Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2015, 09:03 PM   #261
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Given how politically correct things have become I would have been surprised if the didn't make the lead a woman. Now prepare yourself for the onslaught telling you what a bad person you are.

BTW I thought Daisy Ridley did a find job but I really disliked how they made her excel at everything straight away I like to see characters that struggle and then then succeed through perseverance.

Quote:
And the most important thing is they had massive hurdles to overcome and were at the brink of failure many times, who wants to see a character instantly become a Jedi master ninja karate expert mechanical ship repairing genius in a heartbeat? It's boring.
Excel at everything right away?

Sure the mind trick was maybe a little to convenient of a plot effect, but it's also not like she got it 1st try. The pull on a lightsabre has been done with people not trained yet either, outside those 2 things - she really didn't do anything with the force.

Mechanical genius - you can tell from when she was introduced she knew her stuff as she was scavenging parts from ships and selling them. It's not like it was just conveniently placed in there, there was enough back story to let you know she could do that.

In the warm-up in protecting the droid it showed she had some skills with a staff - in the lightsabre fight it's not like she was gifted and excelled at it, she was up against a wounded guy - who imo is also not the greatest fighter yet either.
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flamesfan6 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2015, 09:10 PM   #262
ae118
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Given how politically correct things have become I would have been surprised if the didn't make the lead a woman. Now prepare yourself for the onslaught telling you what a bad person you are.

I don't understand the hang-up, or how making a woman a lead character is PC. It's... life.
ae118 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ae118 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2015, 09:31 PM   #263
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae118 View Post
I don't understand the hang-up, or how making a woman a lead character is PC. It's... life.
So if the lead was male no one would have any complaints at all?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:40 PM   #264
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved the movie. Abrams is great at fan service while telling a story. The only point that was a little overdone was the cantina scene.

I wouldn't have given Ren the mask until the end or start of the next one. His petulance and rage doesn't fit the calm evil of Vader. And it's because snoke hasn't fully trained him yet. So I would have had him dawn the mask as part him being fully trained. It would have gotten rid of the playing dress up with Vader feel but that is nit picky.

Loved that they were in about 50 years or so able to create missing lore and mythology.

Is she Lukes kid? Why did Ren chase the dark side, how did snoke rise?

Loved the closing of Hans arc. I figured he was dead but thought Ren was going to ask him to kill him, the Han refuses, the the dark side in Ren kicking back in to keep the glimmer of hope alive that he isn't evil.

I think they good be Brother and Sister based on Leias comment of I never should have sent him away, that's when I lost him but then you'd figure Leia and Han would have recognized her
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:54 PM   #265
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan6 View Post
Excel at everything right away?

Sure the mind trick was maybe a little to convenient of a plot effect, but it's also not like she got it 1st try. The pull on a lightsabre has been done with people not trained yet either, outside those 2 things - she really didn't do anything with the force.

Mechanical genius - you can tell from when she was introduced she knew her stuff as she was scavenging parts from ships and selling them. It's not like it was just conveniently placed in there, there was enough back story to let you know she could do that.

In the warm-up in protecting the droid it showed she had some skills with a staff - in the lightsabre fight it's not like she was gifted and excelled at it, she was up against a wounded guy - who imo is also not the greatest fighter yet either.
Don't forget she seems to know all languages thrown her way. Knew how to understand the droid perfectly and was able to understand Wookie.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:04 PM   #266
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I liked the movie, thought it was pretty good but did not have my socks blown off like I did when I first watched the originals.
I was just thinking about this too. I saw ROTJ in the theater in grade 2. It changed my life. I thnk a contributing factor was where daily TV was at that time. I was watching Max the 2000 year old mouse and The Mighty Hercules on a 32" tube TV. It's much tougher for movies today to be completely mind blowing when I have a giant 4k UHD in the living room.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:05 PM   #267
Bane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

BTW I thought Daisy Ridley did a find job but I really disliked how they made her excel at everything straight away I like to see characters that struggle and then then succeed through perseverance.
Rey did struggle. Her whole back story was one of struggle and perseverance. As a scavenger, she would have had to learn to think on her feet and adapt fast. Luke, on the other hand, led a sedate life as a moisture farmer, so he was slow to adapt and it took him much longer to develop his powers. Luke resisted Kenobi and Yoda's instructions at first, thinking it was "impossible", whereas Rey embraced the Force when face to face with Kylo.

I also suspect that we will learn in Episode 8 that Rey may have had some Jedi training before being sent to Jakku. It has also been theorized that her memories of that part of her life may have been blocked (possibly by Luke), and that they only started unlocking when she came into close proximity with Luke's old lightsaber.

Alternatively, Anakin was a prodigy when it came to technology and piloting in the prequels. If Rey is a Skywalker, then maybe she inherited some of Anakin's better qualities.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #268
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The Captain accessing the computer for the rebels was quite odd. Even at gun point, you'd think she would be disciplined enough to not allow a very expensive space station to be blown up like that. She's responsible for the deaths of everyone on that station plus the destruction of the station itself. Very odd. Poor writing, as there really was no reason to include that.
I really wonder at the incompetence of the First Order and how they could even manage to build a giant super weapon given that there exists a Republic with a giant navy somewhere in the galaxy, how long it takes to build one of these things and the obvious discipline problems with their engineers, staff and soldiers. You'd think the Republic would have come and crushed these guys many times over already in the time the weapon would have taken to complete. Seems to be a few holes here. Also Rey being able to just suddenly channel the force to become stronger than Ren was rather convenient when she had no training either... just suddenly became a super fighter very quickly. Could have been written a bit better there. Everything just seemed rather convenient.

Some obvious holes. Still, movie was entertaining enough.

Last edited by FlameOn; 12-20-2015 at 10:17 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #269
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate the whole PC argument of why there's a female lead as the force user. They wanted to have the love interest angle so each lead needs a role.

If you want to be cynical about it consider that all boys like Star Wars so creating another swashbuckling Disney princess in Rey allows them to market Star Wars to girls and boys.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #270
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
So a chick is now the face of star wars?

That's just something that's going to take a while for me to come around on. I don't know why they would make this decision. I mean it's great that they are making the cast more diverse etc. but I never would have guessed that the main character/hero/anakin/luke would now be a girl.
Rey (and Daisy Ridley's performance) has been widely praised by both critics and fans alike. Would it have been a better movie if that character was a man instead? If so, why? What difference would that have made?
MarchHare is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2015, 10:16 PM   #271
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
Rey did struggle. Her whole back story was one of struggle and perseverance.
I wanted to see her struggles and watch her overcome not just hear about it. That was one of the biggest problems with the prequels Lucas had the characters talk about all these great adventures but no one cared because we didn't experience any of it. As for Luke he was trained by the master of all Jedi and still at first got his ass kicked by Vader and had to overcome so many things, we SAW it happen. With Rey nope, well unless you count a few minutes or even seconds of hyper learning new abilities then okay.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:26 PM   #272
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone else disappointed that another arsekickin female character didn't make TFA? I was really, really hoping Ahsoka would have been a resistance general or something. Which gives momentum to CC's theory that she dies in Rebels.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:28 PM   #273
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
I was just thinking about this too. I saw ROTJ in the theater in grade 2. It changed my life. I thnk a contributing factor was where daily TV was at that time. I was watching Max the 2000 year old mouse and The Mighty Hercules on a 32" tube TV. It's much tougher for movies today to be completely mind blowing when I have a giant 4k UHD in the living room.
This really has more to do with it than anything.

A 6 year old kid watching Force Awakens would've been completely blown away too.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2015, 10:31 PM   #274
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Rey (and Daisy Ridley's performance) has been widely praised by both critics and fans alike. Would it have been a better movie if that character was a man instead? If so, why? What difference would that have made?
I guess it would just be in line with reality. The fiercest warriors in history were and are male. This is correctly represented in movies thus far. I have nothing against women empowerment, but I have a hard time believing that the strongest Jedi warrior who's going to go around and beat Sith lords is going to be a chick.....cuz there's not one dude out there stronger than her ? This is a marketing gimmick is all it is and not in line with reality. I don't think a woman in my life will have a problem with me saying or having this viewpoint.

Movies awesome. Dailey ridleys performance is awesome. Excellence all around.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:35 PM   #275
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Not sure if serious.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2015, 10:37 PM   #276
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wanted to see her struggles and watch her overcome not just hear about it. That was one of the biggest problems with the prequels Lucas had the characters talk about all these great adventures but no one cared because we didn't experience any of it. As for Luke he was trained by the master of all Jedi and still at first got his ass kicked by Vader and had to overcome so many things, we SAW it happen. With Rey nope, well unless you count a few minutes or even seconds of hyper learning new abilities then okay.
You haven't watched the second movie yet. The struggle will come there. In A new hope Luke did not struggle.

It's classic trilogy making. First one introduce all the pieces with the good guys winning but incurring some loss. Next one make it look like all hope is lost, and third one she rises.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:38 PM   #277
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess it would just be in line with reality. The fiercest warriors in history were and are male. This is correctly represented in movies thus far.
Haha, wow. Did you fall asleep during the scenes on Dagobah where Yoda taught Luke about the Force? His entire point was that you don't need to be a burly strong manly man to be a powerful Jedi.

Quote:
Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.
MarchHare is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2015, 10:38 PM   #278
ae118
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
So if the lead was male no one would have any complaints at all?

Well, the last six were.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:40 PM   #279
ae118
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default *SPOILER DISCUSSION* Star Wars The Force Awakens *POST HERE AFTER SEEING THE ...

Quote:
I guess it would just be in line with reality. The fiercest warriors in history were and are male. This is correctly represented in movies thus far. I have nothing against women empowerment, but I have a hard time believing that the strongest Jedi warrior who's going to go around and beat Sith lords is going to be a chick.....cuz there's not one dude out there stronger than her ? This is a marketing gimmick is all it is and not in line with reality. I don't think a woman in my life will have a problem with me saying or having this viewpoint.

Seriously? What about Yoda? A real physical threat there. I think it's possible you don't understand The Force.

ETA: Ditto MarchHare.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:40 PM   #280
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Movies awesome. Dailey ridleys performance is awesome. Excellence all around.
These warriors are empowered by magical bacteria. A four foot tall puppet was the strongest at one point. By your logic only the strongest race of the variety of alien species should be Jedi. If anything the stars wars encouraged physical appearance didn't matter.