Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2016, 10:07 AM   #2761
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Read that article earlier and really got a chuckle out of the "abandoned his post" line. And really? They've "launched an investigation?" guy didn't like his job so he left, what's to investigate
The Herald got some facts wrong, especially this one. He did not leave the cab until the supervisor arrived to relieve him.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #2762
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which makes the story about the dad racing down to rescue his daughter part even funnier. Sounds like a St. Albert parent. I'm excited to watch his medal ceremony later
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #2763
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why wouldn't the train engineer arrange to have the replacement meet him at a station further along the line in the northwest?
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #2764
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Why wouldn't the train engineer arrange to have the replacement meet him at a station further along the line in the northwest?
I'd guess it was a union rule.

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #2765
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceUppercut View Post
I'd guess it was a union rule.
I can't imagine even the union would condone this type of reaction - it puts a bad light on all their members, and would be a hard position to defend. I'm sure they'd rather he kept driving and complained after the fact.

Notice the driver said his 'shift' 12 hours, but not that he had been driving for that long.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #2766
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
I can't imagine even the union would condone this type of reaction - it puts a bad light on all their members, and would be a hard position to defend. I'm sure they'd rather he kept driving and complained after the fact.

Notice the driver said his 'shift' 12 hours, but not that he had been driving for that long.
The right to refuse unsafe work is law under Section 35 of the OH&S Act, it's not just a union rule. If you feel that you are being asked to perform unsafe work, you don't tell your supervision and then keep doing the work. You stop working and tell your supervisor. At that point, they have to investigate and eliminate the danger. So stopping the train in a safe location and calling dispatch is the correct thing to do.

There are also criminal charges that come into play if they tell him to keep going and an accident happens.

Last edited by llwhiteoutll; 11-20-2016 at 11:41 AM.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #2767
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
The right to refuse unsafe work is law under Section 35 of the OH&S Act, it's not just a union rule. If you feel that you are being asked to perform unsafe work, you don't tell your supervision and then keep doing the work. You stop working and tell your supervisor. At that point, they have to investigate and eliminate the danger. So stopping the train in a safe location and calling dispatch is the correct thing to do.

There are also criminal charges that come into play if they tell him to keep going and an accident happens.
Yup. And it's not even just a right to refuse unsafe work anymore, it's an obligation to refuse. If there was an accident and the driver said he knew it was unsafe then did it anyway, there could be criminal charges against him personally not just CT.

That article really did a poor job of saying what happened. This global one is better. Like Cuz said above, he didn't walk off, he just stopped and waited for a supervisor

http://globalnews.ca/news/3074106/ct...al-to-proceed/

Quote:
“He came over the speaker and said that just due to the fact that he had been scheduled for over 12 hours that day, he would no longer be going any further until someone came along to relieve him of his duty,” passenger Nikki Warnock said.
Quote:
Rick Ratcliff with the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 538 said the driver contacted them Thursday morning.

“The member had some safety concerns because he had been, ultimately, at work for 12 hours, which is basically the limit of any shift at Calgary Transit.”
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #2768
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I usually hate the expression, "that's not my job", but that is not the train engineers job at all. CT needs to arrange shift scheduling, etc. If 12 hours is the max. shift, they need to be on the ball with how many hours the drivers have put in.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #2769
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

CT has a responsibility to schedule shifts properly.

The driver has a responsibility to his employer and his passengers to say something about the issue prior to the clock hitting 12 hours.

We don't really know if either happened in this case. Sounds like someone screwed up. Maybe both.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2016, 01:19 PM   #2770
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

The driver has a responsibility to his employer and his passengers to say something about the issue prior to the clock hitting 12 hours.

We don't really know if either happened in this case. Sounds like someone screwed up. Maybe both.
The biggest issue here is the shoddy reporting of the situation. This wasn't a driver abandoning his post, stranding passengers in an unsafe location or performing a unilateral job action. The driver has a legal obligation to the public not to work if he feels it is not safe to do so, whether it be 5 minutes, 5 hours or 12 hours into his shift. It is not really possible to predict when or if the driver will feel it unsafe until they feel that way. The way the media is framing this is ridiculous.

The news could have done a much better job reporting this, but sadly a reasonable headline and not finding the most shrill person to comment would not have sold the story and generated clicks.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #2771
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
The biggest issue here is the shoddy reporting of the situation. This wasn't a driver abandoning his post, stranding passengers in an unsafe location or performing a unilateral job action. The driver has a legal obligation to the public not to work if he feels it is not safe to do so, whether it be 5 minutes, 5 hours or 12 hours into his shift. It is not really possible to predict when or if the driver will feel it unsafe until they feel that way. The way the media is framing this is ridiculous.

The news could have done a much better job reporting this, but sadly a reasonable headline and not finding the most shrill person to comment would not have sold the story and generated clicks.
No the biggest issue is the train coming to a stop and not having someone ready to replace the driver.

And we know the driver stopped because he hit his 12 hour limit, not because of safety concerns that just happened to occur. This wasn't random. He knew his 12 hour shift was coming to an end.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #2772
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I figured that the train driver must live in the area and figured it was best to stop there and wait so that he could have a quicker commute back home.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:23 PM   #2773
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We aren't getting the entire story... If a replacement driver arrived in 15 minutes, then I will guess that the replacement was arranged prior to stopping the train.

Possibly, this is a planned change-off that went sour because of a delay getting the replacement driver.
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to para transit fellow For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2016, 03:46 PM   #2774
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
We aren't getting the entire story... If a replacement driver arrived in 15 minutes, then I will guess that the replacement was arranged prior to stopping the train.

Possibly, this is a planned change-off that went sour because of a delay getting the replacement driver.
That seems like the most reasonable explanation.

Last edited by Wormius; 11-20-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:55 PM   #2775
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post

Or Because of the game he didn't make it to the planned trade off station before hitting the 12 hr mark so the other driver had to can it from the planned drop point.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2016, 05:08 PM   #2776
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Or Because of the game he didn't make it to the planned trade off station before hitting the 12 hr mark so the other driver had to can it from the planned drop point.
This sounds like the most likely situation. The news story does make it sound like the driver planned a one man strike because he was upset about how many hours he worked. This trade-off likely went wonky somehow, so it was a noticeable trade-off and the driver was just informing the passengers about why they had to wait.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #2777
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

I'm pretty sure these operators aren't scheduling their own hours, CT knew exactly how long the driver had been working. Was this the best way for the driver to address the situation? That's debatable, but we don't know his side of it. Bottom line is he's not required, or even legally allowed to be working over 12 hours, CT dropped the ball on this one.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2016, 06:41 PM   #2778
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I'm pretty sure these operators aren't scheduling their own hours, CT knew exactly how long the driver had been working. Was this the best way for the driver to address the situation? That's debatable, but we don't know his side of it. Bottom line is he's not required, or even legally allowed to be working over 12 hours, CT dropped the ball on this one.
That attitude pisses me off. I'm not required to do it so I won't do it. If that is the case here I would be upset with the driver not spending 15 minutes extra to finish his route. However in this case from the scattered reporting I do not think it is the case and likely to due safety policies.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #2779
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post

The union should never have to defend this. What is CT going to discipline this driver for not putting their passengers in danger and not violating employment standards?

Notice what about the driver saying his "shift"? It doesn't matter if he's been operating a train or sitting in an office for 12 hours, he is obligated by law to stop working at that point.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2016, 06:46 PM   #2780
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
That attitude pisses me off. I'm not required to do it so I won't do it. If that is the case here I would be upset with the driver not spending 15 minutes extra to finish his route. However in this case from the scattered reporting I do not think it is the case and likely to due safety policies.
Imagine the ####storm if there was an incident in those last 15 minutes. Then it's "Greedy driver makes risky decision to bank some OT hours"
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings