Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 02:29 PM   #261
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

wonder if there would be any takers for Fleury at full salary plus a (1st round) pick, for futures, similar to the Marc Staal trade
Old 10-06-2020, 02:30 PM   #262
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
The whole point for LV is not to eat any salary themselves...
The whole point of my idea was to get a goalie without paying through the nose to get him, AND get some added perks...
Old 10-06-2020, 02:30 PM   #263
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree that flames need to figure out who they want in goal, not who the best bargain is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 02:30 PM   #264
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
So tell me again how it wasn't Bennett carrying the play on that line? Or that he was only better away from Jankowski because of Backlund.

Any way you slice it Jankowski is terrible away from Bennett, and Bennett keeps on ticking just fine away from Jankowski.
Does it really matter, it's unlikely Jankowski will be back

Also, why are some of you so obsessed with analytics determining "carrying the play"? Jankowski played less, with lesser linemates, no PP time and produced at the same rate. I'm not saying Jankowski carried Bennett by any means, I'm just saying it's stupid to give 1 guy credit for "carrying" someone when the other did just as much. You do know it is possible for two players just to play together and not have anyone "carried"
Old 10-06-2020, 02:31 PM   #265
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Yes this is what is being discussed in that tweet.

Vegas: dumps MAF 100%
Acquiring team: gets MAF at 50%
3rd team: retains 50% of MAF salary and cap hit + gets a 2nd round pick for their troubles

There might be an additional piece going to Vegas and/or the acquiring team.

Vegas is only offering a 2nd round pick for to compensate the 3rd team for losing $7mil in cash, and $3.5 mil in dead cap space for 2 seasons

The potential 3rd teams are saying no we want a 1st and 2nd for retaining Fleury.
Right, so if the Flames wanted to cut out the middleman, they would do so by taking Fleury without salary retention.

I don't know that the Flames should do that, even for Vegas' 1st and 2nd round draft picks.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:32 PM   #266
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
Right, so if the Flames wanted to cut out the middleman, they would do so by taking Fleury without salary retention.

I don't know that the Flames should do that, even for Vegas' 1st and 2nd round draft picks.
If Vegas tossed us their 1st and Fleury at full cap, I work probably be fine with the move.

Something for now, and something for the future - and yeah, it's an expensive two years but MAF is a pretty cool guy who I could get behind cheering for...even if he kinda sucked. Which hey, our goalies kinda sucking is nothing new...but at least I'd like this one, unlike Smith and Elliott.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 02:34 PM   #267
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah but no one is taking Fleury without salary retention, which is why Vegas needs a 3rd team.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:34 PM   #268
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

It’s an interesting dilemma, though.

Markström at $6M over 5 years, or

Fleury + 1st + 2nd at $7m for 2 years (hypothetically)

Those other assets plus the bridging to the goalie of the future (Wolf) in 2 years peaks my curiosity if I’m Tre
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 02:36 PM   #269
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Yeah but no one is taking Fleury without salary retention, which is why Vegas needs a 3rd team.
I don't think it works for the Flames, or for any other team looking to contend in the next two years, but I could see it work for a rebuilding team that could use a stopgap in goal for a couple of years (while a goalie prospect develops or something). For example, if Ottawa's owner wasn't so cheap, it would make sense for them.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:36 PM   #270
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally believe the numbers for Markstrom are going to be closer to $7M over 6-7 years based on the amount of teams that will be interested and if that's the case, if Vegas is willing to pay that much to take on Fleury i'm all for it for 2 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 02:41 PM   #271
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
I personally believe the numbers for Markstrom are going to be closer to $7M over 6-7 years based on the amount of teams that will be interested and if that's the case, if Vegas is willing to pay that much to take on Fleury i'm all for it for 2 years.
I think 6x6 will get Markstrom signed and the only team that may offer more money is Detroit and he won’t want to go there.

If he gets to free agency I like Calgary’s chances because I think they will go longer term and higher salary than Vancouver and more trade protection with no goalie in the system anywhere near ready to battle for his spot which would be undisputed number 1
Old 10-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #272
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think it works for the Flames, or for any other team looking to contend in the next two years, but I could see it work for a rebuilding team that could use a stopgap in goal for a couple of years (while a goalie prospect develops or something). For example, if Ottawa's owner wasn't so cheap, it would make sense for them.
The problem is without gate revenue, rebuilding teams cannot afford to pay Fleury 14m over the next 2 years
Old 10-06-2020, 02:44 PM   #273
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Does it really matter, it's unlikely Jankowski will be back

Also, why are some of you so obsessed with analytics determining "carrying the play"? Jankowski played less, with lesser linemates, no PP time and produced at the same rate. I'm not saying Jankowski carried Bennett by any means, I'm just saying it's stupid to give 1 guy credit for "carrying" someone when the other did just as much. You do know it is possible for two players just to play together and not have anyone "carried"
Ok. I take it back. you are not a Derek Ryan burner account.

CLearly you are Mark Jankowski's younger brother.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:48 PM   #274
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think 6x6 will get Markstrom signed and the only team that may offer more money is Detroit and he won’t want to go there.
Colorado can offer more.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-06-2020, 02:49 PM   #275
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Colorado can offer more.
I don’t think they will I see them doing a stop gap to keep long term flexibility open
Old 10-06-2020, 02:50 PM   #276
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Colorado can offer more.
Adrian Dater doesn’t believe the Avs will be in on any of the big UFAs due to their own contracts they have to manage going forward. Also, Joe Sakic has said he has his goalies already.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:53 PM   #277
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Adrian Dater doesn’t believe the Avs will be in on any of the big UFAs due to their own contracts they have to manage going forward. Also, Joe Sakic has said he has his goalies already.
Oh well because a GM said something, that must be it then.

Colorado was let down by goaltending this year. Markstrom fixes that. They have space and a lot of flexibility even if they sign Markstrom to 6-7 million dollar deal.

If he isn't a Canucks, he's an Av.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-06-2020, 02:54 PM   #278
Radically Red
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder if all this talk of giving him away spurs Fleury on to have a great year to stick it to Vegas.. and if so is it worth taking a flyer on it?
Old 10-06-2020, 02:54 PM   #279
Owen15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Colorado can offer more.
Isn’t that because they haven’t overpaid for players?

In three years they will need a lot of space. I’d assume MacKinnon gets something closer to market value.

I’d think they would be more into Kuemper or MAF (50%) as a short term solution.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:54 PM   #280
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Colorado is signing Markstrom then what goalie are they trading.

If it's Grubauer then I'd be all over that. He's had issues staying healthy but he's been great when healthy, like one of the best goalies in the league.

Over the last 3 seasons he's 4th in the league at Goals Saved Above Average at 5v5 and second when you normalize for per start.

Only 28 years hold.

Hell I'd let Colorado sign Markstrom and then take Grubauer off their hands if they need to clear cap for sure. That would be better than signing Markstrom IMO.

Quote:
Oh well because a GM said something, that must be it then.

Colorado was let down by goaltending this year. Markstrom fixes that. They have space and a lot of flexibility even if they sign Markstrom to 6-7 million dollar deal.

If he isn't a Canucks, he's an Av.
Only because both Francouz and Grubauer got injured.

In the regular season Colorado had the 4th best save percentage in the league at .913.

Markstrom got hurt in the playoffs too...guess he "let the Canucks down" too

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-06-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Closed Thread