performance like this in a Sci - Fi movie won't get oscar buzz.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #266
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Then, MMF, I think you hand out near perfect marks too easily.

I agree with everything written by Stealth, but I also thought the movie wasn't so impressive visually as to make up for what was, a dismal, disjointed and shallow story with terrible, terrible characters.

6.5 is generous in my opinion and doesn't reflect just how 'meh' the movie was. I would say it was a slightly below average movie.

It's not Thor bad, but I don't think I'll get anything more out of watching it a second time.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #267
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

I agree with everything written by Stealth, but I also thought the movie wasn't so impressive visually as to make up for what was, a dismal, disjointed and shallow story with terrible, terrible characters.

6.5 is generous in my opinion and doesn't reflect just how 'meh' the movie was. I would say it was a slightly below average movie.

It's not Thor bad, but I don't think I'll get anything more out of watching it a second time.
3.5 for the visuals and 3 for Fassbender. I don't even want to think of what Prometheus would have been without Fassbender.
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #268
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

just the fact that the debate has gone on this long means that the writer accomplished his goal, broken plot or not. there is not a chance an AVP thread would have this endless discussion on the meaning of all the little nuances that weren't explained. maybe a cheap way to get the word of mouth going, even if a lot of moviegoers were irritated by it.

that being said, I also concur about the mess of alien characters. that black goo is the most convoluted biological weapon ever conceived...it turns worms into acid snakes that jump down your throat but don't impregnate you with anything. it turns humans into raging Frankenstein monsters with squid sperm that can give birth to giant squids that will jump down your throat and impregnate you with xenomorphs. what's the point of that, I'd say the giant squid is a lot more dangerous than the xenomorph it gives birth to.

Maybe the biological weapon was engineered to be so complex that it destroys your brain just thinking about it...I bet that one dead engineer re-awakened and tried to remember what they were working on, which is why his head exploded.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #269
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Don't think I saw these posted:

Charlize Theron explaining her character

Lost scriptwriter interview (Time Magazine)

It was a good movie. The trailer, Alien thing, and Ridley Scott elevated my expectations to 'best sci-fi movie EVAR'.

So in that sense, it was a disappointment. Too many themes, characters, plot points, etc... crammed into one movie. I'm pretty sure the directors cut will flesh it all out much clearer.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #270
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
just the fact that the debate has gone on this long means that the writer accomplished his goal, broken plot or not. there is not a chance an AVP thread would have this endless discussion on the meaning of all the little nuances that weren't explained. maybe a cheap way to get the word of mouth going, even if a lot of moviegoers were irritated by it.

that being said, I also concur about the mess of alien characters. that black goo is the most convoluted biological weapon ever conceived...it turns worms into acid snakes that jump down your throat but don't impregnate you with anything. it turns humans into raging Frankenstein monsters with squid sperm that can give birth to giant squids that will jump down your throat and impregnate you with xenomorphs. what's the point of that, I'd say the giant squid is a lot more dangerous than the xenomorph it gives birth to.

Maybe the biological weapon was engineered to be so complex that it destroys your brain just thinking about it...I bet that one dead engineer re-awakened and tried to remember what they were working on, which is why his head exploded.
The problem with AVP is that they were action movies with entirely forgettable characters. Get some space marines in there. You totally need a squad of ultimate bad asses for an AVP movie to be successful.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #271
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think that this generation requires instant gratification. Unanswered questions to them are 'plot holes' because they prefer their hands held throughout the movie. It's not like it's a 90 minute movie where half of it was left on the cutting room floor but it's a two houre movie. It's the 3rd highest rated summer movie according to Rotten Tomatoes but from some posters you would think it's going to be front and center for a Razzie award. That's not the case as it has been shown the majority of critics and moviegoers liked the movie but there is this loud very vocal minority that demands that entertainment alone is not good enough of a reason to like a movie. They demand answers.
Ha “this generation” what a lazy way to create an us vs. them mentality. If requiring a well thought-out plot that isn’t lazy, and is able to create ambiguity without being totally careless and somewhat concerned with logic, then yes I need someone to hold my hand. I won’t got into the vast litany of details that add up to nothing more than neglectful writing, as they have already been covered in previous posts but to suggest that surface level entertainment is enough to make a movie good is asinine, well maybe not for “your generation”.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #272
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Didn't you once post you only like 2-3 movies a year, and those you do enjoy you watch them into the ground?

Not to pull a Cecil here and be a dick but.. who cares then?
Well nobody cares, or at least they shouldn’t. But this is a message board were people are encouraged to share their opinions and when the topic is a film I’ve recently watched then *gasp* I am inclined to share mine as well. But you are right, I rarely enjoy movies, which is why I almost never watch them. When I do it’s because I get genuinely intrigued and excited by the trailers, which was the case in Prometheus.

Last edited by J pold; 06-19-2012 at 03:54 PM.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #273
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
Well nobody cares, or at least they shouldn’t. But this is a message board were people are encouraged to share their opinions and when the topic is a film I’ve recently watched then *gasp* I am inclined to share mine as well. But you are right, I rarely enjoy movies, which is why I almost never watch them. When I do it’s because I get genuinely intrigued and excited by the trailers, which was the case in Prometheus.
It just seems odd to watch things when you know that you will be sorely dissapointed.

/flames fan
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #274
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Did I say 7 or 9.5? Seven isn't near perfect.

You thanked the post above which totalled 6.5, half a mark below mine lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #275
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've read a few explanations on this (and some pretty neat stuff that I missed); still a few things I don't understand:

- so what was the point of the opening scene?

- why do the Engineers want to destroy Earth? so it wasn't an invitation then?

- those attacking worms that first attacked the geologist, were the worms always there? or did it come on the ship?

- what cause the storm? was it David punching in that code into the wall the triggered the storm?

FTR : I didn't like the movie because I was confused.... I think they tried to cram too many plots at once. Some of the ideas (now that I read reviews on the net) are neat but I totally missed it.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #276
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
I've read a few explanations on this (and some pretty neat stuff that I missed); still a few things I don't understand:

- so what was the point of the opening scene?

- why do the Engineers want to destroy Earth? so it wasn't an invitation then?

- those attacking worms that first attacked the geologist, were the worms always there? or did it come on the ship?

- what cause the storm? was it David punching in that code into the wall the triggered the storm?

FTR : I didn't like the movie because I was confused.... I think they tried to cram too many plots at once. Some of the ideas (now that I read reviews on the net) are neat but I totally missed it.
The worms were in the soil when they opened the vase room. I am pretty sure they were always there and the goo just turned them into the crazy steroid worms when it leaked.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #277
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, well, I disagree with his 6.5.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #278
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, well, I disagree with his 6.5.
Yeah well, what you said about mine made no sense.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #279
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah well, what you said about mine made no sense.
Yeah, well, I've been building Ikea furniture all day.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #280
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I suppose 6.5 is probably over generous considering I won't be buying it when it comes out on Bluray and I do buy quite a few movies. I guess that's what's most telling because I've bought some pretty bad films over the years.