Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2018, 02:14 PM   #261
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not only that but Dell is not a clear cut #1. No more half measures, the Flames need to get a quality #1 goaltender and need them locked down long term.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #262
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
This is the truth. Why would any team trade one of their goalies in the middle of the season. Odds are Smith, and Rittich will be the combo all season long. Hopefully one of them has 40 good games in them.
Teams with a three headed monster. Rebuilding teams with an established goalie who won't be around for the end product because he's expensive and/or doesn't fit the window.

The choice Calgary has is to run with the present duo, exchange Smith for a similar aged goalie who you hope is an upgrade, but will mark the place while Gillies and/or Parsons develop, or go whole hog for a star like Bob.

If it's plan B, maybe Jimmy Howard? I don't see the Wings as a PO team and Howard is on an expiring contract I think. If it's the latter you need to see where Columbus sits in the standings further on down the season, what Bob is going to demand, what Columbus will ask for and what room can be made in Calgary's budget.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:21 PM   #263
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
No thanks.

Time to stop banking on 30/near-30 year old goalies who have never proven to be anything but what they already are.

If you're going after an unproven/high quality prospect goalie, he has to be young. Otherwise, you go for the surest thing you can. No more half measures. Make the position a strength for the team going forward.

Pay the price, go get Bobrovsky.
This is well and good, but I am of the opinion that the Flames need an in season solution. In this context Bobrovsky will not work becuase CBJ will want to sign Bobrovsky and wouldn't trade him until they were absolutely sure he would walk.

The only way that a trade will happen is if a team has two quality goalies, and an area they need to improve upon. So the Flames need to target teams with poor defence or depth scoring but with good goalies. Otherwise no deal would happen.

I admit SJ and Dell are a poor example of a team with needs, but teams are not going to trade a number one starter one month into the season.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #264
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would pay the price for bobrovsky if we can get him extended before the trade,

Having no russian speakers on the team likely makes it more difficult to convince him to sign long term with us.

My feeling is taht bobrovsky would refuse to sign anywhere outside of west coast or new york.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #265
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Realistically, how many teams can Bobrovsky walk onto and legitimately become a contender?
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #266
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cory Schneider is another option. New jersey is a team with roster holes and might look to add.
It is obvious that Kinkaid is NHL ready, Kinkaid is an RFA and will likely get a big pay raise. The devils wont want to pay two goalies a combined 10 mil plus next season. So it is possible that one of them will be on the move.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #267
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Cory Schneider is another option. New jersey is a team with roster holes and might look to add.
It is obvious that Kinkaid is NHL ready, Kinkaid is an RFA and will likely get a big pay raise. The devils wont want to pay two goalies a combined 10 mil plus next season. So it is possible that one of them will be on the move.
As bad as smith is, I don't think schneider is a very big upgrade. And the devils won't be moving kincaid.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #268
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
As bad as smith is, I don't think schneider is a very big upgrade. And the devils won't be moving kincaid.
To be clear, I am just trying to find plausible targets. At this point in the season the Flames will be hard pressed to find any replacement that doesn't have warts.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #269
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Realistically, how many teams can Bobrovsky walk onto and legitimately become a contender?
Any team that has Sergei Bobrovsky as their starter is at least as much a contender as every iteration of the Kipper era Flames.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #270
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Unless a sweet deal comes out of nowhere I still think transitioning to Gillies/Rittich/Parsons is more the plan medium and long term

Hopefully we see Rittich get some starts.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 11-02-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 02:41 PM   #271
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Unless a sweet deal comes out of nowhere I still think transitioning to Gillies/Rittich/Parsons is more the plan.

Hopefully we see Rittich get some starts.
I would love nothing more than to have Rittich take the starters net and never let go for the next decade...

Here is hoping.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #272
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Big NO to trading a first round pick for a goalie.

Goalies are so unpredictable.

I'm also very wary on whether Bobrosky can handle a high pressure Canadian market. He melted down in Philly and has never had much playoff success.

I'm not sure what the options are, as there doesn't look to be a whole lot. I'd probably give Rittich more starts to see if he can handle it. His struggles last year when Smith went down could just be him dealing with the pressure of being the man. Maybe he's learned from it. Maybe he might be able to handle it better now with a veteran goalie backing him up.

If Smith continues to falter, I'd try a cheap lotto ticket on a Jimmy Howard, Peter Mrazek or Robin Lehner.

If Schneider can regain his form, I would consider dealing a Jankowski for him.
This is exactly how I feel.

I say no to trading a 1st for a goalie regardless of Vezina or not. You look at the history of Stanley cup champs and it's mostly home grown goalies, free agents or trades including later round picks.

Braden Holtby
Matt Murray
Corey Crawford
MA Fleury
Jonathan Quick
Tim Thomas
Antti Niemi
Cam Ward
etc etc

We might not win with Mike Smith but like the above poster said, take a chance on someone like a Jimmy Howard or Mrazek and I'm all for it. Won't cost us the farm and if we can't win with a "solid" goalie then we're not good enough of a team.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:46 PM   #273
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Schneider is basically a Smith with 3 extra years. Not a good idea.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:47 PM   #274
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
SN just posted an proposition looking at Bob coming to Calgary:
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...gei-bobrovsky/
To Calgary: Sergei Bobrovsky
To Columbus: Mike Smith, 2019 first-round pick, Jon Gillies or Tyler Parsons
I hate seeing a 2019 1st AND one of our goalie hopefuls going the other way, but Bob here would be absolutely unreal. I think if you can do anything that keeps this current roster together and upgrades Smith you're pretty tempted to do it.

Thoughts?
Yuck. As great as Bobrovsky is, that is not a price I would entertain simply because he is a UFA.

Maybe if there was a very reasonable contract extension for Bob thrown in there.

Calgary
Smith
Janko
2018 Conditional 1st (If Calgary makes the Western Conference Finals)/ 2018 2nd
2020 2nd

Columbus
Bobrovsky - Signed to a 4 year/$7 mil
Old 11-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #275
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
Yuck. As great as Bobrovsky is, that is not a price I would entertain simply because he is a UFA.

Maybe if there was a very reasonable contract extension for Bob thrown in there.

Calgary
Smith
Janko
2018 Conditional 1st (If Calgary makes the Western Conference Finals)/ 2018 2nd
2020 2nd

Columbus
Bobrovsky - Signed to a 4 year/$7 mil
That's more or less a pay but for Bob. Bob's cap hit is $7.4 right now (though he front ended a bit and is making $6.2 this year).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #276
Mitt31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Rittich is playing well and fighting every game he starts for this team. Making great saves, being poised in the net and being cool as a cucumber (Pickle)

I'd say lets not make any hasty decisions on a trade yet and see how he makes out as the starter and smith the backup. Rittich is learning how to play to puck more and more off smith and i think that would be a great value for his game in the future.

And with less games, Smith might actually find himself again.

I am not sold on selling the farm yet to get another goalie when the team is actually playing well with the players they have in the locker room.

Let Rittich play a 2-1 ratio of games and see if both goalies respond. Smith stinks go 3-1 or 4-1 and have smith watch Rittich stop pucks more often.

If they both fail, then we are at this point of trading for a goalie anyways....

Lets keep the locker intact and modify the starter rotation.

"I'll have to photocopy that for my kids.
One day, I'll be trying to talk hockey and they'll be saying, 'The game has passed you by, dad.' I'll be able to say, 'Ovechkin's on it, and he's still lighting it up.' " - Jarome Iginla
Mitt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mitt31 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 03:01 PM   #277
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Smith is done. Has not looked nhl quality since the injury last season. Rittich should be starting for us.
If we can get mrazek I would take him
Monahammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:07 PM   #278
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I cant see why they couldnt pry Schneider or Bobrovsky from their respective teams with a couple assets. If theyre being used sparingly while making decent coin those GMs should be listening.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #279
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I liked Smith, but if feels like his body has jumped the shark. It would be a shame to waste a year without a quality goalie. No evidence that Rittich is ready to take on a full work load.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #280
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I don't know anymore about Smith. I am willing to go to game 25 before I can come to an opinion on if he is done but man 2 of those goals were bad last night.

And I am of the opinion that Sigalet is a part of the problem and not a part of the solution. Goaltending hasn't been consistent or felt right since his tenure began.

Whatever happens, we are now pinning our hopes on a veteran goalie who looks like the wall is coming up fast and a goalie who has looked good in limited starts but looked bad in a consecutive run.

This team can be lethal if we get goaltending. Whether it be from Smith or Rittich or someone else, it needs to be sorted out ASAP.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote