Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #261
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man I'm really torn at this point.

On the one hand I don't trust Mommy Redford and her "we're here to babysit you kids" rhetoric (.05 laws, possible sin taxes) at all, but I'm not yet convinced the Wild Rose would be any better.

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but everything I'm hearing from the Wild Rose just seems to be framed in the "here's how the PC's are evil" argument, which comes across as a little hallow considering that the last 6 months have simply been blunder after blunder for the PC's. At this point the Wild Rose may as well set up on a soap box declaring "The sky is blue! Water is Wet!" because there's really no one who disagrees that the PC's have really screwed the pooch at this point. So the "PC's bad, Wild Rose not bad" act is running thin.

I dunno, this could change, but as of right now I'm not sure I'd vote for either party. Will Kodos be on the ballot?
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #262
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

IMO: the Wildrose campaign matters. The PC campaign doesn't. If you've been in office for as long as they have, you're running on your record whether you like it or not.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #263
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
I dunno, this could change, but as of right now I'm not sure I'd vote for either party. Will Kodos be on the ballot?
Nope, but Kang will be on the ballot.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #264
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

For those curious, we've launched our Twitter Conversation infographic looking at the online conversation for the week before the election.

http://albertatweets.ca/the-twitter-...th-march-25th/

Basically, the trends online are pretty much inline with what we're seeing in the polls. With the WRP basically dominating the conversation and showing that they have been a far more organized campaign todate. Next week's version will be pretty interesting, as it'll be the first time we've seen the PCs mobilized online.

Some of you may also recognize a couple of the top tweeters for last week.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to c.t.ner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #265
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
The first week of campaigning isn't over. Keep in mind the Wild Rose has been campaigning for over a year at least while the PC's have been going through leadership votes and running the actual government - their campaign didn't really start until this past month, really just this week.
lol. The entire budget dramatics has been Redford and the Tories campaigning for months now as well. The difference is, Wildrose was campaigning on their own dime, while Redford made you and I pay for theirs.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #266
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
The Wildrose plan is to give the same amount of money (or a bit more) but eliminate the conditions. The plan is to provide consistent, stable, and predictable funding to the cities.
It seems like you are concerned that Nenshi will decide that C-Trains aren't as important as say bridges and will therefore redirect funding towards bridges, but the people of Calgary voted for their local government and I think that the local government is better positioned to decide funding priorities than say an MLA from Peace River.
One of the key Wildrose beliefs is that decisions should be made closer to where the people are and should not be centralized decisions if possible. By giving the money directly to the municipalities they are allowing the spending decisions to be made at that level.
Most municipalities will agree with this philosophy...IF the level of transfer and revenue generating power is actually adequate for the municipalities to meet their particular needs. Keep in mind that cities like Calgary and Edmonton need to build infrastructure like LRT lines. These are billions of dollars each. The big cities should not be treated the same is tiny towns with a totally different set of needs. I've yet to see any party make this distinction - a one-size-fits-all approach will not work. Generally, we need to stop treating cities as a some sort of junior level of government able to operate and invest only at the whims of the Province (and to a lesser extent the Federal Government). Our consitution is based on an agrarian society, of which we are not anymore.

Take a look at the City of Calgary Council's Cities Matter survey:
http://www.citiesmatter.ca/

Last edited by Bunk; 03-28-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #267
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.t.ner View Post
For those curious, we've launched our Twitter Conversation infographic looking at the online conversation for the week before the election.

http://albertatweets.ca/the-twitter-...th-march-25th/

Basically, the trends online are pretty much inline with what we're seeing in the polls. With the WRP basically dominating the conversation and showing that they have been a far more organized campaign todate. Next week's version will be pretty interesting, as it'll be the first time we've seen the PCs mobilized online.

Its interesting, but I also wonder how many of the party mentions had to do with the bus and things like that.

I do agree that this is alarming for the Tories (and moderates everywhere). The thing that is really remarkable is that the Wildrose has done this without releasing any ideas or platform. I know some people count the "no new taxes" or "balanced budgets" but honestly, thats old news. Even if you support them you have to admit that we've heard that trotted out for probably two years now.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #268
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Its interesting, but I also wonder how many of the party mentions had to do with the bus and things like that.

I do agree that this is alarming for the Tories (and moderates everywhere). The thing that is really remarkable is that the Wildrose has done this without releasing any ideas or platform. I know some people count the "no new taxes" or "balanced budgets" but honestly, thats old news. Even if you support them you have to admit that we've heard that trotted out for probably two years now.
Totally agree that the Bus issue gave the WRP a huge shot in the arm last week, as it was probably the most retweeted item. That being said, looking at what we're pulling for this week, we're seeing a similar gap in conversation between the two party mentions at the moment.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c.t.ner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #269
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

When do the signs have to be removed from public areas? I'm sick of seeing them already.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #270
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but everything I'm hearing from the Wild Rose just seems to be framed in the "here's how the PC's are evil" argument, which comes across as a little hallow considering that the last 6 months have simply been blunder after blunder for the PC's. At this point the Wild Rose may as well set up on a soap box declaring "The sky is blue! Water is Wet!" because there's really no one who disagrees that the PC's have really screwed the pooch at this point. So the "PC's bad, Wild Rose not bad" act is running thin.
Glad we have your attention. Like many others people are waiting for "what will they do next". After a conference call with the campaign team last night.... I can't wait for Albertans to see the rest of our campaign.

As for the polls, it doesn't change how the Wildrose approaches this; any party should campaign like they are trailing by double-digits.

Quote:
Looks like I'm in some really good company.
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #271
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
So cutting money from public transit funding? I think that the Wildrose Party is intent on pushing Alberta back into the Klein years which have shown to result in the province having to play catchup with pretty much all infrastructure.
I haven't had a chance to look at any of the platforms of the competing parties yet, but if this is true, I know which party I'm not voting for. Terribly outdated thinking.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #272
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
When do the signs have to be removed from public areas? I'm sick of seeing them already.
36 hours after the close of polls. Most will be gone by April 25
The Following User Says Thank You to First Lady For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #273
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
I wish the law was that there were no signs unless they are on private property actually. That goes for all elections.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #274
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I do agree that this is alarming for the Tories (and moderates everywhere).
Glad to see you are admitting they are moderates now.

Quote:
The thing that is really remarkable is that the Wildrose has done this without releasing any ideas or platform. I know some people count the "no new taxes" or "balanced budgets" but honestly, thats old news. Even if you support them you have to admit that we've heard that trotted out for probably two years now.
This illustrates how people see things thru the lens they choose.

- October we put out a huge (132 page) Policy Green Book

- Leading up to the election we released 5 key Commitments to Albertans.

- We have nearly daily press releases; many dealing with policy.

- Over the course of election there will be Wildrose Pledges

- And we have 87 candidates out there meeting Albertans & discussing our platform.
The Following User Says Thank You to First Lady For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #275
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm fairly uninspired by this election. It will probably go something like this, PCs will tank a bit at first, WR backbencher will say something outlandishly stupid, PCs will regain the lead and it will be fairly close going into the polls. People will vote for the devil they know, and we'll have another 4 years of PC majority, with the WR getting 20ish seats.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #276
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Totally agree that the Bus issue gave the WRP a huge shot in the arm last week, as it was probably the most retweeted item. That being said, looking at what we're pulling for this week, we're seeing a similar gap in conversation between the two party mentions at the moment.
Probably should also factor in 50% of my tweets are tagged with #pcaa
Old 03-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #277
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post
Glad to see you are admitting they are moderates now.

This illustrates how people see things thru the lens they choose.

- October we put out a huge (132 page) Policy Green Book

- Leading up to the election we released 5 key Commitments to Albertans.

- We have nearly daily press releases; many dealing with policy.

- Over the course of election there will be Wildrose Pledges

- And we have 87 candidates out there meeting Albertans & discussing our platform.

I just think that the PCs are closer to the center than the Wildrose. I think that you are the only person in the province who tries to imply otherwise!

I know that you have reiterated the no new taxes and balanced budget. My point isn't that you've somehow changed that tune, its just that you haven't had a new idea (not you, the party) in the past say 2-3 years?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #278
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I just think that the PCs are closer to the center than the Wildrose. I think that you are the only person in the province who tries to imply otherwise!
I see the PC's as very left on fiscal things and conservative on social issues (see any of the restrictions they've implemented). Whereas Wildrose is fiscally conservative and socially moderate (some might say libertarian). From what I've seen most Albertans fall into the latter.

Quote:
I know that you have reiterated the no new taxes and balanced budget. My point isn't that you've somehow changed that tune, its just that you haven't had a new idea (not you, the party) in the past say 2-3 years?
There could be some truth to that; we believe our policies have been pretty solid for some time now. We don't bend with the wind or flavour of the day. Our caucus has done a good job articulating our position and its not always easy to stand your ground on what you believe to be right.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #279
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I'm fairly uninspired by this election. It will probably go something like this, PCs will tank a bit at first, WR backbencher will say something outlandishly stupid, PCs will regain the lead and it will be fairly close going into the polls. People will vote for the devil they know, and we'll have another 4 years of PC majority, with the WR getting 20ish seats.
I see it playing out this way exactly. I'm waiting for the front page of the paper idiocy quote from an otherwise low profile Wildrose candidate followed up by attacks from Redford using it as 'evidence' that the Wildrose is 'extreme right-wing.' All election theatrics but entirely predictable. That all said the Tories have their fair share of 'foot-in-mouth' inserters as well and there might be a few gaffes out of them too.

I'm not going to lie though, I love election races, and especially close nasty ones. It's like reality TV for me. Even if the party that wins isn't the one I support it promises to be a good show.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #280
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post
I see the PC's as very left on fiscal things and conservative on social issues (see any of the restrictions they've implemented). Whereas Wildrose is fiscally conservative and socially moderate (some might say libertarian). From what I've seen most Albertans fall into the latter.

There could be some truth to that; we believe our policies have been pretty solid for some time now. We don't bend with the wind or flavour of the day. Our caucus has done a good job articulating our position and its not always easy to stand your ground on what you believe to be right.

This is where we have the point of departure though. The Wildrose isn't fiscally conservative. (Its a poor label to begin with, as every party would say that they are). Instead the plan is to cut spending and delivery of services along with infrastructure. This is purely to keep taxes low, which is an ideological bent, but not a sensible policy for the future. The shocking thing though is that none of this is costed. I've asked the party (as you know) when we can see a line by line breakdown and had no response. Some of us refer to that line-by-line breakdown more commonly as a "budget".

To me its pretty simple fiscally; either the Wildrose has some magicians in their midst whereby the cutting of "inefficiencies" that none of us will even notice perfectly balances with new spending in areas like health, education and infrastructure, or we can expect cuts. I'm not prepared to cast a ballot in favour of magic just yet!

As for the socially moderate that has to be a joke. In a party where candidates have written articles saying that the church should decide who should be allowed to be married I fail to see how you can make that claim. That is a large concern for me; rather see a separation of chruch and state you have candidates who actually want the church to make societal decisions for us. I'm not sure how that jives with the libertarians in the party, but it has to be an uneasy coaltion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:

Tags
alberta , election , get off butt & vote