Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2016, 06:58 AM   #2721
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Fundamental difference is supply this time around.

The markets are acting irrationally, in my opinion. A slight increase in U.S. rigs does nothing in the grand scheme to offset the declines occurring right now.

You need to get back to the level of rigs we were at pre-crash, and stay there for 2 years straight to get back to adding meaningful amounts of production.

Everything else right now, in my opinion, is typical media sensationalism backed up by little to no actual analysis.
I think it's USD strength providing most of the headwind for oil price. It's hard to imagine an entire market watching tv and acting irrationally over an extended period.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #2722
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oil hovering at $40. It briefly dipped below $40 this morning. News suggest oil oversupply and rigs coming back online are not helping. Looks like single meat for days.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #2723
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Oil hovering at $40. It briefly dipped below $40 this morning. News suggest oil oversupply and rigs coming back online are not helping. Looks like single meat for days.
US shale drillers have apparently improved more than expected: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...-a-standstill/

Quote:
North America's hydraulic frackers are cutting costs so fast that most can now produce at prices far below levels needed to fund the Saudi welfare state and its military machine, or to cover Opec budget deficits.
Quote:
The 'decline rate' of production over the first four months of each well was 90pc a decade ago for US frackers. This dropped to 31pc in 2012. It is now 18pc. Drillers have learned how to extract more.

Mr Sheffield said the Permian is as bountiful as the giant Ghawar field in Saudi Arabia and can expand from 2m to 5m barrels a day even if the price of oil never rises above $55.

His company has cut production costs by 26pc over the last year alone. Pioneer is now so efficient that it is already adding five new rigs despite today's depressed prices in the low $40s. It is not alone.

The Baker Hughes count of North America oil rigs has risen for seven out of the last eight weeks to 374, and this understates the effect. Multi-pad drilling means that three wells are now routinely drilled from the same rig, and sometimes six or more. Average well productivity has risen fivefold in the Permian since early 2012.
Bad news for Alberta, unfortunately:

Quote:
The losers are high-cost projects elsewhere: off the coast of Nigeria and Angola, in the Arctic, or the oil sands of Canada and Venezuela's Orinoco basin. Roughly 4m to 5m barrels a day of future supply has been shelved around the world.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:42 AM   #2724
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Scott Sheffield, the outgoing chief of Pioneer Natural Resources, threw down the gauntlet last week - with some poetic licence - claiming that his pre-tax production costs in the Permian Basin of West Texas have fallen to $2.25 a barrel.
Quote:
Consultants Wood Mackenzie estimated in a recent report that full-cycle break-even costs have fallen to $37 at Wolfcamp and Bone Spring in the Permian, and to $35 in the South Central Oklahoma Oil Province. The majority of US shale fields are now viable at $60.
If shale can produce profitable oil in this environment can't we pretty much call it a day for any hope of a recovery?

Or maybe everyone will realize that limiting production and driving prices up is now the best play for everyone since the Saudi's won't be able to drive Shale out like they intended? Wishful thinking??

Last edited by polak; 08-02-2016 at 09:52 AM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #2725
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Or maybe everyone will realize that limiting production and driving prices up is now the best play for everyone since the Saudi's won't be able to drive Shale out like they intended? Wishful thinking??
So if guys in the US can make money at $45/bbl, and the Saudis cut 1 bbl of production to attempt to drive prices higher, why isn't that just replaced by 1/bbl of US shale oil?

I know once that happens enough you're starting to hit the higher cost shale barrels, but that is maybe $60, and now the Saudis are seeing less oil revenue than ever before at their decreased volumes.

I don't see how they do anything but pump for cash.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:18 AM   #2726
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah I don't disagree. Everyone is going to flood the market. Is this the "put a fork in them" moment for any oil sands expansion?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:21 AM   #2727
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I think it's USD strength providing most of the headwind for oil price. It's hard to imagine an entire market watching tv and acting irrationally over an extended period.
Tertzakian lays it out better than I ever could.

http://business.financialpost.com/ne..._lsa=c106-3ee7

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:34 AM   #2728
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Tertzakian lays it out better than I ever could.

http://business.financialpost.com/ne..._lsa=c106-3ee7
That would explain why oil stocks have diverged from the price of oil. Also crude inventories were all down on today's report.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:53 PM   #2729
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
That would explain why oil stocks have diverged from the price of oil. Also crude inventories were all down on today's report.
The EIA report today was 1.4 Mbbl increase to crude stocks and distilate was up by 1.2Mbbl.

The gasoline draw of 3.3Mbbl was the good news that drove price up today.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2016, 01:05 PM   #2730
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...2016-1.3706074

The good news out of this may be that this could free up future cash for some producers when they do want to drill again. Currently it is being spent in getting out of contracts. This will also help reduce costs long term as they may be able to negotiate better rig rates when they do decide to drill again. Or maybe not.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #2731
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...2016-1.3706074

The good news out of this may be that this could free up future cash for some producers when they do want to drill again. Currently it is being spent in getting out of contracts. This will also help reduce costs long term as they may be able to negotiate better rig rates when they do decide to drill again. Or maybe not.
It won't change future rig costs and it doesn't really free up cash as if they were paying not to drill it means the economics would be pretty bad on the wells that were originally planned to be drilled
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:27 PM   #2732
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

All that sounds like is a good way for Trinidad to ensure they're one of the last options looked at for future business. However, when the choice is potentially impact future business or shut the doors now it's probably a pretty easy choice.

Not that I know anything about Trinidad's situation, just broad assumption on the state of drilling companies right now.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:57 PM   #2733
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
US shale drillers have apparently improved more than expected: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...-a-standstill/

Bad news for Alberta, unfortunately:
Yes bad news for Alberta.

The politicians here make it impossible for oil sands to be more efficient, carbon taxes, royalties, anti pipeline. They'll never get their costs down. In the mean time u.s. producers are getting more and more efficient and taking over the market while canada sits and twittles its thumbs. Canada is it's own worst enemy.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2016, 07:44 AM   #2734
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
All that sounds like is a good way for Trinidad to ensure they're one of the last options looked at for future business. However, when the choice is potentially impact future business or shut the doors now it's probably a pretty easy choice.

Not that I know anything about Trinidad's situation, just broad assumption on the state of drilling companies right now.
I'm not sure I follow.
This story is about producers paying to get out of commitments they made to use those rigs (often the rigs are purpose built for the producer, hence the commitment).
Why would this make Trinidad a bad option to do future business with.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #2735
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It won't change future rig costs and it doesn't really free up cash as if they were paying not to drill it means the economics would be pretty bad on the wells that were originally planned to be drilled
Not necessarily true I would argue. I would expect that day rates today are much lower than when these contracts were signed so you could drill today for less than you could last year or two years ago. If rig rates aren't going down then the industry will fail in their goals of reducing cost. All other services have taken a hit on rates, I have to think drillers have too.

A lot of discussion has focused on the oil sands and rightfully so but there is also the conventional industry in Canada. I don't think costs have come down enough yet but we do stand a decent chance of competing with shale oil (we produce it too) if we can achieve this. There may be a glimmer of hope for that side of the industry.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #2736
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Not necessarily true I would argue. I would expect that day rates today are much lower than when these contracts were signed so you could drill today for less than you could last year or two years ago. If rig rates aren't going down then the industry will fail in their goals of reducing cost. All other services have taken a hit on rates, I have to think drillers have too.

A lot of discussion has focused on the oil sands and rightfully so but there is also the conventional industry in Canada. I don't think costs have come down enough yet but we do stand a decent chance of competing with shale oil (we produce it too) if we can achieve this. There may be a glimmer of hope for that side of the industry.
You don't think costs have come down enough on the service side? Or on the Owner side?

You literally have service companies working for free/at a loss.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #2737
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
You don't think costs have come down enough on the service side? Or on the Owner side?

You literally have service companies working for free/at a loss.
I'm well aware of that, I work for one. Owner side costs have come done largely on the backs of the service side. Service side is struggling to adjust their cost structure as they do not have nearly the leverage or ability that the producers do. Not sure where the solution lies, just that we need to find a way for everyone to get cost in line with the new price reality. It won't be easy.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:06 PM   #2738
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

https://twitter.com/CityofVancouver/...50343176417280

well......
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:14 PM   #2739
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Mayor of Vancouver is no good.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:20 PM   #2740
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
I've never understood the idea of "BC, AB and SK should separate!". As much as I don't see any monetary benefit we have by being part of Canada, BC is against pipelines (and Alberta's economy) as much as anyone.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post: