Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2018, 12:33 PM   #261
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
Do we know if anything came of this?
Curious as well. For the third week in a row I didn't bother putting the green bin out. And I try and compost everything I can
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #262
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been turning my green bin sideways and placing it as tight against the fence as possible, and the idiot operator keeps coming and grabbing it. Yesterday he broke a big branch off my tree. I'm not sure how else to indicate it is empty. The garbage and recycling guys seem to have figured it out.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #263
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our text notifications aren't working anymore, and it kind of sucks when you come back from a trip and you lose sync with the black bin pick up. I guess if I go by what my neighbours are doing, today was the day, provided we aren't all a bunch of lemmings.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #264
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I've been turning my green bin sideways and placing it as tight against the fence as possible, and the idiot operator keeps coming and grabbing it. Yesterday he broke a big branch off my tree. I'm not sure how else to indicate it is empty. The garbage and recycling guys seem to have figured it out.
At least you can put the tree branch in the green bin now.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 04:10 PM   #265
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the issue with them picking up an empty bin?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #266
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

For one, it's a bit of a waste for them to pick up empty bins. And I was away for 3 weeks, so I couldn't pull them out and way from the fence for easy pickup. And if I accidentally leave them a little out, they have in the past grabbed it improperly, dumped it all over the alley and drove off, which was fun. If they aren't placed perfectly they often fall over, or the machine somehow crushes the wheels a bit.

The mechanisms work great on flat ground I guess, but on an alley with 2 slopes and uneven ground they need to be in just the right spot. And that's why I would rather they only pick them up when I position them for pickup...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:45 AM   #267
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Our text notifications aren't working anymore, and it kind of sucks when you come back from a trip and you lose sync with the black bin pick up. I guess if I go by what my neighbours are doing, today was the day, provided we aren't all a bunch of lemmings.
This seems like fun, I'm going to see if I can lemming people next non garbage day
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 12:55 AM   #268
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've had issues with the texts too. Push notifications from the app work pretty well though
Old 03-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #269
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do trucks exist that can handle the blue and green bin waste at the same time? It seems like consolidating some of the pick up would help costs if that could be done.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #270
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha. I noticed for the last few weeks on green bin day there's a guy down the street that would put out his black bin with the green bin laying on/in it. Always made me chuckle. Then yesterday I noticed bylaw officers make a stop by his house. No idea if it's related but how juvenile it all is brought a smile to my face
Old 03-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #271
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do trucks exist that can handle the blue and green bin waste at the same time? It seems like consolidating some of the pick up would help costs if that could be done.
I was thinking about this and am not sure you would really save that much as I suspect the lifting portion. And driving to and from the dump with full trucks is the bulk of the time.

Really they should have never done the blue bin program and built the recycling center.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #272
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Really they should have never done the blue bin program and built the recycling center.
No blue bins? Of all my bins, that is the one I use most.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #273
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
No blue bins? Of all my bins, that is the one I use most.
Yeah but recycling outside of aluminum doesn't make much sense
Old 03-10-2018, 12:44 PM   #274
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I would just like to see one truck driving around picking up the 3 bins into separate compartments rather than 3 trucks. Technically there should be the same amount of waste/recycling/compost we had when we had only the black bin and weekly pickup. So it’s not like one trucks couldn’t fit it all. Yeah there is the question of dropping it off at different facilities, so I don’t know if that is a bigger deal. I guess one specialized truck can pick up more neighbourhoods tough, so maybe that’s also part the reasoning in having separate trucks doing the pick ups.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #275
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah but recycling outside of aluminum doesn't make much sense
In what way (cost, effort to re-make it, etc)? It's taking that amount of "stuff" out of landfills.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #276
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In what way (cost, effort to re-make it, etc)? It's taking that amount of "stuff" out of landfills.
It CO2 emissions and lifecycle costs. Keeping "stuff" out of landfills is not some noble goal.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #277
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
It CO2 emissions and lifecycle costs. Keeping "stuff" out of landfills is not some noble goal.
could you maybe elaborate? Everything gets recycled doesn't it? You're just saying the CO2 emissions to recycle everything nullifies the environmental effect?

Having a tough time buying that I guess?

edit: also what you're just going to have perpetually growing landfills and never do anything about it? Doesn't make much sense to me either.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 03-10-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 04:13 PM   #278
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Most recycling is cardboard. The world has so much recycled cardboard even China doesn’t want it anymore/ are refusing it.

Recycling mostly just makes people feel good about themselves and creates jobs. We created an entire industry built around getting people to clean and sort their own garbage due to guilt !
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #279
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
could you maybe elaborate? Everything gets recycled doesn't it? You're just saying the CO2 emissions to recycle everything nullifies the environmental effect?

Having a tough time buying that I guess?

edit: also what you're just going to have perpetually growing landfills and never do anything about it? Doesn't make much sense to me either.
I'll have to dig out the info

But in general we have unlimited space for landfills. It won't use up a meaningful amount of space in the world. All that changes is the cost to build landfills and the transportation costs associate with landfills that are farther away.

Currently there isn't a market for the goods we are recycling so if you go to the Calgary landfill there are stock piles of sorted glass and plastics that have no value and aren't being repurposed. We just have too much of it.

With paper the most CO2 efficient option is methane recovery landfills where we burn the methane from the anarobic decomposition of the waste. That becomes a fairly rewable source of energy as long as you are replanting forests. And we just have too much it to be used effectively as a paper replacement

Aluminum cans and all metals are really cheap to recycle and make a lot of sense to do it.

Basically people's desire to recycle outstrips demand for recycled product and the halo affect of recycling encourages people to forget about the other more important ways to reduce impact. Reuse and Reduce.

EDIT: found what I think I had read previously: There are some issues with the study but it covers some of the concerns with recycling. One problem is tha lack of wholistic research around recycling. Most focuses on very discreet chunks of the problem
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/gizmodo....1738223096/amp

Last edited by GGG; 03-10-2018 at 04:32 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #280
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Most recycling is cardboard. The world has so much recycled cardboard even China doesn’t want it anymore/ are refusing it.

Recycling mostly just makes people feel good about themselves and creates jobs. We created an entire industry built around getting people to clean and sort their own garbage due to guilt !
Yeah, there’s a reason it’s the last of the three R’s. It’s far better to reduce and reuse as opposed to recycling.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote