Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2024, 09:34 PM   #2641
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Even so, it’s a pretence at analysis. The equivalent would be maybe Eric Francis. Who may be a gadfly but he’s at least more intellectually honest and pretty free with criticisms.

I don’t even know who does Oiler radio PBP. It used to be Jack Michaels, and I dare anyone to prefer him over Wills (and I don’t even like Wills).
I’d think Francis and Spector would be a better comparison, Honestly not plugged into the Calgary scene to know if there’s anyone like staples, for your sake I hope not.
Whynotnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 10:07 PM   #2642
Rising_Oil_Prices
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
I’d think Francis and Spector would be a better comparison, Honestly not plugged into the Calgary scene to know if there’s anyone like staples, for your sake I hope not.
Wills isn’t just a play by play guy, he’s on a show called flames talk every weekday. He’s constantly promoting the team even when they are terrible. Staples is constantly promoting his team even when they aren’t as good as he thinks they are. It’s a fair comparison of two homer media guys.
Rising_Oil_Prices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 10:23 PM   #2643
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Derek Wills is a homer, that is true. But he isn't even in the same universe as Staples.

Derek Wills stands up for the Flames, even when he shouldn't (hardly the worst crime one might commit). Staples spews utter nonsense - complete knob-gobbling, chin-drooling, nonsense. Not even a blind Oiler fan could miss the difference.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 10:39 PM   #2644
Rising_Oil_Prices
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Derek Wills is a homer, that is true. But he isn't even in the same universe as Staples.

Derek Wills stands up for the Flames, even when he shouldn't (hardly the worst crime one might commit). Staples spews utter nonsense - complete knob-gobbling, chin-drooling, nonsense. Not even a blind Oiler fan could miss the difference.
I may be blind, but my ears can hear good homer commentating when I hear it. In similar fashion to always criticizing the oilers team when the flames are literally a hot mess and will be for the foreseeable future, you may want to look to your own media bias before you criticize others. Saying it’s not a fair comparison is beyond me… they’re two media figures commenting on their local hockey clubs.. how is that not a fair comparison?
Rising_Oil_Prices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 10:51 PM   #2645
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Oil_Prices View Post
I may be blind, but my ears can hear good homer commentating when I hear it. In similar fashion to always criticizing the oilers team when the flames are literally a hot mess and will be for the foreseeable future, you may want to look to your own media bias before you criticize others. Saying it’s not a fair comparison is beyond me… they’re two media figures commenting on their local hockey clubs.. how is that not a fair comparison?
The comparison is fair, it's coming to the conclusion that they are similar that warrants criticism. Wills is a homer. Staples is a 50 year old fan-boy-wanker.

But hey, if you enjoy reading his ####, knock yourself out.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 10:52 PM   #2646
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
“Two media guys”. Laughable.

One is a PBP guy with a guest spot on a radio show. A PBP guy who was parachuted in a few years back and has no real connection with the team. No one expects analysis from him at all. The other is paid to write column length analysis about the team.

If you can’t see the difference that’s on you.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 10:03 AM   #2647
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Staples is a journalist. Wills is not.
both suck

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 10:10 AM   #2648
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
both suck
I understand why Wills handles this team with baby gloves. He used to ride the plane with the team. It's pretty tough to sit near a player you just #### on.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 10:19 AM   #2649
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 10:22 AM   #2650
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I understand why Wills handles this team with baby gloves. He used to ride the plane with the team. It's pretty tough to sit near a player you just #### on.
I think it's part of the PBP gig to not be overly critical. Peter Maher never really criticized the Flames. If his color guy or post game show host criticized the team or their effort he would nod his head and agree but he would never go out of his way to put the team in a bad light and he called the games during some really, really lean years. Mike Rogers started getting overly critical with the Flames and they let him go so it's a matter of job preservation and not crossing that line of fanning the flames during bad times.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 10:30 AM   #2651
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think it's part of the PBP gig to not be overly critical. Peter Maher never really criticized the Flames. If his color guy or post game show host criticized the team or their effort he would nod his head and agree but he would never go out of his way to put the team in a bad light and he called the games during some really, really lean years. Mike Rogers started getting overly critical with the Flames and they let him go so it's a matter of job preservation and not crossing that line of fanning the flames during bad times.
The only critical stuff Maher ever said that I can recall wasn't even from him - it was him repeating what coaches were saying.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 10:41 AM   #2652
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Outside of that he is a dick

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 11:08 AM   #2653
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

His (Staples') "articles" are also glorified hockey forum posts.

That the EJ displays its name above them is an indictment on the credibility of EJ as a source of journalism. But given that it's Edmonton, the standards there are probably not what they are in a bigger and more relevant city with a more educated populous.

Wills is a big time homer. But even he has boundaries that he will keep within, and the craziest thing he will go out on a reach to predict is the Flames making the playoffs when they're 8 points out, and that Markstrom is still being elite (and turns out he may have been right on that one, but you know what they say about broken clocks).

Wills can be a staunch defender who will stick to his narrative to a fault. but the Edmonton media guys are on the offensive year in/year out to make the most profoundly stupid statements that glorify a team that has displayed historic levels of ineptitude and accomplished nothing with a hand that most franchises will never be dealt. And they need to make sure every one, everywhere in the hockey world hears about it.

That's insufferable behaviour that deserves ridicule given that they're incorrect on a multitude of things and never adjust or own up to how they wildly overshot the year prior. I don't have enough unflattering descriptors for bozos like Specitor and Staples. At least Stauffer tells it like it is on the broadcast.

Francis is probably the worse culprit for this market that could even remotely compare to the Edmonton water carriers.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 01:36 PM   #2654
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
That the EJ displays its name above them is an indictment on the credibility of EJ as a source of journalism. But given that it's Edmonton, the standards there are probably not what they are in a bigger and more relevant city with a more educated populous.
Don't kid yourself. This is what journalism has become, everywhere.

Newspapers used to be supported by classified advertising. Since that collapsed, they have let go thousands of people who knew how to do their jobs, and kept on the people who would work for low wages because they couldn't find anything better.

Staples is what you get when you scrape the bottom of the barrel just to stay in business.
Old 04-15-2024, 01:47 PM   #2655
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
NG fan of a NG team defending the NG media sack of donkey dix, who writes NG fellating articles about an extremely NG team. This is NG turned all the way up to 11.
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 01:50 PM   #2656
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

Good, let the loser mentality set in, good call Edmonton Journal:

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/l...dmonton-oilers
Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 01:55 PM   #2657
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

No good can possibly come out of No Gooding.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 02:05 PM   #2658
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler View Post

LOL trying to justify the loss as a positive. Never change, Edmonton talking heads..

I'm looking forward to the "losing in the first round was probably best for the Oilers" in a couple weeks, citing something like how the motivation to get the job done will lead to the golden boys re-signing at home discounts to 'finish what they started'.

The funniest part is it's not out of the realm of possibility that we see an article along those lines.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 02:11 PM   #2659
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler View Post

Holy smokes there really must be something in the water up there. Losing to a rival team and being eliminated from finishing 1st in the division is for the best because you don't want to have the last three games of an 82 game season to have meaning. Nothing strokes the confidence level like getting swept in the regular season by the division winning team.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 02:21 PM   #2660
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well the obvious difference is that only one team in the league has ever has pissed away 4 nos 1 picks including the best player of a generation.
On any other team McSweatpants plus 3 other Nos 1's within 6 years would be a stone lock for a dynasty, 3 or 4 cups minimally, that this almost certainly the Oilers last chance at a cup run and they look less than likely to get out of the first round let alone all the way is the definition of a hot mess, the Flames are rebuilding, that is a fact of life for all teams
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post: