Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 11:46 AM   #2601
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Have to wonder if losing our captain changes the dynamics of the group significantly too.

Lucic being the most veteran player probably changes the overall mentality now. He seemed to enjoy playing with Marchand quite a bit, but who knows how he feels about Tkachuk. There's no guarantee things are the same amongst the leadership group now, but maybe the damage has already been done as well.

Last edited by AC; 08-05-2021 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:47 AM   #2602
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If they do a deal with St. Louis, and with Sutter having influence (given the recent deals) we can expect Parayko coming back. Checks all the boxes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 11:48 AM   #2603
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
I have heard it from a source close to management...
I have checked in with Tbull8 about his source.

It is third-hand, but it is also the same guy who had information about a lot of recent acquisitions and deals. He broke the Coleman, Lewis, and Pitlick deals well before anything was made public, as well as the Lucic/Neal trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 08-05-2021, 11:49 AM   #2604
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know why people are disappointed in Chucky and not the team/org surrounding him. The fact that his mild-mannered team mates were unable to find it in them to be offended by the Muzzin incident and then the staff follow up with – essentially saying they'll cherry-pick when the back him up... who'd want to commit to a team that is having trouble committing to you?
Hopefully this can work out for all.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flame On For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 11:50 AM   #2605
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

It is third-hand, but it is also the same guy who had information about a lot of recent acquisitions and deals. He broke the Coleman, Lewis, and Pitlick deals well before anything was made public, as well as the Lucic/Neal trade.

So it's as good or better than most media insiders
Old 08-05-2021, 11:50 AM   #2606
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

That first game against Tkachuk is going to be some must-watch TV, that's for sure.

Last edited by FanIn80; 08-08-2021 at 02:25 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 11:51 AM   #2607
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if that’s true and we can turn Tkachuk into Eichel without giving up much else, I like it.
Rather have a big valuable part than spare futures for him.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:51 AM   #2608
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yikes, that is really too bad on Tkachuk and don't feel great about the Flames beating out Anaheim on Eichel if actually reliable. The only hope if Tkachuk doesn't get dealt is that rift gets worked out over the next season.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:53 AM   #2609
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
The best I think you could do from STL would be a retained Tarasenko, Kyrou and maybe a prospect or pick. Neighbors or a lotto protected 1st for example.

Especially since they know that's where he likely ends up when he's a UFA 2 years from now. They'd be paying to get him there 2 years sooner is all.

The other question would be, does Tarasenko's NTC get in the way of any possible deal?
I don't buy that Tkachuk has his heart set on playing in St. Louis over the next 4-6 years.. is it likely true that he wants to end up there at some point? Most likely, but the Tkachuk family in general seem to be after making the most money they possibly can, while they can. Whoever offer's Tkachuk the biggest deal likely lands him which certainly helps Calgary in any trade scenario.

Tkachuk could sign a 6 or 7 year extension and still sign his career ending contract in St.Louis at 30/31.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:53 AM   #2610
DSIM420
Backup Goalie

Exp:

After Buffalo lost the ROR trade, I don't think they want anyone from the STL organization.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:53 AM   #2611
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Yikes, that is really too bad on Tkachuk and don't feel great about the Flames beating out Anaheim on Eichel if actually reliable. The only hope if Tkachuk doesn't get dealt is that rift gets worked out over the next season.
Interesting, because this new information has actually bolstered my confidence in the Flames making a deal for Eichel happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 11:55 AM   #2612
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If this is true, it really sucks. Tkachuk would be the last player I would want to move.

With that being said if the Flames can swing Tkachuk + small futures for Eichel then we will be okay.

I just don’t want to move Tkachuk in a quality vs quantity trade
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 11:58 AM   #2613
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see both sides
- Tkachuk causes a lot of chaos in some cases pokes the bear and wakes up the other team. And then doesn't rise to the challenge himself. I think there is validity in the concept of picking your fights
- But this is a team that collectively hasn't always had a good compete level particularly in important games.

So both elements are concerning.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 11:58 AM   #2614
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have heard it from a source close to management (if you don't want to believe me, all good) that the 3 teams still seriously in on Eichel are Anaheim, Vegas, and Calgary.

As well, there is a serious rift between Tkachuk and the team. He has not been training with any of the flames this summer, and has made it very clear he wants to go to the states (ideally St. Louis).

Last year after the Muzzin incident, closed door meeting for the players, but then Tkachuk met with management and was told "we will help you fight your battles, but we're not going to fight all of them every night".

From that point on, he was described as acting "pouty" for the rest of the season (which seems obvious now given how he was playing).

The Flames are looking to move him as part of the Eichel package, since there is almost 0% chance he re-signs here next summer, but Buffalo is not that interested in him. Likely because they know he isn't signing there either.
This seems to be the hold up on the Eichel deal. If a 3rd team got involved, Tkachuk would likely end up there with more futures going to Buffalo.
I can't confirm the aspects of the Eichel trade.

But I have also heard from a pretty trustworthy source that was close to the team that the rift with Tkachuk was real, and that he has mentioned his desire to play in a US market.

Mods can PM me to verify my source as well if they'd like. But it does seem there is a lot of fire to go with the smoke around Tkachuk wanting out of Calgary.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 12:01 PM   #2615
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSIM420 View Post
After Buffalo lost the ROR trade, I don't think they want anyone from the STL organization.
STL has no cap for Thomas. Thomas would be an excellent rebuilding piece and an ideal C/RW flanking Cozens:

CGY: Eichel + Tarasenko
STL: Tkachuk
BUF: Monahan, Thomas, +++ (+’s coming from Calgary and St. Louis)
Old 08-05-2021, 12:01 PM   #2616
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting, because this new information has actually bolstered my confidence in the Flames making a deal for Eichel happen.
If Anaheim doesn't want to give up one of their blue chip prospects then sure but Calgary cannot beat an offer from them if they do. Obviously they have refused so far or else a trade would be done. Vegas can be beat for sure.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:02 PM   #2617
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
So what's the issue then?

Tkachuk over reacted to the team not coming to his defense and quit on the group?

Or ...

Leadership doesn't want the team's agitator to agitate?

Both are a huge concern, the second one won't be fixed by moving Tkachuk. But perhaps it's deep enough that keeping Tkachuk isn't an option.
Extremely concerning, as it speaks to the level of engagement of the players within the locker room. However, this is very unsurprising.

Team sports is all about trust, and Tkachuk trusting his teammates, in a team meeting he reached out to his players and said back me up, and they turned their back on him. I think Tkachuk knows what it takes to win, and now he sees this team as quite frankly a bunch of disinterested losers. Why would he play hard and get in the grill of the opposition if his teammates are not going to be there to support him whenever? Tkachuk wasn't buying into the indifferent complacency that has seeped into the core of the locker room, and has been doing everything in his power to drag his team into a fight, and time after time the team let him down. Boston supports Marchand through all of his complete insanity, Ducks supported Perry, Canucks teammates adored Burrows and Kesler. The milquetoast flames core couldn't be bothered to support the one player who was actually exciting to watch. Culture is incredibly hard to change, and Tkachuk is finding this out first hand, I don't blame him for wanting to leave and whatever team gets him will be absolutely thrilled with having him on their team.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:04 PM   #2618
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tbull's post is probably enough of a rumor to start its own thread. Pretty substantial now that the mod has verified.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:06 PM   #2619
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I can see both sides
- Tkachuk causes a lot of chaos in some cases pokes the bear and wakes up the other team. And then doesn't rise to the challenge himself. I think there is validity in the concept of picking your fights
- But this is a team that collectively hasn't always had a good compete level particularly in important games.

So both elements are concerning.
Yeah, Tkachuk hasn't killed it in big games himself but he is one of the more entertaining players on the team and it is pretty disheartening to hear that he wants out. The Flames aren't skilled enough to rely purely on skill and need another element to their game. Embrace the rat identity and go for it. It would be more entertaining if nothing else.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:08 PM   #2620
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have heard it from a source close to management (if you don't want to believe me, all good) that the 3 teams still seriously in on Eichel are Anaheim, Vegas, and Calgary.

As well, there is a serious rift between Tkachuk and the team. He has not been training with any of the flames this summer, and has made it very clear he wants to go to the states (ideally St. Louis).

Last year after the Muzzin incident, closed door meeting for the players, but then Tkachuk met with management and was told "we will help you fight your battles, but we're not going to fight all of them every night".

From that point on, he was described as acting "pouty" for the rest of the season (which seems obvious now given how he was playing).

The Flames are looking to move him as part of the Eichel package, since there is almost 0% chance he re-signs here next summer, but Buffalo is not that interested in him. Likely because they know he isn't signing there either.
This seems to be the hold up on the Eichel deal. If a 3rd team got involved, Tkachuk would likely end up there with more futures going to Buffalo.
Assuming all this is factual, then IMO we should be looking at separate trades for Eichel (one in involving Monahan) and Tkachuk (one involving a speedier top six winger and some futures returning) rather than a 3-way deal. Of course those added futures could be flipped for Eichel.

I want the Flames to be a skilled, high IQ team, but also a much faster team than what's been on the ice the last six or seven years. Monahan and Tkachuk have been the two slowest elements in our top six so replacing them with, for instance Jack Eichel and Chris Kreider, would be outstanding.

I'd our chances with roughly this forward group

Gaudreau - Eichel - Coleman
Kreider - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Dube - Backlund - Pitlick
Lucic - Ruzicka - Phillips

Maybe it's a piece short at 1RW, but plenty of playoff teams are a piece short, that's what deadline deals, or maybe even a Caufield-style Coronato signing, are for.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 08-05-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Closed Thread