Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2014, 12:11 AM   #2761
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can do full T5 now. But probably not as efficient as a lower Torment. I wonder what it'll be like once the buff is gone though - will people really slow their play? I might.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:22 AM   #2762
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I got a cool helmet, crappy only 3 primary, but the benefit! With the double enemies and the Arcane on crit I can almost spam Arcane Orb as fast as I can click.

And I remembered I had this orb too, and between the two my sheet DPS went down from 820k to 750k, but now I can just run through T1, I should probably move up I guess.

It's actually kind of funny, I changed my Electrocute to the rune where it can jump to 10 enemies to test and sure enough it'll jump to 20 times even if there's only 3 enemies.

The only downside is if there's only 1 it doesn't jump at all, so 1 on 1 bosses don't fall as fast, but I still have Archon for those.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:33 AM   #2763
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Yeah, I was thinking that but it also has 15% to cold.

Just also got a Quetzalcoatl drop. Stupid IAS on that too! Not complaining, just wondering if I should run that or the Mask of Jeram.
Aw that sucks haha. IAS is fine on SoJ if you're running pets though. But yeah Quetz + IAS is kinda useless.

For a while I was trying to save up for zookeeper build. But I've had zero luck collecting the Zuni set. I did run pet build for the longest time. But then I got Quetz from Kadala, and started goofing around with it a bit. Next thing you know I'm now running a DoT and cold build and dropped all my pets. Running T3 pretty easy, but sticking to T2 since it's way more efficient though.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:18 AM   #2764
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Finally got Vyr's gloves. Ideally I would prefer the boots for the 4 set (with ring) but the gloves will do for now. I also have 4 piece Tal's so I have the meteor proc as well. Overall its a pretty significant decrease in sheet DPS but I think its actually better. I am criting elites for an average of 7 mill and white mobs for about 4.5 mill (I have a soj and aughilds so pretty big damage to elties).
Congrats!!!

Spoiler!
Shawnski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shawnski For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #2765
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was hoping for a Moonlight Ward but I got this:

Enchant attack speed into Vit?
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #2766
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Nice countess! And god no, don't reroll the IAS to VIT. You can get Vit elsewhere. Attack Speed doesn't grow on trees.

Edit.... here is the Moonlight Ward I found yesterday.

Last edited by Shawnski; 05-18-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #2767
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Damn, that has perfect rolls, I'd rather have yours.

Edit: Is attack speed really that valuable? Just the other day you and photon/swayze were saying it may actually hurt you by draining your resource too quickly?

Last edited by saillias; 05-18-2014 at 10:06 AM.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #2768
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Edit: Is attack speed really that valuable? Just the other day you and photon/swayze were saying it may actually hurt you by draining your resource too quickly?
It's all a question of balance, IMHO. As others have also noted, IAS can trigger crits faster. Also you may be able to stun/slow/life on hit etc them more.

I do rate crit % and crit dmg generally higher than IAS, but all go towards your killing speed.

By equipping that Moonlight Ward, I was able to swap out my weapon to a higher damage, yet slower one and the trade off worked very well.

Bottom line, yes you have to manage your resource use and your decision should ultimately be based on the build you are targeting.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #2769
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Got my WD to 70 and started running rifts. I'm not very well geared at the moment so I'm only on expert.

Should I only be averaging one legendary every 1.5 runs? Seems kinda crappy especially with the anniversary bonus.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #2770
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Got my WD to 70 and started running rifts. I'm not very well geared at the moment so I'm only on expert.

Should I only be averaging one legendary every 1.5 runs? Seems kinda crappy especially with the anniversary bonus.
Join public Torment 1 groups and let them do the work for you and collect gear.

Also on happy note I finally got a SoJ tonight so I am now mowing down elites quickly as well as normal mobs. Yay!
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #2771
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post

It ebbs and flows, but a group can help a lot, got to run T3 rifts tonight for a while with Swayze11, I can kind of solo T3 but it takes a long time so they kinda carried me but the bump in legendary drops was noticeable, both from being in T3 and probably just from the sheer speed.

Got a Serpent's Stalker which is apparently the 2nd most rare wand, not sure if it's worth running a Hydra build to use it.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:42 PM   #2772
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, managed to get a few hours in just now.

Was never sure if I was going to get called away at a moment's notice, so I did it solo.

Almost entirely rifts, with the odd bounty for giggles.

Had 4 legendaries drop in a single rift, so I think I might have to complain more often, it seems to work.

Here is my current WD, in case anyone has some advice.

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/.../hero/48053212

Just realized that her stats jumped up way past my wizard now. I might have to try some torment soon.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:51 PM   #2773
DatSOOKin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Here is my Wizard. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm still trying to get a Mirrorball, but I'm really liking the build at the moment.
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/.../hero/48203110
DatSOOKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:32 PM   #2774
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatSOOKin View Post
Here is my Wizard. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm still trying to get a Mirrorball, but I'm really liking the build at the moment.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/D.../hero/17154497

Your build is pretty similar to mine. Ever try swapping out black hole for meteor shower so you have something that does damage while you wait for archon cooldown to reset? Just a thought. I found that dominance passive let's me tank most everything up to certain t4 mobs.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2014, 12:11 AM   #2775
photon

Exp:

Hm yeah I use Deflection rune on Magic Weapon which makes a 3 second shield that absorbs 8500 damage, but I could switch to Dominance and then get another 10% from magic weapon, but it depends on killing so if it takes longer to kill an elite pack then the effect will wear off pretty good won't it?
Old 05-19-2014, 12:52 AM   #2776
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
I am guessing you don't have a ton of gold, but first priority would be upgrading the gems.

I was really stingy with my gold but then thought of it this way. Its only a 1 time buy. As soon as you have the best gems you wont ever need to make anymore (unless you have alts).

You have the boots I have been trying to get for a really long time.

If you have Aughild's set, I would recommend crafting that. The set bonus for it is very good for killing elite packs. I use the shoulders and bracers.

Not much more to recommend, just need to find better gear that's all.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #2777
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Quote:
OK, here is my humble opinion!

You have built up a pretty nice bonus for fire damage (+58%) yet you are not fully leveraging it.
  1. Your weapon does "black" damage, meaning physical. Find a fire based weapon, and several come with further + damage to fire skills. Try not to roll Vitality on a weapon. Way better places to gain it. There are plans for a Devastator mace that will start with a fire damage roll AND +fire damage skill. EDIT, please note, the +fire damage would NOT stack on the basic weapon damage type as noted here (apparently). See my post a couple below this.
  2. Your black hole ruin is using arcane. Have you tried the "Blazar" rune instead (fire based)?
  3. Your right hand ring has a general damage roll on it (62-134) but it may also be beneficial if you had more +fire damage. This is a lower priority change that you might consider.
  4. As Swayze noted, upgrade your gems.
  5. Although the belt is a nice legacy Witching Hour, if you could find a Tals belt (for example) you might have slightly lower DPS, but it also adds another +5 elemental damage to all four types for the second piece as you are already wearing the ammy.
  6. You might consider swapping out Glass Cannon for Conflagration. Again, your sheet DPS may go down, but your damage should remain similar. Additionally, if you play in groups, the OTHER players will benefit from this as their chance to Crit goes up as well. Lastly, you will boost your survivability.
  7. The Puzzle ring is very limiting. I am not sure how many legendaries you are finding because of it (alone), but your killing speed is severely hampered by it. A fire Stone of Jordan, which also will add decent +damage to elites should be something to look for, otherwise a good damage based ring is a better option. Like a weapon, this is where you are getting your power from. Vitality shouldn't be as much of a concern here. Many people are also going with Royal Ring of Grandeur, found in Act 1 Horodric Caches, as you can then start utilizing more set bonuses. I use one on two different characters right now.
  8. Keep your eye out for a Cindercoat, especially a three socketed one. if you are going for a Fire build... go big or go home! These can be found if you are gambling shards with Kadala.
  9. Pull up your pants. As you have one piece of Vyr's, getting the pants would be a nice +500 Int bonus. Once you have attained a Cindercoat, this would be the next thing I would gamble shards on.
  10. Another thought for weapons MIGHT be to use a Maximus. Like a Devastator, it also has fire damage as its default type, and plus fire skills damage. Also has the benefit of calling up a useful Demonic Slave that works as a good tank. Probably the best weapon for an Enchantress, it would be interesting to see how it would work out if both you and the enchantress had one. Yes you give up the orb.... but it would be fun! EDIT, please note, the +fire damage would NOT stack on the basic weapon damage type, see my post a couple below this.
  11. Looks like you can reroll a stat on your shoulders. This one took a while to check as Blizzard doesn't have those on its website! But I have some, and it looks like you can reroll the Familiar damage (which does very little) to something more useful, even Black Hole damage.
I am sure I am missing other aspects, but this should give you some food for thought. Good luck!
Edit... not sure a Mirrorball would be all that beneficial to your build over the Triumverate.
Edit 2, Arcane orb/Scorch could be far more effective than Black Hole when all is said and done. Even one of the Meteor skills may be. You aren't using Arcane at all really, so an Arcane spender like one of these may work well. Play around.

Last edited by Shawnski; 05-19-2014 at 03:23 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shawnski For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #2778
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Had 2 of the exact same legendary sword drop back to back, followed by several more useless 2 handers. All the while I've never seen a single set item for my monk or even a monk specific legendary, yet all my friends are rocking in 2 or even 3 sets. Feels like it's almost impossible for me to catch up to them
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #2779
DatSOOKin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnski View Post
OK, here is my humble opinion!

You have built up a pretty nice bonus for fire damage (+58%) yet you are not fully leveraging it.
  1. Your weapon does "black" damage, meaning physical. Find a fire based weapon, and several come with further + damage to fire skills. Try not to roll Vitality on a weapon. Way better places to gain it. There are plans for a Devastator mace that will start with a fire damage roll AND +fire damage skill.
  2. Your black hole ruin is using arcane. Have you tried the "Blazar" rune instead (fire based)?
  3. Your right hand ring has a general damage roll on it (62-134) but it may also be beneficial if you had more +fire damage. This is a lower priority change that you might consider.
  4. As Swayze noted, upgrade your gems.
  5. Although the belt is a nice legacy Witching Hour, if you could find a Tals belt (for example) you might have slightly lower DPS, but it also adds another +5 elemental damage to all four types for the second piece as you are already wearing the ammy.
  6. You might consider swapping out Glass Cannon for Conflagration. Again, your sheet DPS may go down, but your damage should remain similar. Additionally, if you play in groups, the OTHER players will benefit from this as their chance to Crit goes up as well. Lastly, you will boost your survivability.
  7. The Puzzle ring is very limiting. I am not sure how many legendaries you are finding because of it (alone), but your killing speed is severely hampered by it. A fire Stone of Jordan, which also will add decent +damage to elites should be something to look for, otherwise a good damage based ring is a better option. Like a weapon, this is where you are getting your power from. Vitality shouldn't be as much of a concern here. Many people are also going with Royal Ring of Grandeur, found in Act 1 Horodric Caches, as you can then start utilizing more set bonuses. I use one on two different characters right now.
  8. Keep your eye out for a Cindercoat, especially a three socketed one. if you are going for a Fire build... go big or go home! These can be found if you are gambling shards with Kadala.
  9. Pull up your pants. As you have one piece of Vyr's, getting the pants would be a nice +500 Int bonus. Once you have attained a Cindercoat, this would be the next thing I would gamble shards on.
  10. Another thought for weapons MIGHT be to use a Maximus. Like a Devastator, it also has fire damage as its default type, and plus fire skills damage. Also has the benefit of calling up a useful Demonic Slave that works as a good tank. Probably the best weapon for an Enchantress, it would be interesting to see how it would work out if both you and the enchantress had one. Yes you give up the orb.... but it would be fun!
  11. Looks like you can reroll a stat on your shoulders. This one took a while to check as Blizzard doesn't have those on its website! But I have some, and it looks like you can reroll the Familiar damage (which does very little) to something more useful, even Black Hole damage.
I am sure I am missing other aspects, but this should give you some food for thought. Good luck!
Edit... not sure a Mirrorball would be all that beneficial to your build over the Triumverate.
Edit 2, Arcane orb/Scorch could be far more effective than Black Hole when all is said and done. Even one of the Meteor skills may be. You aren't using Arcane at all really, so an Arcane spender like one of these may work well. Play around.
First off, thanks a lot for the advice! I appreciate what you guys have said. Just a few things I want to reply too;
1) Back when I played about a year ago or so, black damage weapons were the best because they incorporated all the types of %damage modifiers into one; aka even if i had %poison damage it worked towards my fire skills too. Is this not the case anymore? I have made a Devastator mace but my sheet DPS dropped a lot and I also really like the Mad Monarchs passive explosion. But maybe I'll use the Devastator instead if you guys think that's best.
2) I use the arcane black hole simply for the added damage % for 5 seconds. Maybe on second thought I'll swap it out for meteor shower or something.
6) Did not realize conflagration benefits party members too, good to know!
7) Yeah I spent a few hours farming cubes in a split group, but no luck yet on the grandeur ring. It's definitely one of my priorities though.
DatSOOKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #2780
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

As far as I know, the "black damage" thing was fixed (or nerfed depending on your perspective) by Blizz a while back.

Now, that said, I did just do some reading and it appears that I blew it on one aspect.

The damage type of a weapon DOES NOT get impacted by any elemental damage bonus to skills. Although I could have sworn I saw a jump in my killing ability when I switched to an Arcane damage type (for my sorc), it doesn't actually work that way.

The ONLY place (apparently) that is impacted by the +% <elemental damage> for skills, is when you have a skill that is X% of weapon damage based.

I.E. let's say a skill does 500% weapon damage as fire. You have +50% damage on fire skills. You result is that the skill now does 750% (500%*1.5) weapon damage.

Sorry for any confusion. I will update my previous post.

I am going to link the post that discusses this, so you see where I am getting this from ....

Quote:
Elemental Affixes and Weapon Elements

How does your X - Y <element> Damage affix on your weapon interact with your <Element> skills deal X% more damage affixes?

The short answer --
It has no effect what-so-ever

Last edited by Shawnski; 05-19-2014 at 03:33 PM.