Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2015, 10:02 AM   #2621
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
In non adjusted box office.

I wish they did just straight people through the turnstiles instead of dollars.
If they did that then they couldn't keep talking about how their new blockbusters are breaking records.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:28 PM   #2622
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, it's hit $1 billion. A day faster than Jurrasic World. Difference is, Jurrasic World had China helping it get to a billion. Star Wars doesn't open in China for another two weeks.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #2623
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Well, it's hit $1 billion. A day faster than Jurrasic World. Difference is, Jurrasic World had China helping it get to a billion. Star Wars doesn't open in China for another two weeks.
The emperor is pleased with this ROI

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #2624
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In non adjusted box office.

I wish they did just straight people through the turnstiles instead of dollars.
Why?

Dollars matter. Entertainment is different now. So many different options, home theatres, Iphones, pirating etc...

Don't get me wrong, gone with the wind doing the equivalent of 2billion domestic is INSANE, but considering it was either go to the theatre or listen to the radio, it wasn't competing with so many other forms of entertainment for bucks and you couldn't wait until it came out on iTunes to see it.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #2625
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Don't get me wrong, gone with the wind doing the equivalent of 2billion domestic is INSANE, but considering it was either go to the theatre or listen to the radio, it wasn't competing with so many other forms of entertainment for bucks and you couldn't wait until it came out on iTunes to see it.
The population back then was much smaller, also advertising today has many more tools to reach people. Another factor is Star Wars is already a world wide beloved phenomenon it would take a truly dreadful movie for it to bomb.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #2626
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Why?

Dollars matter. Entertainment is different now. So many different options, home theatres, Iphones, pirating etc...

Depends what question you want answered. Most watched movie in theaters is what I want to know. Another interesting one would be tickets sold plus downloads/blue ray/vhs sales. I want to use the info as a measure of a cultural phenomenon.

Why do you care about dollars? What question are you trying to answer outside of what made the most money.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:53 PM   #2627
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

My guess is this baby breaks all the records eventually. My entire family went to see this together including my mom who hasn't been to theaters in over a decade, hates movies and television. She went awww when the movie ended, that's some damn good demographic coverage.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:58 AM   #2628
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Depends what question you want answered. Most watched movie in theaters is what I want to know. Another interesting one would be tickets sold plus downloads/blue ray/vhs sales. I want to use the info as a measure of a cultural phenomenon.

Why do you care about dollars? What question are you trying to answer outside of what made the most money.
Boxofficemojo has a drop-down in the top right corner of their page for TFA which lets you see estimated tickets sold (based on average ticket prices), and dollar value adjusters to any year you'd like.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars7.htm

P.S. Finally, I get to see this movie today! It's been a bit of an excruciating wait. I've actually been finishing off the X-Wing series books over the holidays in preparation. Still a fun read!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 12-28-2015, 10:43 AM   #2629
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Star Wars is apparently not a big commodity in China. It'll be interesting to see how the movie does there.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:33 PM   #2630
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

What is the best screen to see this in 2D? I was hoping to watch it on UltraAVX but 2D will never come to UltraAVX if the movie is in 3D also I just learned.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:54 PM   #2631
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

What is that like a licensing thing or something, if a movie is 3D it isn't allowed to be on 2D UltraAVX?! Brutal.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:06 PM   #2632
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

How long would you expect this movie to stay in theatres for?
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #2633
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
What is that like a licensing thing or something, if a movie is 3D it isn't allowed to be on 2D UltraAVX?! Brutal.
I guess the cinemas don't want to shell out extra for 2D AVX prints when they already have 3D AVX prints. So I'll either have to settle for legacy 2D widescreen with no Atmos or wait for BR to come out.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #2634
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Star Wars is apparently not a big commodity in China. It'll be interesting to see how the movie does there.
I wonder if part of their China plan was to have it being the biggest movie ever before it was released in China so that it drives people to be part of the phenomenon rather than going because it was Star Wars.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:15 PM   #2635
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder if part of their China plan was to have it being the biggest movie ever before it was released in China so that it drives people to be part of the phenomenon rather than going because it was Star Wars.
The first Star Wars predates modern China so you don't see legions of fans there. I heard LOTR and The Hobbit are the bigger franchises there.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:02 PM   #2636
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're pushing Star Wars marketing hard in China apparently. I don't see how it doesn't do at least 200 million there. Which should get it to my prediction of $2 Billion pretty easily.

Honestly, I think it will do significantly more than that, and that my prediction will have been way too conservative.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:58 PM   #2637
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

People who don't go see movies but once every few years are going to see this movie. There are people seeing this movie more than once, even more than a few times. I just saw it for the 3rd time... The last time I went to the theatre more than twice to see a movie was Return of The Jedi.

I don't know if it will but I wouldn't be shocked if this movie hits $3 billion. It will most certainly finish as #1 all-time.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:03 AM   #2638
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
I guess the cinemas don't want to shell out extra for 2D AVX prints when they already have 3D AVX prints. So I'll either have to settle for legacy 2D widescreen with no Atmos or wait for BR to come out.
I have no idea what any of these words mean.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:53 AM   #2639
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I don't know if it will but I wouldn't be shocked if this movie hits $3 billion. It will most certainly finish as #1 all-time.
What is helping SWFA is there're no worthy contenders this Christmas season. Concussion, Joy, Daddy's Home don't hold candles to SWFA in appeal. I thought Point Break was going to make a splash but only one screen in Chinook is showing it so it can't be doing too well either.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:26 AM   #2640
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Hateful Eight by Quentin Tarantino will eat into it a bit, I'm sure, but Star Wars is important enough that people won't skip it for anything, they might just see it later.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote