Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who's first? Ovechkin to score his 800th goal or any other player to score 600?
Alexander Ovechkin — 34 yrs, 159 days 213 83.53%
Patrick Marleau — 40 yrs, 161 days 4 1.57%
Sidney Crosby — 32 yrs, 200 days 10 3.92%
Steven Stamkos — 30 yrs, 15 days 1 0.39%
John Tavares — 29 yrs, 156 days 1 0.39%
Nikita Kusherov — 26 yrs, 251 days 1 0.39%
David Pasternak — 23 yrs, 335 days 1 0.39%
Connor McDavid — 23 yrs, 41 days 13 5.10%
Leon Draisaitl — 24 yrs, 119 days 2 0.78%
Auston Matthews — 22 yrs, 159 days 9 3.53%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2022, 09:04 AM   #261
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't have a hard time thinking that Ovie is facing a lot of pressure we don't see and his comments may be based in self preservation.

That said, I still think he should get eaten alive for them and it should be made clear to everyone that he is a Putin toady.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:10 AM   #262
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I don't have a hard time thinking that Ovie is facing a lot of pressure we don't see and his comments may be based in self preservation.

That said, I still think he should get eaten alive for them and it should be made clear to everyone that he is a Putin toady.

I agree. It probably tougher for him than any other Russian athlete to take a bold stance. His family, by all accounts, is akin to Russian nobility and are part of the upper crust of Moscow. Putin hand-picked Ovi to be his famous celebrity endorser. Ovi probably was indoctrinated from a young age to not bite the hand that feeds them.

Still, the right thing to do is take a bold stance and declare unequivocal opposition to Putin and all violence. Many people are making sacrifices and so should Ovi.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:19 AM   #263
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Personally, I don't understand how people can be on the fence with Ovechkin (the person). Stories like this make it easy to dislike him. And for those who say "we don't know what it's like for him and his family in Russia", be that as it may, I would imagine a good person would have at least changed his Instagram picture by now.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2022, 10:25 AM   #264
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Ovie seems like a good guy. There's been good stories from him coming through Calgary over the years too.

Just made ties with bad people, his president being one of them.

He probably wants to return home some day, and has family there. It's a tough position to be in when your country's ruler is a ruthless dictator who can enforce just about anything without moral bounds.

He is lacking in courage I would say, and that's the disappointing part, but I don't know if some self preservation here isn't out of bounds when you're so high profile and your country is literally screening people's phones, monitoring what people are saying and cracking down on those that are vocally in opposition.
He doesn't even have the courage to change his instagram profile picture. It's still him with Putin.

https://www.instagram.com/aleksandro...fficial/?hl=en
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:36 AM   #265
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
He doesn't even have the courage to change his instagram profile picture. It's still him with Putin.

https://www.instagram.com/aleksandro...fficial/?hl=en
Exactly. This is a purposeful decision on his part. He's got millions of followers.

No sympathy on my end for what he's getting now.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:00 AM   #266
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^^ I have no doubt Ovechkin’s been taken in by Putin. Though I’m a little put off by his present “I’m not into politics” stance when he was pretty involved in Putin’s campaigns.
Isn't it akin to getting involved with the mob though where the only way out is in a body bag? There's a reason that most Russian players are being silent as they have family in Russia and saying things to appease North American fans could put their family members in jeopardy. It's very complicated and not nearly as simple as North Americans think.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:00 AM   #267
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If anyone wants some context for the 2014 issues (which I don't recall at the time):

https://www.vox.com/2014/8/28/607936...-putin-ukraine

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...140054207.html

Quote:
“I don’t want a war. Ukrainian and Russian people are close people and we have a war right now. That’s it.”

"I don't try to make a statement," Ovechkin told ESPN.com. "Right now, as a Russian, I have lots of friends from Ukraine. I just don't want a war. Nobody wants a war. Especially when people are so close. It's hard to see especially when you live so close to Ukraine. It's hard and it's dangerous. People die."

"We watch the news all the time," Ovechkin said. "It's hard. I have lots of friends up there. The people who live there, they don't want war. They just want to have a good life like all of us."
He was definitely complicit in a propaganda campaign (again, I question the extent to which he was aware of, researched, or critically thought about the issues - as I imagine many athletes don't do when making endorsements, either), but his statements were reasonable.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 11:49 PM   #268
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

OV moves past Jagr today with his 767th goal.

Jagr with his congratulations to OV.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1503916974547611649
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2022, 10:32 AM   #269
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

The real news here is Jagr officially announcing his comeback and chasing Ovechkin in the goal chart.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 12:45 PM   #270
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Classy Jagr you glorious bastard!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:11 PM   #271
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Jagr still looking like a lean, mean machine!!! I still can't believe he played for Calgary and I am still disappointed at how badly his time was handled here with Gully, bagskatting, injuries etc.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:13 PM   #272
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Jagr still looking like a lean, mean machine!!! I still can't believe he played for Calgary and I am still disappointed at how badly his time was handled here with Gully, bagskatting, injuries etc.
Also huge was no preseason... young players like Eichel struggle without preseason.. of course Jagr was going to... that was a big factor also.
Old 03-16-2022, 01:16 PM   #273
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmile04 View Post
Also huge was no preseason... young players like Eichel struggle without preseason.. of course Jagr was going to... that was a big factor also.
He even said he wasn't training in the off season because he didn't think anyone was going to call on him.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:18 PM   #274
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not wanting to derail AOs amazing accomplishment but for those calling for his head about his Putin stance, some new information is coming to light.

Being on this side of the world, Ovechkin now has access to different forms of media that show the other side of the war. His public image may be being controlled out of fear for the safety of his family. Please see: https://www.google.com/amp/s/novacap...ys-safety/amp/

Apologies to the mods if this has been posted already. If this is indeed true, then I feel sorry for Ovi.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:21 PM   #275
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyFlamesFan View Post
Not wanting to derail AOs amazing accomplishment but for those calling for his head about his Putin stance, some new information is coming to light.

Being on this side of the world, Ovechkin now has access to different forms of media that show the other side of the war. His public image may be being controlled out of fear for the safety of his family. Please see: https://www.google.com/amp/s/novacap...ys-safety/amp/

Apologies to the mods if this has been posted already. If this is indeed true, then I feel sorry for Ovi.
Thing is, his family connections got him where he is. And he embraced Putin without concern for his family (I get that he’s just a dumb jock but he still enjoyed the celebrity). I seriously doubt changing a profile pic would actually endanger his family anyway. Even Putin gets a “lie low” change like that.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:22 PM   #276
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again he should have got his family out following the 2014 invasion of Crimea.

And no I'm not buying the "he was too priveliged to know the truth about Putin" line.
Old 04-12-2022, 07:48 PM   #277
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

How? How in a 9 goal debacle does Ovechkin only get 1?

Lars Eller got 2! Lars. Eller.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:16 PM   #278
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
How? How in a 9 goal debacle does Ovechkin only get 1?

Lars Eller got 2! Lars. Eller.
All but two players had points. That’s depth.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 07:10 PM   #279
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ovi's 33 yo season is already tied (w/Jagr and Bobby Hull) for the 2nd oldest guy to score 50 (though his 48g in the 68gp COVID stoppage year should essentially have him outright 2nd).

4 more goals will see him set a new record at age 36 over Johnny Bucyk who managed the feat at age 35.

4 goals would put him at 780 (114 away from Wayne). He's got 118 so far in the last 3 seasons despite playing just 184 games (82x3=246).

(4 more) + 43 +38 +33 would get him to 894.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:07 PM   #280
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyFlamesFan View Post

Russians living in North America and with the wealth and access to information of hockey players have no excuse. It's not like they are Babushka's with only the state media available on their village TV.

Panarin and Zadorov have both stated anti-putin positions and Z has been pro Ukraine at the dome.

Ovechkin's Instagram profile picture is still him posing with Putin and that sends a message.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote