Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2018, 12:20 AM   #261
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

i'm going to chalk that up to a trap game. This team hasn't face real competition together yet with everyone so new, the coach is new, the system is new, and they may have overlooked a team that is expected to be really bad.

Not that it's their fault but maybe you sit some of your stars when the PP is going so poorly. Hopefully, the PP isnt a sign of things to come but it doesn't take Dave Cameron to tell you that it's easy to close in on the guy with the book when everyone is standing still and covered... The team needs to learn how to move without the puck.
ST20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:24 AM   #262
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They shoulda blown out those bums by 5 goals, but good goaltending and a powerplay that looked disorganized cost the Flames the game.

I chalk it up to the game one blahs, or a bad case of the mondays.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:26 AM   #263
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
They shoulda blown out those bums by 5 goals, but good goaltending and a powerplay that looked disorganized cost the Flames the game.

I chalk it up to the game one blahs, or a bad case of the mondays.

But today is Wednesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:27 AM   #264
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
But today is Wednesday.
Can't miss the playoffs game 1. On to Cincinnati.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:28 AM   #265
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, that sucked. All offseason Peters talked about playing fast. Tonight, the Flames played fast like they were stuck in quicksand. Are the Flames tired? Was training camp that tough? They certainly looked like it tonight.

The PP was horrible, a serious momentum killer. The Flames could not enter the offensive zone with possession on the PP.
Motte walked around Stone as if Stone was a statue. I’ve long thought he’s replacement level and he sure looked it during that sequence. I think Stone’ll need to be pretty protected this season. If it’s still possible to get a conditional 6th rounder for him, do it (just my opinion).

I liked the Tkachuk - Backlund - Czarnik line and I also liked Neal on the top line.

I also think Hanifin is awesome. I’m a huge fan.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:29 AM   #266
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST20 View Post
i'm going to chalk that up to a trap game. This team hasn't face real competition together yet with everyone so new, the coach is new, the system is new, and they may have overlooked a team that is expected to be really bad.

Not that it's their fault but maybe you sit some of your stars when the PP is going so poorly. Hopefully, the PP isnt a sign of things to come but it doesn't take Dave Cameron to tell you that it's easy to close in on the guy with the book when everyone is standing still and covered... The team needs to learn how to move without the puck.
I noticed Czarnik being quite active moving around to open up lanes, but yea the PP needs to mix things up and not be predicable, move their feet and puck quickly.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:32 AM   #267
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:47 AM   #268
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I thought the Flames played better than the score. Some bad moments, bad bounces, Markstrom was good, but also a lot of chances and good energy through most of it.

That powerplay though, woof. At powerplays 2-5 we’re just awful. 1 was ok, 6 and 7 were good, but you have to score.

Frolik seemed noticeably bad. Ryan was meh. Lindholm was great. Hanifin was great. Neal got a lot better as the game went on. Brodie seemed a LOT better than last season, and even Bennett had some good jam.

Nice having that crew of RW to mix around when things aren’t clicking. Czarnik and Lindholm improved every line they were on.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 12:49 AM   #269
Darth Tkachuk
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There is literally nothing positive that can be taken from that game. What an utter disaster. They should be embarrassed; I know I am.
Darth Tkachuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:50 AM   #270
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Well, that sucked. All offseason Peters talked about playing fast. Tonight, the Flames played fast like they were stuck in quicksand. Are the Flames tired? Was training camp that tough? They certainly looked like it tonight. .
Clearly the Flames were all up last night playing fortnite, that’s the only explanation.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:51 AM   #271
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I love that the Flames recorded all the players celebrating specifically for these:

AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 12:57 AM   #272
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How is Lindholm -4 after one game?
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:59 AM   #273
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
He made so key saves after the Flames got unorganized losing Hamonic in the first. But which goals did he look bad on? Petterson was top shelf having all day to walk-in.

Second has a shot blocked in front of him leading to a guy wide open on the side.

3rd was 3 guys out of the zone before the puck, left 2 on 0 against him when it didn’t clear.

A speed Move by Virtanen against a tired Gio where maybe he could’ve saved that.

So that’s 1 of 4 thst he could’ve done better on. Nowhere near a talking point.

I think the Flames didn’t have to play any bit better, and just got 1/3 of the bounces Vancouver got and it would’ve been 6-4 Flames. Canucks were over matched in most of the second and 3/4 of the third and hung on for dear life.
The first one looked stoppable. I thought he challenged the shooter with his glove and got beat, instead of staying square. On the second goal, he commits to the shooter in front, goes down while the canuck passes to open to the player on the open side. He has no way to get to that side because he wasn't following the puck, instead commits and is facing the wrong way. Pretty sure that 3 save was a rebound off smith straight to the Canuck player who then passes it for a quick tap in? I am probably being a bit critical, I just think when smith is on his game he makes those saves.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:04 AM   #274
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith: good enough to win with but not to be a game changer. Saves what he should but not more.
Today's Smith will let us compete but he needs to be better for us to really succeed.

Speed: We looked like the slowest team in the league. Defence getting beat many times and Vancouver has almost all odd man rushes.

Slapshots: Gio took a slaapshot off the glass late in the game and I think it was the only one. With 7 PPs and no slap shots from the point, that struck me as a tactical decision. Strange systematic decision.

PP: Horrible as mentioned. No big shots from the point contributed to a predictable operation in my opinion. Same old drop to Johnny for gaining the zone is also too predictable.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:15 AM   #275
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

The drop pass entry needs to die. It's lame.

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saXon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 01:17 AM   #276
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ghost of Dave Cameron. Exorcism required
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:28 AM   #277
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Slapshots: Gio took a slaapshot off the glass late in the game and I think it was the only one. With 7 PPs and no slap shots from the point, that struck me as a tactical decision. Strange systematic decision.
We had 12, Gio himself had 3 or 4 of those.

Not sure what you mean. Valimaki, Neal, Brodie, lots of guys taking slap shots. You’re too deep down the hole, man!
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 01:30 AM   #278
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched it.

Well up to it going 0-3. Arranged to go in late so I could watch this.

Brouwer was not the problem.

This team, for decades, save for a couple of seasons is so ####ing difficult to support.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:43 AM   #279
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames may as well save us all the agony and just forfeit the season opener. Year after year no matter how ####ty the team they're playing is they show up unprepared and embarrass themselves.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:46 AM   #280
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Canucks 5 Flames 2. Oh no! We suck again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I don't know what is more ridiculous. After one game out of 82 saying it is over and the results will be the same or the oilers and their preseason banners.

One game. Vancouver worked their ares off and played a good game. Bottom line the longer you let a team like that stick around the more confidence they get. Lots to work on going forward, but I hope the sky doesn't fall every loss.

If there wasn’t such an extensive history of witnessing the same lame start setting the tone of the mess to follow, I’d agree with you.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote