Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 08:35 AM   #2661
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the link:

The survey does show the vast majority, between 68 and 73 per cent of respondents, are OK with the city providing either land, cash, a loan or some other sort of financial arrangement for the new facility.
The one caveat: it cannot increase taxes. Once tax increases are mentioned, support for the arrangement craters to 24 per cent.
Support is only lukewarm for providing an interest-free loan (41 per cent) and the city providing a significant financial contribution based on the economic benefit of a new arena (44 per cent).

The 44% figure is higher than I would have predicted. I wonder if CRL was even mentioned in the survey.

On the taxes - I suspect if you put "tax increases" in the abstract on any survey question about any topic, you will get a huge drop in support. But what if the average tax increase was actually calculated and inserted? I bet a lot of "no taxes" people would probably be OK with a tiny increase. What if their taxes go up $20? Is that the hill to die on?
Old 09-27-2017, 08:47 AM   #2662
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
On the taxes - I suspect if you put "tax increases" in the abstract on any survey question about any topic, you will get a huge drop in support. But what if the average tax increase was actually calculated and inserted? I bet a lot of "no taxes" people would probably be OK with a tiny increase. What if their taxes go up $20? Is that the hill to die on?
It's the old death-by-a-thousand-papercuts adage. If they go up $20 this one time? Maybe. Will this be the only excuse they find to notch up taxes "only" $20 after establishing precedent that as long as it's done in chunks of $20 or less it'll be viewed as tolerable? Absolutely not.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:25 AM   #2663
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
From the link:

The survey does show the vast majority, between 68 and 73 per cent of respondents, are OK with the city providing either land, cash, a loan or some other sort of financial arrangement for the new facility.
The one caveat: it cannot increase taxes. Once tax increases are mentioned, support for the arrangement craters to 24 per cent.
Support is only lukewarm for providing an interest-free loan (41 per cent) and the city providing a significant financial contribution based on the economic benefit of a new arena (44 per cent).

The 44% figure is higher than I would have predicted. I wonder if CRL was even mentioned in the survey.

If the city forked over 300 million dollars, no strings attached, spread that over 500,000 private dwellings in the city and you've got a one time payment of approximately $600 per dwelling. Of course, you could spread the pain out over years, but then the city might be paying interest on that too.

Flames already get 20k a year from my family. Not really interested in giving them a portion of my tax too.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #2664
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
If the city forked over 300 million dollars, no strings attached, spread that over 500,000 private dwellings in the city and you've got a one time payment of approximately $600 per dwelling. Of course, you could spread the pain out over years, but then the city might be paying interest on that too.

Flames already get 20k a year from my family. Not really interested in giving them a portion of my tax too.
Divide that by three, because "dwellings" only provide about 30% of the city revenue.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #2665
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
770 mentioned today that there was a new survey out that showed a majority of Calgarians support building a new arena, but that the city should not providing any funding beyond land and a loan that should be repaid with interest. They mentioned the name of the survey group, but it escapes me.

Anyone have a link to that survey? I can't seem to find it.
Which is pretty much exactly what the City offered except I'm unclear on whether they included interest.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Old 09-27-2017, 11:07 AM   #2666
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Which is pretty much exactly what the City offered except I'm unclear on whether they included interest.
No, it isn't... the City offered them $185,000,000.00 straight up (Property Taxes are not payments on a loan).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #2667
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
No, it isn't... the City offered them $185,000,000.00 straight up (Property Taxes are not payments on a loan).
The city offered to continue the current rate of subsidies to the team for the next 35 years. You can't discount the change from the current agreement but you also count discount the fact that a current subsidy exists either.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 12:54 PM   #2668
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Hockey News article by Ken Campbell:

KING’S PORTRAYAL OF FLAMES AS FINANCIAL BOTTOM-FEEDER MISLEADING, DISINGENUOUS

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...g-disingenuous
Old 09-27-2017, 01:50 PM   #2669
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
The Hockey News article by Ken Campbell:

KING’S PORTRAYAL OF FLAMES AS FINANCIAL BOTTOM-FEEDER MISLEADING, DISINGENUOUS

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...g-disingenuous
Whoever wrote the title for the article is an idiot. King never said the Flames were a bottom feeder, but obvious since they are receivers of revenue sharing they are not one of the top revenue teams in the league. Most likely somewhere between 10-15 in the league.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #2670
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Whoever wrote the title for the article is an idiot. King never said the Flames were a bottom feeder, but obvious since they are receivers of revenue sharing they are not one of the top revenue teams in the league. Most likely somewhere between 10-15 in the league.
I think the title probably communicates the sentiment that King was attempting to convey—that the Flames struggle to make money and are not among the top-earning teams in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #2671
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think the title probably conveys the sentiment that King was attempting to convey—that the Flames struggle to make money and are not among the top-earning teams in the NHL.
Well it doesn't. It's trying to claim King is going around trying to convince people that the Flames are a bottom 10 revenue team. What else would bottom feeder mean? Just shows the biases of the writer or editor.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #2672
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He specifically said the flames were recipients of revenue sharing to debunk the idea that they were profitabld
Old 09-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #2673
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look at the headline the Herald used: Amid arena debate, Calgary Flames becomes a have-not market in the NHL, says King

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-nhl-says-king

He may not have said that the Flames are struggling, but he certainly implied it.

Calgary is the sixth-smallest market in the NHL (only Ottawa, Edmonton, Carolina, Buffalo, and Winnipeg are smaller -- only Winnipeg is significantly smaller). It's actually shocking that the Flames have remained a Top-10 revenue team all this time.

They managed to remain a top-10 revenue team for over a decade while playing in one of the smallest markets and one of the oldest buildings, while missing the playoffs in 6 of the last 8 seasons and only winning one playoff round in the last 12 seasons. If anything, giving them corporate welfare should be an insult to them.

Last edited by getbak; 09-27-2017 at 04:03 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to getbak For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 03:14 PM   #2674
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys, this Hockey News Maple Leafs writer from Sudbury clearly has biases. His agenda is without a doubt pro...

Nenshi?
Old 09-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #2675
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Guys, this Hockey News Maple Leafs writer from Sudbury clearly has biases. His agenda is without a doubt pro...

Nenshi?
Must be part of the Druh Cruh.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #2676
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
He specifically said the flames were recipients of revenue sharing to debunk the idea that they were profitabld
Does receiving revenue sharing mean an NHL franchise is unprofitable though? I'll admit I haven't looked into it much, but I thought the way the league shared its revenues as defined by the CBA was by using a formula that saw the top ten revenue generating teams paying a share to the bottom 10 revenue sharing teams. I've never heard of it being based on whether or not those bottom 10 teams were in the red or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 04:20 PM   #2677
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
From the link:

Well its like what security people call a "salami attack". It adds up eventually, if the Flames are asking for 400 million, that's 400 million pulled out of the local economy that would be spent elsewhere or maybe not spent at all.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #2678
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Does receiving revenue sharing mean an NHL franchise is unprofitable though? I'll admit I haven't looked into it much, but I thought the way the league shared its revenues as defined by the CBA was by using a formula that saw the top ten revenue generating teams paying a share to the bottom 10 revenue sharing teams. I've never heard of it being based on whether or not those bottom 10 teams were in the red or not.
That's what I think as well. Revenue sharing is relative to the earnings of the other teams. The Flames may be in the black but 10 other teams are earning more.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rollin22x For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 04:40 PM   #2679
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The bottom 15 teams in the NHL receive revenue sharing from the top 10 teams So receiving revenue sharing doesn't mean not profitable and doesn't mean it's in the bottom quartile or third in revenue.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #2680
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
i don't think it does either, its just the insinuation that kk was making in response to the idea that the flames make money hand over fist. the implication of receiving equalization payments to your layman(such as myself until i just learned otherwise) is that they must not be in good shape to have to be getting money from the league, when the reality is that they still make money, just not in the top 10
The Following User Says Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread