Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 10:26 PM   #2661
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
To me it is because Nenshi has hollier than thou habit of calling out other politicians like he can always do a better job than they could. A quick google on "Nanshi blast", I found he blasted:

AB government for rejecting Snowtember relief
Ban on Niqab
Immigration minister on Syrian refugee crisis
Prentic over early election

Only the first one relates to city politics and the rest is just his own opinion. He has the right to express them but other people have the right to judge his behavior as well.
Presumably you feel the same way about Mr. Harper and his "holier than thou" attitude when he comments about matters he has no say in like the Alberta NDP government or the Liberal Ontario government.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:18 PM   #2662
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
Presumably you feel the same way about Mr. Harper and his "holier than thou" attitude when he comments about matters he has no say in like the Alberta NDP government or the Liberal Ontario government.
Politicians all like to argue their points to death. With Harper and some other guys, I feel like I'm being badgered which is one thing. With Nenshi and Redford, they dis their dissidents which is another.

Nenshi still thinks he's in MRU speaking to his students when he talks to the people of Calgary. That's my opinion of him.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:00 AM   #2663
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed View Post
Why do some people in Calgary even so much as mildly dislike Mayor Nenshi? Is it just that he defeated Dr. No?

Maybe it's just because I live in Toronto where the people here toss the worst scum they can find into City Hall, but I am completely bewildered by Nenshi hate.
I used to like the guy, even voted for him twice. But I've noticed an air of smugness to him that's starting to rub me the wrong way. Plus, I hate his lackeys who do his social media. Those guys are the real problem, as they're arrogant and have a holier than thou attitude when responding to comments that they don't agree with.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2015, 12:20 AM   #2664
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I used to like the guy, even voted for him twice. But I've noticed an air of smugness to him that's starting to rub me the wrong way. Plus, I hate his lackeys who do his social media. Those guys are the real problem, as they're arrogant and have a holier than thou attitude when responding to comments that they don't agree with.
Example?

If you're talking twitter, the mayor himself is the only one that ever is responding. Facebook, he has staff respond most of the time, but they identify themselves as such.

Calgarypuck? I used to be his "lackey" and tried to answer questions on my AMA here as respectfully as possible. Now Daorcey does it. What's your issue?

Last edited by Bunk; 10-02-2015 at 12:24 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bunk For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2015, 12:42 AM   #2665
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

My cousin tweeted a complaint about the bike lanes and how there was no one using it, and as a response from the mayors office, they posted some data about usage and stuff to refute my cousin's claim, which I had no problems with. But then after the data, they post a snide remark stating "reading facts is fun!" Come on man, you represent the city of Calgary. Why talk down to your citizens like that? What are we? Some tweener from high school?
Old 10-02-2015, 12:44 AM   #2666
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Nenshi for the most part, but he really should shut his mouth when it comes to other levels of government. I get that he's entitled to his opinion, but he just comes off as unprofessional when he does that.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:54 AM   #2667
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I like Nenshi for the most part, but he really should shut his mouth when it comes to other levels of government. I get that he's entitled to his opinion, but he just comes off as unprofessional when he does that.
Why? He usually comments on issues that end up affecting what happens at the local level - for example how our police service deals with trying to prevent radicalization (In the most recent example saying that things like c-24 and the rhetoric around Niqabs badly undermine that effort).

Last edited by Bunk; 10-02-2015 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:03 AM   #2668
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Feom time to time he can get a bit pissy. I give him a bit of a pass just given the sheer volume of abuse hurled at him through that medium and others.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:28 AM   #2669
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My cousin tweeted a complaint about the bike lanes and how there was no one using it, and as a response from the mayors office, they posted some data about usage and stuff to refute my cousin's claim, which I had no problems with. But then after the data, they post a snide remark stating "reading facts is fun!" Come on man, you represent the city of Calgary. Why talk down to your citizens like that? What are we? Some tweener from high school?
They can bring out all the "facts" they want. But everyday what I see are blocks and blocks of vehicles lined up bumper to bumper, and one or two bikes in the bicycle lanes. Seems like a poor use of the road way for the average person.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:00 AM   #2670
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
But then after the data, they post a snide remark stating "reading facts is fun!"
Nenshi should read the facts that the secondary suite bills had been voted down by other councillors who knows how many times. And he still wanted to push it through in various ways or forms including his last ditch plebiscite attempt.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but Nenshi makes you feel like if yours is different from his, you are either unworthy of them or you are just flat out wrong.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2015, 08:04 AM   #2671
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Advanced polls are open next week, I should look into candidates in my area soon.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:09 AM   #2672
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
This is me with him, I voted for him the first time around, but not the second time around.

To me, his arrogance and the way he handles people is off putting.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 10-02-2015, 08:36 AM   #2673
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, for those of us living in Calgary-Confederation here's an interesting thing to chew on.

Len Webber, your local Conservative candidate when asked by the Campaign Life Coalition "Are there any circumstances under which you believe a woman should have access to abortion?" he answered "No"

That's right, so in the case of rape or incest (or both) he would deny that woman the right to an abortion. This is a view held by less than 6% of Canadians. That's like Larry Heather territory.

http://www.campaignlifecoalition.com...cords&id=11690

Old 10-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #2674
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Odd...I know Len and never would have thought these beliefs are ones he held. If true I could not ever support such a stance though I'm not in his riding so it's moot as far as that goes.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #2675
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

The CPC are not going to reopen the abortion debate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2015, 09:11 AM   #2676
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyways, I've stated my opinion on Nenshi and leave it at that. My apologies for derailing the thread. Back to the federal election discussions :-).
Old 10-02-2015, 09:20 AM   #2677
Dogbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
The CPC are not going to reopen the abortion debate.
If Canada gives the Tories another majority after all that's happened, the message we'd be sending is, "You can literally get away with anything." There's no telling what they'd try.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dogbert For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2015, 09:59 AM   #2678
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
So, for those of us living in Calgary-Confederation here's an interesting thing to chew on.

Len Webber, your local Conservative candidate when asked by the Campaign Life Coalition "Are there any circumstances under which you believe a woman should have access to abortion?" he answered "No"

That's right, so in the case of rape or incest (or both) he would deny that woman the right to an abortion. This is a view held by less than 6% of Canadians. That's like Larry Heather territory.

http://www.campaignlifecoalition.com...cords&id=11690

This is surprising and concerning, but much like the niqab debate, it's a wedge issue that will detract from meaningful discussion during this campaign.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #2679
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
They can bring out all the "facts" they want. But everyday what I see are blocks and blocks of vehicles lined up bumper to bumper, and one or two bikes in the bicycle lanes. Seems like a poor use of the road way for the average person.
Are you implying that the facts are wrong?
Old 10-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #2680
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
This is surprising and concerning, but much like the niqab debate, it's a wedge issue that will detract from meaningful discussion during this campaign.
Except whereas the Niqab issue has affected exactly two people, this issue affects a lot more.