Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #261
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Now that is in the right price range!! $1500 delivered to my door...hard to beat that for a full carbon/105 bike...get it pro fit here. Time to have a look at the bike + reviews!

Edit: bike cant be shipped to Canada, may need to get it shipped to a buddy if I like what I see.
Hmm... didn't realize that one didn't ship up here. Sorry about that.

Here's a cheaper alternative that I've had my eye on for a while.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #262
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll check that one out as well, thanks Flylock Shox. Will hit up Bow Cycle this weekend for their big sale.

For the experienced riders...how important are the shorts / jersey / shoes?? Is it worth spending $150 on a good pair of shorts, $100 on a proper riding jersey vs normal cotton/workout shirt, $300 on shoes??
Old 03-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #263
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'll check that one out as well, thanks Flylock Shox. Will hit up Bow Cycle this weekend for their big sale.

For the experienced riders...how important are the shorts / jersey / shoes?? Is it worth spending $150 on a good pair of shorts, $100 on a proper riding jersey vs normal cotton/workout shirt, $300 on shoes??
Depends on how much riding you do. If you are riding a lot then yes. Especially good shorts with a good chamois. If you are just doing hour long rides here and there, then save some cash to start and look for cheaper shorts. For myself, I like the pro chamois. They're thinner and dont bunch up. However,my junk is used to a bike saddle.

Jerseys wick moisture. Cotton will make your nipples raw. The pockets on jerseys carry gels, your phone, vest, arm warmers, if you start with them and shed them if it heats up, etc.

Shoes...just make sure to get what fits.

For shorts and jerseys, look for sales. Shoes are tougher because you need what fits you. I have a thinner foot, so I like Sidi's.

A good site is www.bonktown.com and www.chainlove.com They post sale items for even greater discounts for short periods, so you have to keep checking. They're run by www.realcyclist.com, www.hucknroll.com and www.backcountry.com.

Last edited by bossy22; 03-27-2012 at 08:21 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #264
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Check out www.voler.com. They make decent clothing for a reasonable price. They also have a sale section with some good prices on jerseys and shorts. I have a couple of their items and they've worked great.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #265
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone riding in the Ride the Road Tour on June 3?

As someone who generally doesn't like riding on the road, I like the group's proposal to install bike lanes on 5th and 6th ave downtown. Plus I'm available that day . . .
Old 03-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #266
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If you're riding for any length of time, shorts are essential. I don't know if you need to spend $150 on them. 80 gets you decent pairs. Jerseys are nice, but you don't need them. Shoes will change the way you ride. You don't need to spend $300 on a pair, 100 will get you started and you can go up from there.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #267
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
Anyone care to help me choose a bike? This will be my first bike since I was around 13 and rode BMX.

I started looking thinking $500 would be my budget, but after looking around at quite a few shops yesterday I think I may have to increase my budget a little.

Going around to quite a few shops yesterday, I believe I narrowed my selection down to 3 or 4, but am still open to suggestions.

http://shop.tandl.com/bike/specialized-roll-1-2012/ ($710)
http://road.cc/content/review/38800-kona-paddy-wagon ($750)
http://www.linusbike.com/models/gaston-1/ ($600)
http://www.linusbike.com/models/gaston-3/ ($750)
(don't pay attention to any of the colours on the sites linked)

Essentially I want something I can ride to and from work (all downtown). Along the pathways around town, etc.
Nothing too crazy at this time. Maybe if I like commuting, I will continue during the winter if I can.
did you ride all of them? Take them for a test ride. How long is your commute? Are you sure a singlespeed is the way you want to go? If you haven't ridden a lot lately and you have some hills to deal with, singlespeeds might be a bit of a nightmare. Excellent in that they're low maintenance though.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #268
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
That's a skewer, though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but does that not mean that every time I want to pop my bike on the trainer, I have to swap out the skewer? Or do I just use that skewer all the time, road or trainer? Would this affect performance at all on the road? Haha, I feel like such a noob on this
Old 03-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #269
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's no reason you couldn't use that skewer on the road.

For me, I've got one skewer I use on my trainer over the winter and my normal one I'll put back in once the roads clear up as I don't anticipate using my trainer much once it's nice out. The only reason I bother changing it is becasue the normal one is lighter (not that that makes much of a difference), and it matches my bike (no sense having an ugly chunk of stainless when you can have fancy painted aluminum).
Old 03-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #270
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Opinions on Jensen USA and these current deals?

http://www.jensonusa.com/Road-Bikes/...gen-30-Bike-11

http://www.jensonusa.com/Road-Bikes/...n-Road-Bike-11

http://www.jensonusa.com/Road-Bikes/...4-Road-Bike-11

http://www.jensonusa.com/Road-Bikes/...l-Road-Bike-11

Is the difference between Tiagra and 105 that big of a deal?

Last edited by Coys1882; 03-30-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #271
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Personal opinion, but I wouldnt get tiagra. It's 9 speed vs 10 speed which is 105 and above. This would impact any future drivetrain upgrades you may want to do if you get into road biking.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #272
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don't know much about Jensen but I can give you my two nickles on the bikes.

Rocky Mountain: You get what you pay for, and at $649 that isn't much. Not sure about this bike, but their frames tend to be heavier, and Tiagra are okay if you don't intend on doing a ton of riding. I would put this bike firmly in the commuter category, if that's what you're looking for, great, but if you want something to go on long rides for some time, you probalby won't like this bike. Plus, tripple cranksets are for girls.

Speedrom: Pretty heavy for a Carbon bike, but a decent set of components.

Diamondback: Same weight ast he Speedrom bike, and a better groupset for less money. Probably a better deal overall than the Speedrom

Look: Lighter than the other two, this is more what the Speedrom should weigh. I have Sram Rival on my road bike and I quite like it. Better than 105, and arguably as good as the Ultegra.

Not sure about the wheels on any of them, that could be quite the difference price wise, but even if the Speedrom has way superior wheels (which at this price range, the difference won't be that much), I'd rather spend the money on good components.

Depending on your budget, I'd say your best bets are the Diamondback or the Look.

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 03-30-2012 at 03:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #273
core_upt
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
They won't ship the Rocky Mountain to Canada, FYI.
But thanks for the link - think I'm going to pick up a Marin - they have some great deals on!
Old 03-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #274
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by core_upt View Post
They won't ship the Rocky Mountain to Canada, FYI.
But thanks for the link - think I'm going to pick up a Marin - they have some great deals on!
This one?
http://www.jensonusa.com/Marin/Marin-Argenta-Road-Bike-
Old 03-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #275
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Don't know much about Jensen but I can give you my two nickles on the bikes.

Rocky Mountain: You get what you pay for, and at $649 that isn't much. Not sure about this bike, but their frames tend to be heavier, and Tiagra are okay if you don't intend on doing a ton of riding. I would put this bike firmly in the commuter category, if that's what you're looking for, great, but if you want something to go on long rides for some time, you probalby won't like this bike. Plus, tripple cranksets are for girls.

Speedrom: Pretty heavy for a Carbon bike, but a decent set of components.

Diamondback: Same weight ast he Speedrom bike, and a better groupset for less money. Probably a better deal overall than the Speedrom

Look: Lighter than the other two, this is more what the Speedrom should weigh. I have Sram Rival on my road bike and I quite like it. Better than 105, and arguably as good as the Ultegra.

Not sure about the wheels on any of them, that could be quite the difference price wise, but even if the Speedrom has way superior wheels (which at this price range, the difference won't be that much), I'd rather spend the money on good components.

Depending on your budget, I'd say your best bets are the Diamondback or the Look.

My buddy bought the look last week. Jensonusa is good. Ued them for parts along with a couple others.

I agree with the rival as well. I put that on my wife's cross bike. I quite like it. Lighter than 105. Shifts nice and crisp.

For wheels. I had the RS10. Not very good. The mavic Aksium is a better wheel but still entry level.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #276
core_upt
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
That's the one. I've wanted a roadie for a while, and like the idea that it's a little less aggressive set-up, which should do well as a mid-distance weekender but also an occasional commuter.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #277
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone head down to Bow Cycle for there big sale this weekend??
Old 03-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #278
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I would if I could, looks like some great deals, expect it to be packed with people though.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #279
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
got the last Garmin Edge 500 today. Can't wait to use it tomorrow!
Old 03-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #280
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
got the last Garmin Edge 500 today. Can't wait to use it tomorrow!
Nice. I have had the Edge 305 for a few years now. I live it.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread