Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2021, 11:08 AM   #261
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
There are some pretty strange things that cannot be explained or explained away.
Ahh the old "appeal to ignorance" fallacy. A classic.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:34 PM   #262
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Ahh the old "appeal to ignorance" fallacy. A classic.
Not a fallacy. There are things science just can't explain. I'm not even going to talk about religion and "miracles" either. I'm going to talk about natually occuring phenomena that are just so hard to understand that we can't explain. But I know you're smarter that everyone else, so please explain the following.

The Yonaguni Ruins.

Bob Lazar's knowledge and perfect description of element 115 over a decade before its discovery.

The existence of cosmic rays that defy the GZK limit and the theory of relativity.

The sun's atmosphere being hotter than its surface.

The Great Attractor in the Milky Way galaxy.

Dark matter.

How gravity works.

The Antarctic paradox.

Oceans inside the earth's mantle.

Ball lightning.

The origin of life on earth.

The placebo effect and how it works.

Why we yawn.

Human intuition.

Near death experiences.

I could go on. But these are just some of the things that science can't explain with any certainty, and certainly cannot be explained away.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:39 PM   #263
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

*Fuzz Google's Bob Lazar*

Quote:
Universities from which he claims to hold degrees show no record of him, and supposed former workplaces have disavowed him. In 1990, he was convicted for his involvement in a prostitution ring and again in 2006 for selling illegal chemicals.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Lazar

Well then, I'm convinced of his credibility.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:01 PM   #264
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Just because science can't explain something right now doesn't mean it's unexplainable with science, it just means it hasn't been explained yet.

God of the gaps.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 02:01 PM   #265
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh well, if it's on Wikipedia, it must be true! Your scholarly take on that really impressed me. Went right to primary sourced information to make your point! Your credibility is unapproachable!

Question. Did you bother to look at the YouTube videos from earlier with Rogan and Lazar, and then the work done by George Knapp and Jeremy Corbell to take these issues apart and present counter evidence to support Lazar's claims? Oh, forgive me, you have Wikipedia on your side!
Old 05-05-2021, 02:08 PM   #266
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh well, if it's on Wikipedia, it must be true! Your scholarly take on that really impressed me. Went right to primary sourced information to make your point! Your credibility is unapproachable!

Question. Did you bother to look at the YouTube videos from earlier with Rogan and Lazar, and then the work done by George Knapp and Jeremy Corbell to take these issues apart and present counter evidence to support Lazar's claims? Oh, forgive me, you have Wikipedia on your side!
Honestly, no. I must have missed that post. I'll add it to my viewing list. But does that change the fact that he lied about education, was convicted of prostitution, and illegal sales? I like my sources for ideas to at least have some credibility. If he lies about degrees, why should I waste any time on anything else he has to say? What are the odds it's truthful?
Old 05-05-2021, 02:08 PM   #267
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Just because science can't explain something right now doesn't mean it's unexplainable with science, it just means it hasn't been explained yet.

God of the gaps.
We can't explain it because we don't have the understanding to explain it. Isn't that the point? We don't understand everything. And that's fun. It's okay to have things that are unexplainable. But it does go back to the larger question on this topic, how would we know what to look for if we don't understand what we're looking for?
Old 05-05-2021, 02:11 PM   #268
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it this one? He seems to have more than one. I don't see it posted in this thread.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:22 PM   #269
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not a fallacy. There are things science just can't explain. I'm not even going to talk about religion and "miracles" either. I'm going to talk about natually occuring phenomena that are just so hard to understand that we can't explain. But I know you're smarter that everyone else, so please explain the following.

The Yonaguni Ruins.

Bob Lazar's knowledge and perfect description of element 115 over a decade before its discovery.

The existence of cosmic rays that defy the GZK limit and the theory of relativity.

The sun's atmosphere being hotter than its surface.

The Great Attractor in the Milky Way galaxy.

Dark matter.

How gravity works.

The Antarctic paradox.

Oceans inside the earth's mantle.

Ball lightning.

The origin of life on earth.

The placebo effect and how it works.

Why we yawn.

Human intuition.

Near death experiences.

I could go on. But these are just some of the things that science can't explain with any certainty, and certainly cannot be explained away.
Lol I like how you've put in some valid unexplained scientific phenomenon alongside whacky conspiracy theories as if they're the same.

Basalt.

Chimps and typewriters.

3-7 valid questions

Antarctic paradox allegedly explained scientifically: https://www.nature.com/articles/505491a

etc.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:22 PM   #270
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Honestly, no. I must have missed that post. I'll add it to my viewing list. But does that change the fact that he lied about education, was convicted of prostitution, and illegal sales? I like my sources for ideas to at least have some credibility. If he lies about degrees, why should I waste any time on anything else he has to say? What are the odds it's truthful?
He didn't lie about his education. Nor did he lie about where he worked. Knapp and Corbel were able to dig in and validate the documents Lazar was able to present to support his claims. The government has gone out of its way to discredit Lazar and his claims about Area 51, and that includes drummed up charges on things he did not do.

Since we're going to play the odds game... What are the odds that someone who did not work at Los Alamos be able to take people on a tour of a secure facility and know every nook and cranny and many of the people who worked there? What are the odds that person's name would show up in a company directory? What are the odds that a person who was not able to study these devices be able to explain in great detail their inner workings and how the propulsion system worked? What are the odds that someone would be able to explain the use of an undiscovered element, explain the composition of that element in great detail, all over a decade before its discovery? What are the odds that an individual would be able to take multiple people to a location where they would observe UFOs in the restricted airspace to minutes of precision? What are the odds of that individual passing multiple polygraphs? What are the odds of others being able to confirm his narratives and that he was there if he were just making things up? Maybe do a little more than look something up on Wikipedia? You're better than that.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 05-05-2021 at 02:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 02:30 PM   #271
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it this one? He seems to have more than one. I don't see it posted in this thread.

Yup, that's the one. The documentary in question from the interview is below.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81083891

There's another one I remember seeing years ago, and it was produced by George Knapp from KLAS TV.

Here's an interview with him, specific to Lazar and Area 51. Knapp is the guy who broke Lazar's story back in the 80s. I haven't listened to this, but its about Knapp more so than Lazar, but he does speak to the Lazar conundrum.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:49 PM   #272
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I debased myself to watch this crap (Joe Rogan is an idiot) and I have to say, Bob Lazar does not speak anything like any other physicists i've heard speak before. Saying things like "It's gravity flipped 180 degrees" uh huh...

Fun fantasy story.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:50 PM   #273
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Lol I like how you've put in some valid unexplained scientific phenomenon alongside whacky conspiracy theories as if they're the same.
Do tell. What are these whacky conspiracy theories? Tried to present a couple directly related to the topic (Yonaguni and Lazar), then astronomy/the universe (cosmic rays, the sun, the galaxy), physics (dark matter, gravity), our environment/planet (oceans in the mantle, ball lightning, origin of life), and then psychological phenomena (placebo, yawn, intuition, near death experience). What is wacky here?

Quote:
Antarctic paradox allegedly explained scientifically: https://www.nature.com/articles/505491a

etc.
Different Antarctic Paradox. The paradox in question is in regards to unexplained variations in photoplankton, but appreciate the effort. Interesting article!
Old 05-05-2021, 02:57 PM   #274
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there is a big difference between stuff we just don't understand(source of gravity, dark matter) and stuff that has no evidence in reality, but may, possibly exist(aliens, ancient advanced species, God, tooth fairy). I prefer to keep those entirely separate. One group has a basis in science, the other does not yet.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:02 PM   #275
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
We can't explain it because we don't have the understanding to explain it. Isn't that the point? We don't understand everything. And that's fun. It's okay to have things that are unexplainable. But it does go back to the larger question on this topic, how would we know what to look for if we don't understand what we're looking for?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:05 PM   #276
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
*Fuzz Google's Bob Lazar*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Lazar

Well then, I'm convinced of his credibility.
Stanton Friedman (an "apologist ufologist") concluded Lazar is a fraud:

http://www.stantonfriedman.com/index...fdt=2011.01.07
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 03:08 PM   #277
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He didn't lie about his education. Nor did he lie about where he worked. Knapp and Corbel were able to dig in and validate the documents Lazar was able to present to support his claims. The government has gone out of its way to discredit Lazar and his claims about Area 51, and that includes drummed up charges on things he did not do.
If the government is shady enough to have his educational records deleted, as well as put him up on on fake charges, why didn't they just have him die in a car accident, or a drug overdose?
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:08 PM   #278
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
These are worth a watch.

Yeah I honestly didn’t find the Lazar interview great…

But this one was fantastic. 20 min mark he starts to walk through the footage his plane took, as he was looking at the thing with his eyes (allegedly of course).
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:23 PM   #279
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Technology Worship and Human Debasement in Erich von Däniken’s ‘Chariots of the Gods?’
https://wearethemutants.com/2017/02/...s-of-the-gods/
Thanks for this bit of nostalgia, my dad was a ferocious reader when I was growing up. Sadly he doesn't read a lot anymore. but in our house in Lake Bonivista he built a whole library in the basement with the old comfortable over stuffed leather chairs, and the well stocked bar, and he had shelf upon shelfs of books that he had meticulously sorted by category. When he saw something interesting he'd by it as well as encyclopedia series, the yearly books of discoveries, a vintage set of medical books from the 1800's. He had one section that was just the weird books. A lot of mythology based books, Nooks on different conspiracy stuff. And right in the middle he had the book chariots of the gods right next to L Ron's Dianetics book which was the basis of Scientology.

My dad for all of his rational thoughts, was a huge fan of alien conspiracy theories, and linking greek, roman, aztec and mayan's to alien intelligence.

My mom was a fan of chariots of the gods as well. It makes me a little bit sad now that Dementia has really taken its toll on her.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 03:25 PM   #280
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think there is a big difference between stuff we just don't understand(source of gravity, dark matter) and stuff that has no evidence in reality, but may, possibly exist(aliens, ancient advanced species, God, tooth fairy). I prefer to keep those entirely separate. One group has a basis in science, the other does not yet.
Ah, but I thought I had found proof of God during some neuropsychology research years ago while working on my PhD. Was working with fMRI scans on brain function and we found that people with a predilection to a specific ideological perspective, and shared a common religious identification, all had a specific location in their brain light up when certain stimulus was provided. They all stated they felt a presence of God. Was consistent as hell so got us excited that would could prove that God existed in our heads. Unfortunately it was not repeatable with another group who had a different political identification, but similar religious identification. Different part of the brain lit up. Consistently, but different part. The God location eluded us, but did give us data to support it being a result of brain chemistry and neurological pathways. The variance was too broad to make a specific conclusion. So science couldn't answer the unanswerable - yet! Belief and faith are hard nuts to crack.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post: