Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2021, 11:26 AM   #2761
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So what do you do? Salt the earth and bring the farmers here to grow marijuana?
No, you have to educate them and then give them a livelihood and product that has more value than the crop they have been growing for generations. How do you change the fisheries on the east coast? Same thing. Education and reshaping of the economics of the region. It takes time and it takes money. The US invested both in Afghanistan and produced nothing but $5 trillion in debt.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:51 AM   #2762
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I don't know, maybe I am naive, but I feel that it is possible to make an observation about politics in Japan without that making the observer guilty of white supremacy.

JC.
If there's any wonder why people are so divided these days, it's this knee-jerk bad-faith discussion bulls--t where you assume the worst possible interpretation of what someone says and run with it.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2021, 12:12 PM   #2763
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
If there's any wonder why people are so divided these days, it's this knee-jerk bad-faith discussion bulls--t where you assume the worst possible interpretation of what someone says and run with it.
Says the guy siding with the racist.

j/k
Old 08-15-2021, 12:36 PM   #2764
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I don't know, maybe I am naive, but I feel that it is possible to make an observation about politics in Japan without that making the observer guilty of white supremacy.
There are two types of people involved in the discussion: people who are honestly pursuing good faith dialogue, and people who are effectively religious zealots who may as well be telling you about the eternal hellfire your post has condemned you to. The latter type of person should be put on ignore and never quoted so that they have no bearing on any topic.

... I mean, I think they should just be banned if they can't restrain themselves from wildly accusing other posters of being white supremacists or advancing white supremacy, because I can't think of anything more insulting or obnoxious and we certainly ban people for less around here, but I apparently am not winning that battle. So the ignore feature it is.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2021, 01:56 PM   #2765
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 08-15-2021, 02:06 PM   #2766
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
I did not know this. That's extremely enlightening. Thanks for that information.
Nippon Kaigi own a hotel chain, APA, which stocks their rooms of a book that calls the Japanese massacres of the Chinese in Nanking essentially fake news. My cousin stayed in one of their rooms and flipped through it, saying the content is wild. He sent the hotel an email and cancelled his booking after checking in.

https://www.ft.com/content/d35ec458-...c-f253db7791c6

Quote:
In common with others over the years — including prime ministerial visits to the controversial Yasukuni war shrine — the furore surrounding the APA hotel chain has escalated quickly and toxically. Last week, the company was forced to explain why it was furnishing its rooms with a book, penned under a pseudonym by the founder, that argues the 1937 massacre of Chinese soldiers and civilians was “a fabrication”.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2021, 03:24 PM   #2767
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The funny/sad part of this is if a poster from Japan hadnt chimed in to support my assertion I'd still be seen as a racist by a bunch of posters that haven't a clue about Japan at all and, ironically, see my statement as racist because in their minds the idea that a race, nation or people would not aspire to a white western lifestyle and political system must mean that race is defective and inferior, which is in itself incredibly racist, at no point did I say the Japanese couldn't be democratic, I clearly stated they made a choice to ignore the democracy we attempted to force on them.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2021, 04:15 PM   #2768
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, so I dont want to be the one that kills this thread, and it is hard to believe that at least Rube isnt itching to slag Biden off here so....

I don't actually care some you guys called me or my posts racist, its online and I dont get, what do the kids call it these days? butthurt (which seems kind of potentially homophobic but what ever) over anything on line.

If you think in retrospect that you were wrong about my posts then no sweat, you could just own it and move on but its not a big deal either way, if you think you were right carry on as well.
Old 08-22-2021, 05:41 AM   #2769
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Ok, so I dont want to be the one that kills this thread, and it is hard to believe that at least Rube isnt itching to slag Biden off here so....
For Afghanistan? I think Biden actually deserves praise for making the right call even though it was a political poison pill.

That said...

Quote:
I don't actually care some you guys called me or my posts racist, its online and I dont get, what do the kids call it these days? butthurt (which seems kind of potentially homophobic but what ever) over anything on line.

If you think in retrospect that you were wrong about my posts then no sweat, you could just own it and move on but its not a big deal either way, if you think you were right carry on as well.
This seems like a non-sequitur.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 02:37 PM   #2770
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
For Afghanistan? I think Biden actually deserves praise for making the right call even though it was a political poison pill.

That said...

This seems like a non-sequitur.
no not really, to sum up I'm not upset and you guys can cope with the last few interactions in whichever way you wish, seems entirely sequitur'ish to me
Old 08-23-2021, 11:21 AM   #2771
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

surprised not to see this yet- Trump has lost control of the beast, as they boo him for promoting the vaccine.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:04 PM   #2772
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

And you'll never guess who just got awarded ambassador to Japan.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1430296871017218049
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2021, 10:09 PM   #2773
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And you'll never guess who just got awarded ambassador to Japan.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1430296871017218049
The irony being that Japan has publicly funded healthcare
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 03:34 PM   #2774
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The US should rank a lot higher than it does on the corruption scale.

What government and former government officials do (under the guise of “lobbying”) is really getting to be quite shameful shameful.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 03:46 PM   #2775
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
The US should rank a lot higher than it does on the corruption scale.

What government and former government officials do (under the guise of “lobbying”) is really getting to be quite shameful shameful.
What's the O/U on the number of MSNBC/CNN segments that would have been dedicated to something like this had Trump done it? We would have had at least 1-2 pages of posts in this thread on the topic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 04:52 PM   #2776
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1430661972136136704
Old 08-25-2021, 04:53 PM   #2777
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What's the O/U on the number of MSNBC/CNN segments that would have been dedicated to something like this had Trump done it? We would have had at least 1-2 pages of posts in this thread on the topic.
Uh, no we wouldn't. In Trump terms this is barely a scandal. He would have done three more outrageous things the same day and completely buried something like this.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 06:34 PM   #2778
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Uh, no we wouldn't. In Trump terms this is barely a scandal. He would have done three more outrageous things the same day and completely buried something like this.
Its tradition in the US where you give cushy ambassador positions to supporters/donors. You'd be having 'scandals' every time someone got a position.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:52 PM   #2779
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Ambassador to Japan? Cripes, Betsy friggin Devos was in charge of Education under Trump, and not because she was the best candidate.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:54 PM   #2780
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Ambassador to Japan? Cripes, Betsy friggin Devos was in charge of Education under Trump, and not because she was the best candidate.
I mean I was told by Democrats that corruption and cronyism was specific to the Trump admin, but I guess as long as the corruption isn't as bad as Trump's, we're cool.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post: