Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #261
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^Good example, and that has been my experience. With big items and/or expensive brand names(it helps if its made in Germany, Japan) you just have to wait for the real buyer that knows value. The thing is the buyer still saved a whole pile of money anyway so its a win/win.

The other day, i got an offer for something, "I don't think I'll use it but I will offer you....". Pure entertainment.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 09-08-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #262
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
You know what else people have no idea about selling privately on kijiji? Pianos. Holy smokes a lot of people have no idea how worthless their pianos are.
Pianos are a weird situation. We got ours because my brother in law moved into an apartment and the previous tenants literally couldnt be bothered to take it with them and the landlord wouldnt do anything about it.

"Its your problem now."

So, since my daughter was taking piano lessons he told us to come take it. $250 to some piano movers and voila! Free piano!

It played like crap so we had a guy come in and tune it and he told us that even though it was ancient and in rough shape it was still worth ~$2K.

So yeah, you just need to find someone who knows what they're talking about and not people....well...exactly like me who dont know anything and who dont want to pay anything.

Granted that worked rather well in my favour.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #263
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
^Good example, and that has been my experience. With big items and/or expensive brand names(it helps if its made in Germany, Japan) you just have to wait for the real buyer that knows value. The thing is the buyer still saved a whole pile of money anyway so its a win/win.

The other day, i got an offer for something, "I don't think I'll use it but I will offer you....". Pure entertainment.
Oh yeah, you reminded me of my biggest kijiji gear grinder. The old "Here's how little I need your item" "Let me describe the project I'm working on and how I need to budget" and therefore they can't offer you very much.

Screw off, I don't care what you're using it for or how little you need it. I'm not selling it to you for $200 instead of someone else for $250 because I'm now emotionally invested in what you need it for and how much you've allocated for it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #264
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in the market for a baby grand piano, so if anyone wants to give it to me for free I'll pay for delivery...
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2016, 02:52 PM   #265
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I'm in the market for a baby grand piano, so if anyone wants to give it to me for free I'll pay for delivery...
Well ooh lah dee dah Mr. Rich Man! Baby Grand Piano? Why dont you start small with an upright? But oh no, that goes against your high-flying, devil-may-care, playboy lifestyle!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2016, 05:25 PM   #266
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Used headphones? The issue is that its hard to take them back to BB as they will not except returns. So there are probably a lot of tried it once, and then resales. Actually, sometimes the price at BB is better, the "open box" stuff can be really well priced, although they have stopped that now.

No one owes you a deal on Kijiji, sellers can wait just as much as buyers can(unless its an event ticket). I once had an item listed for 8 months. I actually raised the price and it sold.
They don't owe me anything, but if they ever want to sell their item, they're going to need to realize their price is ridiculous. And I'd prefer they do that while I'm still in the market....
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:32 PM   #267
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well ooh lah dee dah Mr. Rich Man! Baby Grand Piano? Why dont you start small with an upright? But oh no, that goes against your high-flying, devil-may-care, playboy lifestyle!
I'm only in the market for a baby grand if it's free. I have an old upright that I'm happy to give away for free in return.
The Following User Says Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2016, 07:22 PM   #268
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
I don't know. We eventually sold our 10 year old Heintzmann for $2K. It retailed for 7500.00. Just have to be patient. Sooner or later someone comes along who needs a piano for their child prodigy. But, yeah, we had it for sale for a year probably and we passed on a lot of offers significantly lower than $2K.
Well for one thing, it sounds like you know something about pianos. So that right there puts you in a different group than many on kijiji. So many "my grandma's old piano that hasn't been played or tuned in 20 years!! Really nice looking though. $2500." No details on the make/manufacturer, height, age, etc. Just...
Old 09-08-2016, 07:33 PM   #269
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sounds like a lot of ####ty buyers complaining.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #270
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Sounds like a lot of ####ty buyers complaining.
Is this referring to me?! I did like a billion hours of piano research before I finally bought one. It was just my observation about lots of piano sellers on kijiji don't know the value of what they're selling with their pianos (in lots of cases the value is "please come take this off my hands").

There's piano blue books and whatnot that people can use, even. Crazy.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:05 PM   #271
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, if you're looking for your first piano, get one for free, and just look inside to make sure the soundboard isn't cracked. A tuner should be able to get it to a decent level for you over a bit of time. It's not like you're looking for a concert piano.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:10 PM   #272
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just wanted Old MacDonald to sound really exceptional when I was hearing it 85 times a week.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:16 PM   #273
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have four kids in music lessons this year, all on four different substandard instruments. I'm not looking forward to daily practice sessions.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:33 AM   #274
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
We have four kids in music lessons this year, all on four different substandard instruments. I'm not looking forward to daily practice sessions.
My neighbors kid started bagpipe lessons last year...

I win....(or lose...I'm not sure yet...)
Old 09-09-2016, 08:44 AM   #275
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Bagpipe lung – a new name for a very old disease

The death of a bagpipe player has revealed a disease-causing fungus lurking in unclean instruments – and musicians are not its only victims

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...ry-old-disease
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2016, 06:59 AM   #276
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

"what's the lowest you'll let it go for?"
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:35 AM   #277
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
"what's the lowest you'll let it go for?"
I do that all the time because there should definitely be some haggling on Kijiji. There are also tons of people who list their price knowing that they will need to go lower.

Honestly, unless if it is something for less than $10, why wouldn't you spend a text/email and try to save some bucks?

Also, the reason why I ask the seller and not give my own offer is because I don't like making the first move and if I do give an offer and the seller accepts, then I am always thinking they could have gone lower and don't feel as good about the transaction.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:16 AM   #278
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I do that all the time because there should definitely be some haggling on Kijiji. There are also tons of people who list their price knowing that they will need to go lower.

Honestly, unless if it is something for less than $10, why wouldn't you spend a text/email and try to save some bucks?

Also, the reason why I ask the seller and not give my own offer is because I don't like making the first move and if I do give an offer and the seller accepts, then I am always thinking they could have gone lower and don't feel as good about the transaction.

I respond to this with a price $10 higher than listed. Seems to get my point across.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2016, 10:58 AM   #279
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just reply with "that's not how haggling works, but feel free to make an offer"
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:58 AM   #280
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
I respond to this with a price $10 higher than listed. Seems to get my point across.
How's that working for you?
pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pope04 For This Useful Post: