Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #261
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Does this seem like a good split
Mon: arms chest abs
Tues: back shoulder legs
Weds:arms chest abs
Thurs:back shoulder legs
Fri: full body
Sat and sunday rest days? Too much rest? Or just make fri arms chest abs?

Training legs on day 2 and 4 and then doing a full body workout on day 5 is very aggressive. I'd also split up legs/back and arms. Legs and back are two pretty big muscle groups, and your not to be able to hit them both at full capacity int the same day. I'd also treat biceps and triceps as different groups.

I also don't treat "abs" as a group, as they get rocked if you are doing compound workouts. You can do some accessory work on them after other workouts, but I wouldn't treat them as their own group.

When I was doing splits, I found something like this most effective:

Day 1: Triceps/Chest
Day 2: Legs/Biceps
Day 3: Shoulders/Back

Then just repeat these 3 days in a cycle. Don't put them on particular days, as you might for example, miss a Tuesday, which will throw off the proportion of each body part you are working.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 02:40 PM   #262
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Training legs on day 2 and 4 and then doing a full body workout on day 5 is very aggressive. I'd also split up legs/back and arms. Legs and back are two pretty big muscle groups, and your not to be able to hit them both at full capacity int the same day. I'd also treat biceps and triceps as different groups.

I also don't treat "abs" as a group, as they get rocked if you are doing compound workouts. You can do some accessory work on them after other workouts, but I wouldn't treat them as their own group.

When I was doing splits, I found something like this most effective:

Day 1: Triceps/Chest
Day 2: Legs/Biceps
Day 3: Shoulders/Back

Then just repeat these 3 days in a cycle. Don't put them on particular days, as you might for example, miss a Tuesday, which will throw off the proportion of each body part you are working.
Thankyou for the advice curious how long each day should last for workouts?
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #263
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
Does anyone know a good place to get some resistance bands? Preferably a full set.
I bought some on the Walmart website, lots of selection there. They are sold by 3rd party companies, haven't shown up yet though

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfan1297 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 03:00 PM   #264
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Thankyou for the advice curious how long each day should last for workouts?
I try to base each lifting session around a relatively heavy compound workout. Probably 6 or so workouts each day, each consisting of around 3 sets. It depends a bit on what you are training for. If you are going for endurance, you might want to go lighter with more sets/reps.

There's no reason you can't get a weightlifting session done in about 30 minutes though. 5-10 minutes of warmup before and some accessory work after. When I do legs, for example, the main workout is heavy squats, which is done in about 5 minutes. The other workouts that day are really just accessory work. And if I hit that 5 minutes of squats properly, my legs aren't 100% for another 5 days or so afterwards.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2020, 10:37 PM   #265
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Unless your juicing hard, thats too much in too short a time for your body to repair itself properly.

I work out 3 days a week.

Pushes (Chest; Tri's)
Legs
Pulls ( Back, Bi's, Shoulders)

Even if you wanted to go 4 days a week:

Chest
Legs
Back/Shoulders
Arms

Throw in some Abs here and there and thats enough to get pretty shredded if you are consistent and have a good diet.

Bottom line you need more rest in between hitting the same body part again.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2020, 04:12 AM   #266
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Unless your juicing hard, thats too much in too short a time for your body to repair itself properly.

I work out 3 days a week.

Pushes (Chest; Tri's)
Legs
Pulls ( Back, Bi's, Shoulders)

Even if you wanted to go 4 days a week:

Chest
Legs
Back/Shoulders
Arms

Throw in some Abs here and there and thats enough to get pretty shredded if you are consistent and have a good diet.

Bottom line you need more rest in between hitting the same body part again.
After a certain point, I found I did not progress unless I trained each muscle group about twice per week. I found on a 3 day split it was definitely possible to do that and get enough rest.

At a certain point it becomes a question of balance. Going to the gym 6 days per week is difficult to maintain. I wouldn't say it's a detriment or aromatically amounts to overtraining though.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:20 AM   #267
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
After a certain point, I found I did not progress unless I trained each muscle group about twice per week. I found on a 3 day split it was definitely possible to do that and get enough rest.

At a certain point it becomes a question of balance. Going to the gym 6 days per week is difficult to maintain. I wouldn't say it's a detriment or aromatically amounts to overtraining though.
Did you do 3 days then a rest day then 3 days again or did you do 6 days and a rest day?
Old 04-19-2020, 02:54 PM   #268
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Did you do 3 days then a rest day then 3 days again or did you do 6 days and a rest day?
I could do 6 in a row. My split worked out that way, so that no muscle group as overly fatigued.

It wasn't really possible for me to maintain that long term with my work schedule though. When I did do this I got by far the best results though.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:58 PM   #269
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Definitely no reason to have a full body day at the end of that.

I recommend splitting your arm days up too. Do biceps with your back day and do triceps with your chest day.
Those muscles overlap in most exercises already so it makes sense to group them.

A Push/Pull/Leg 3 day split is a pretty good option that covers everything and is used by many.

Personally I don't like doing a leg day and like to split my leg workouts up.
What I do is:

-Chest, Tris, Calfs
-Back, Biceps, Deadlifts
-Shoulders, Squats

I do 5-6 days/week and just keep cycling through that order.

Part of a good program is being honest about if you'll enjoy it and continue consistently.
If you program a leg day and then dread it when it comes around, you're more likely to find excuses that day and skip or go half effort.
For me, splitting up my leg work helps me a lot.

Last edited by Winsor_Pilates; 04-19-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2020, 09:48 AM   #270
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty glad I bought a squat rack and an olympic bar and weights a couple years ago during boxing week. Was setting up a home gym to offset the fact that we were moving offices, and they were going towards a more cardio centric gym. Now I can do all most of my weight training at home, so i do 3 days of weights, and 3 days of jump rope for cardio. Seems to be working out ok for me.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2020, 11:08 AM   #271
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I'm pretty glad I bought a squat rack and an olympic bar and weights a couple years ago during boxing week. Was setting up a home gym to offset the fact that we were moving offices, and they were going towards a more cardio centric gym. Now I can do all most of my weight training at home, so i do 3 days of weights, and 3 days of jump rope for cardio. Seems to be working out ok for me.
So jelly.

Haven't seen a barbell since the lockdown. I've been using a 52 lbs kettlebell and a 40 lbs dumbbell, but it's not the same.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:01 PM   #272
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hey Fatty's,

Does anyone use a stationary bike with one of those video peloton style doo hickeys?

What sort of subscription services are out there to watch on your tv if you already have a bike?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2020, 11:03 PM   #273
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

They won't sell one to you, Flash, ya fat ####.

EDIT: This was so much meaner than I intended.

Last edited by peter12; 04-26-2020 at 12:23 AM.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:53 AM   #274
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
They won't sell one to you, Flash, ya fat ####.

EDIT: This was so much meaner than I intended.
I can't believe FDW died so that you might live.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2020, 04:28 PM   #275
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Hey Fatty's,

Does anyone use a stationary bike with one of those video peloton style doo hickeys?

What sort of subscription services are out there to watch on your tv if you already have a bike?

https://zwift.com/ca
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2020, 04:52 PM   #276
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

God I miss the gym. I've lost almost ten pounds in muscle mass since this pandemic started, Living in a condo sucks and just isn't conducive for owning a home gym.

I do have some old dumbell bars and plates that I can use for now in my living room, and am a member of bodybuilding.com which is actually decent for home workouts and recipes and stuff. I also do private online yoga classes, which actually are a nice change of pace.... but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a good sweat sesh at a proper gym. Sigh.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #277
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
God I miss the gym. I've lost almost ten pounds in muscle mass since this pandemic started, Living in a condo sucks and just isn't conducive for owning a home gym.

I do have some old dumbell bars and plates that I can use for now in my living room, and am a member of bodybuilding.com which is actually decent for home workouts and recipes and stuff. I also do private online yoga classes, which actually are a nice change of pace.... but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a good sweat sesh at a proper gym. Sigh.
I miss the gym a lot. That's really weird because I was convinced I'd hate being a member in the first place! It's great though.

I've definitely lost some ground during the pandemic and that is frustrating. But I've come to the idea that I'm going to exercise a lot and eat well so that I can come out of this in better hape than I went in. I figure we've got another 10-12 weeks here. You can make an enormous amount of progress in that time!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2020, 11:31 PM   #278
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also miss the gym like crazy and am losing a little muscle mass.
I've decided to treat this as a cutting phase and have upped my cardio since that's easier to do without the gym.
I do have bowflex adjustable dumbbells and a flat bench so trying to maintain muscle as well.

I set up a punching bag, bought crossropes, and got a new road bike. I've lost 20 lbs this year and almost where I want to be before focusing on more of a lean bulk phase.
Timing of gyms reopening could be just about right with the goals I have and moving into that phase.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #279
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just noticed getting out of the shower today that I'm starting to get love handles again. Haven't had them in 5 years when I first lost all the weight...screw you Covid-19!! I miss the gym..doing my best at home here and its been ok, but it's just not the same.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #280
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have increased my calories considerably trying to bulk a bit some days I am upwards of 3200 but I walk over 15k steps a day keeping up with my kids plus I just pace around alot and switched my exercise routine to 3 days on 1 day off I've noticed muscle growth in the last 4 weeks but often wonder if I'm eating too much it's all too confusing lol I've gained about 6 pounds in a month I know the body can only produce about a pound of muscle a week so I may be a bit high. And eating that amount is another thing I feel full all the time like uncomfortable full I figure when I'm ready to cut it should be pretty easy to shed calories from my diet as alot are fillers ( extra peanut butter, nut mix , olive oil) but I'm still going to wait another month or two to cut