Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2024, 04:42 PM   #261
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ignoring the first world birth lottery I think the genetic lottery is far more important than people think. We all acknowledge that the ability to play even high level junior hockey is limited by genetic ability. We don’t seem to acknowledge that Medicine, Engineering, STEM fields etc are also gate kept by genetics.

So even being lucky enough to have the intellect to succeed in a certain profession is luck.

More and more I fall into the belief that we have very limited ability to actually control outcomes. Essentially do you work hard at something because you choose to work hard or do you work hard because the reward centers in your brain are wired to to reward that behaviour. If it’s the latter a lot of genetic / environmental factors that you have no control over are governing your outcomes.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 04:44 PM   #262
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Of course there are exceptions. I should have said for 95% of people I do believe that.
95% of people on Earth, or people in your same socio-economic group?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 08:14 PM   #263
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We all know he meant people in gaza.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 08:21 PM   #264
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

MoneyGuy, that is probably the single most ignorant thing I've ever read.

Unreal.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 08:25 PM   #265
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

Unreal.
I think when we were talking about good Chinese food places in calgary and he came along and mentioned a great "local" Chinese restaurant but was talking about a local restaurant in a small town outside edmonton was worse.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 09:01 PM   #266
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:

Unreal.
It’s because people who do well want others to believe that they had more to do with the doing well than just luck.

But it ignores so many life events that led to the outcome, which was luck. Moneyguy, think about how much in your life went right, even before you were just 5 years old let alone the millions of events after that. Think about all the things that led you to where you are, not just the 5 you prefer because it makes you feel good about yourself.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 09:58 PM   #267
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So which one of you Calgarians won the $66,000,000.00 lottery? Did you buy 59,999,999 tickets or were you just lucky?
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 08:37 AM   #268
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Unreal.
Sounds like someone needs to pull at the boot straps just a little harder......

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 09:15 AM   #269
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So does that mean bad luck is only because of your own neglect to prepare and not grabbing an opportunity? Seems a little bootstrappy to me. Might be true of some situations, but I don't think it can be defined like that. Good for a poster quote though.

The reality is there is no such thing as luck, it's all randomness. Sometimes the randomness falls your way, sometimes it hits you over the head and gives you a concussion.
The way I've discussed with others is that there is no good or bad luck. It is just luck. I'd say luck is ending up with the unlikely statistical outcome.

Good and bad are determined by many purely based on desired outcome. However, I've seen certain people who always have "luck". I've been telling them there is no good or bad luck. Just luck. This person is very "lucky".

But from a mathematical point of view, I've also told others that I consider this person that I'd consider them a high variance individual. Most of us if told to do a repeatable action 1000 times will probably have nearly 990 or more same outcomes and maybe 10 varied outcomes due to habits and honing our ability to end up the same outcomes each time (ie: Skill, muscle memory etc.). This person on the other hand... I don't understand how their brain works. Do a repeatable action 1000 times and anywhere between 50-250 of them might be varied outcomes.

I'm saying something repeatable like, washing dishes AND putting dishes back into the drawer. Everything has its place. Most of us might only rarely break a dish on a bad day once in a blue moon type of thing and everything typically has its specific place 99% of the time. This high variance individual on the other hand breaks dishes much more frequently, dishes go missing because they aren't placed back in the same place, their mind resets so cutlery is facing different positions and mixed together... stuff like that.

I swear high variance individuals are the type of people who perceive the world completely differently. It's almost as if they have a form of amnesia when it comes to repeated requests. They don't ever seem to do certain basic tasks efficiently and effectively, but I don't think I've ever seen them truly get stalled or as slowed down as others do on a monumental task either. It's kinda interesting and bizarre going to the home of someone who has this mindset and seeing certain things constantly being in completely different locations of the house. Like tissues, remote controls, drinks, cell phone etc. in all sorts of random places like the living room, kitchen and bathroom. I think there's a certain level of "air headedness" that is associated with high variance individuals, but not all pure air heads are high variance.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 06-20-2024, 10:37 AM   #270
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hey, I'm thinking of getting a hotel room by the Saddledome for Friday night so my friends and I can party before the Snoop concert. Aside from the Palliser ($550 for a suite room), are there any other nice hotels close by with suites that are priced a little better?

Alternatively, if somebody has a condo around there maybe we could just use that and you could make yourself scarce for a few hours (we don't like strangers).
Old 06-20-2024, 10:48 AM   #271
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hey, I'm thinking of getting a hotel room by the Saddledome for Friday night so my friends and I can party before the Snoop concert. Aside from the Palliser ($550 for a suite room), are there any other nice hotels close by with suites that are priced a little better?

Alternatively, if somebody has a condo around there maybe we could just use that and you could make yourself scarce for a few hours (we don't like strangers).
I do hope I run into your there and we’re both in fine shape for this! I’ve looked at the set lists for other shows and this looks like it’s going to be so good!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 10:51 AM   #272
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I do hope I run into your there and we’re both in fine shape for this! I’ve looked at the set lists for other shows and this looks like it’s going to be so good!
I'll have my eye out for ya! My friends are talking about starting at 5pm and it has me scared. 'tis going to be a long and messy evening haha.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2024, 11:25 AM   #273
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Air BnB?

Last year, we had a stag party for a buddy and we bar hopped down 17th. The Air BnB was about a 3-5 minute walk from the Dome. I think we had 8-9 people pre-game before bar hopping and sober up for a few hours and 4-5 sleep there. I think whoever booked did tell the host that we would have extra people there prior to bar hopping, but no more than the allotted amount for sleeping, plus we'd do any pre-cleaning they requested and the host was cool with it.

T'was also a Friday night for us also. So I remember Saturday morning we had to groggily arrange rides/ubers to pick up vehicles and/or pay for two hour parking starting at whenever it started etc. to avoid being ticketed.

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/10847917...3-4b784ae54610

This one is basically close in price at $510 and designed to sleep 6, but it's also kinda overkill. If you're just going to pre-game and maybe 4 people hop over afterwards to sober up a little, then I saw there's options around $300-400.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2024, 05:52 PM   #274
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hotel plans are now off. 18 year old daughter just informed me she's having a party at my house, so imma have to come home after the show to make sure all is well. It'll be interesting to see if Gen Z or Gen X parties harder. Safe money is on X, but we'll see.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2024, 08:03 PM   #275
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
'tis going to be…
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
T'was also a Friday night…
What colour of fedora do you guys usually wear out to a party?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2024, 08:11 PM   #276
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Where is the best place to take a used vehicle for an inspection? I want it to pass inspection.
Old 06-20-2024, 09:20 PM   #277
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Where is the best place to take a used vehicle for an inspection? I want it to pass inspection.
The "random" mechanic you slip a $50 bill to the day before the "inspection"
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 06:32 AM   #278
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
I’ve taken vehicles to Hatt in the SE.

He is good and I’ve found him reasonable.

Seems honest in my dealings, so that might be a knock against what you are looking for ……

The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2024, 06:36 AM   #279
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hotel plans are now off. 18 year old daughter just informed me she's having a party at my house, so imma have to come home after the show to make sure all is well. It'll be interesting to see if Gen Z or Gen X parties harder. Safe money is on X, but we'll see.
I know the answer

2 summers ago my buddy and I rolled up on the party his daughter was through in his backyard. He and I have been buddies since Jr High and now our daughters are best friends.

After a shotgunning competition (he placed first and I placed 2nd) and some puking from the 18/19 yr olds there was no interest in beer pong.

We lit a fire and kicked our feet up for a job well done

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2024, 08:20 AM   #280
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
So which one of you Calgarians won the $66,000,000.00 lottery? Did you buy 59,999,999 tickets or were you just lucky?
I'll have my assistants assistant post my edited reply shortly...