Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 02:04 PM   #2601
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
While I'm sure Treliving tried to improve the forward group I am shocked that he's not made any moves to the top 6. I just don't think it's good enough to make any noise in the playoffs.
Playoffs are in 8 months...at least
Old 10-13-2020, 02:05 PM   #2602
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1316102534444937216

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 02:07 PM   #2603
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
While I'm sure Treliving tried to improve the forward group I am shocked that he's not made any moves to the top 6. I just don't think it's good enough to make any noise in the playoffs.
He just added a top 6 player two years ago, what kind of miracles are you expecting? In a couple years we’ll add another top 6 player and we can continue this exercise.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 02:20 PM   #2604
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
He just added a top 6 player two years ago, what kind of miracles are you expecting? In a couple years we’ll add another top 6 player and we can continue this exercise.
Continue the exercise of losing in the first round? Great. Supplementing your top 6 does not require a miracle. The group we have simply isn't good enough. I'm not going to go all Eric Francis and call them all junk but as a group they just haven't been good enough in the playoffs and I'm not exactly sure what the plan is with Gaudreau if they are going to do the Iginla thing all over again or what.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #2605
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Continue the exercise of losing in the first round? Great. Supplementing your top 6 does not require a miracle. The group we have simply isn't good enough. I'm not going to go all Eric Francis and call them all junk but as a group they just haven't been good enough and I'm not exactly sure what the plan is with Gaudreau if they are going to do the Iginla thing all over again or what.
Make no mistake every single rock will be overturned looking for a solution before they either trade him for peanuts to the only team he’ll agree to go to or lose him for nothing. This is the way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 02:48 PM   #2606
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Continue the exercise of losing in the first round? Great. Supplementing your top 6 does not require a miracle. The group we have simply isn't good enough. I'm not going to go all Eric Francis and call them all junk but as a group they just haven't been good enough in the playoffs and I'm not exactly sure what the plan is with Gaudreau if they are going to do the Iginla thing all over again or what.
Why would you expect the ownership group to behave differently then the last 30 years!

We will hold on to this team as long as possible and hope for a miracle run!

If you think they signed Markstum and Tanev to trade JG for 'parts' prepare to continue to be disapointed/surprised
Old 10-13-2020, 03:06 PM   #2607
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I feel like a trade will happen.

Unless Mangiapane signs for less than $3million we will already not be able to fill out a 22 man roster - assuming the remaining pieces are signed at league minimum.

I don’t imagine Tre wants the cap that tight even if Mangiapane signs for less than 3 and that isn’t even with a full 23 man roster.

You’d have to think Ryan is on the block and if they want to do something bigger a guy like Hanifin seems likely to be swapped for a RWer.

There are still a ton of guys that are looking for work and will likely sign a cheap 1yr deal and wait for the expansion draft to pass and open up more cap space for NHL players to take up league wide.

Lucic’s contract and the Brouwer/Stone buyouts are just under $8mill in cap space.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:11 PM   #2608
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Transactions have ground to a crawl league wide. Theres still over a month until the proposed training camp start so I dont see much happening until at the very least, Arbitration is done. Or around the time hearings commence.

Still some rock solid FAs twisting in the wind though. Holding off I bet for teams to work out some things.

EDIT: and after listening to Trelivings post Tanev and Domingue interview, he's not done. But like he said, trade market is mushy and FA has gone exactly how they've anticipated it to go.

Last edited by dammage79; 10-13-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:20 PM   #2609
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sign Del Zotto - 1 year, $900k
Sign Ruuta - 1 year, $900k
Sign Leivo - 1 year, $950k
Sign Ritchie - 1 year, $750k

Trade Hanifin to Boston for Debrusk

Re-sign Mangiapane 2 years, $2,750,000
Re-sign Debrusk - 2 years, $3,500,000
Re-sign Gawdin - 1 year, $787,500
Re-sign Kylington - 1 year, $787,500

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane
Debrusk - Bennett - Dube
Lucic - Ryan - Leivo

Gawdin, Ritchie

Giordano - Andersson
Del Zotto - Tanev
Valimaki - Ruuta

Kylington

Markstrom
Rittich

Cap space - $35k (lol)

Del Zotto can log minutes and bring some offense while being paired with our best defensive Dman, ease Valimaki in and eventually he starts eating away at DZ's minutes.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #2610
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Sign Del Zotto - 1 year, $900k
Sign Ruuta - 1 year, $900k
Sign Leivo - 1 year, $950k
Sign Ritchie - 1 year, $750k

Trade Hanifin to Boston for Debrusk

Re-sign Mangiapane 2 years, $2,750,000
Re-sign Debrusk - 2 years, $3,500,000
Re-sign Gawdin - 1 year, $787,500
Re-sign Kylington - 1 year, $787,500

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane
Debrusk - Bennett - Dube
Lucic - Ryan - Leivo

Gawdin, Ritchie

Giordano - Andersson
Del Zotto - Tanev
Valimaki - Ruuta

Kylington

Markstrom
Rittich

Cap space - $35k (lol)

Del Zotto can log minutes and bring some offense while being paired with our best defensive Dman, ease Valimaki in and eventually he starts eating away at DZ's minutes.
If we were to trade Hanifin, why would we do so in order to acquire a LS winger?

I, for one, would be livid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 03:31 PM   #2611
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It sounds like Hamonic wants to stay in Western Canada, I wonder if he would take $1m or less to stay in Calgary. He isn't a top 4 anymore, but I think he can still fill a role on the 3rd pair. Give Valimaki a vet to play with, and play in the top 4 if Tanev gets injured.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:32 PM   #2612
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Flames would have won a round this year with better goaltending.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 03:32 PM   #2613
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
and after listening to Trelivings post Tanev and Domingue interview, he's not done. But like he said, trade market is mushy and FA has gone exactly how they've anticipated it to go.
Where did you see/hear this?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 03:33 PM   #2614
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
It sounds like Hamonic wants to stay in Western Canada, I wonder if he would take $1m or less to stay in Calgary. He isn't a top 4 anymore, but I think he can still fill a role on the 3rd pair. Give Valimaki a vet to play with, and play in the top 4 if Tanev gets injured.
Gio
Andersson
Valimaki
Hanifin
Tanev
Hamonic
Kylington

Mackey
Yelesin
Petrovic

I certainly wouldn’t be against it if the price was right!
Old 10-13-2020, 03:33 PM   #2615
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
Doubt he even plays next year unless things change. If he opted out of a bubble when cases were low is he going to change his mind when the situation is just as if not more risky?
Old 10-13-2020, 03:33 PM   #2616
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually was working on a roster that involves trading Gaudreau for Foresberg, and it looks quite good in my opinion. Also included trading Mangiapane's rights for Deangelo's rights both are 24, and NYR has considered trading him. Finally, trading Hanifin for Debrusk's rights, it really seems like Boston could use Hanifin, and it works for the Flames as well. I rounded the 4th line by signing Perry, and Martin, I think they would both be great additions.

Roster:

Spoiler!

Trades:
Spoiler!
Old 10-13-2020, 03:35 PM   #2617
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Where did you see/hear this?
Fan 960. Steinberg interview.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 03:37 PM   #2618
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
If we were to trade Hanifin, why would we do so in order to acquire a LS winger?

I, for one, would be livid.
Yeah I'd rather a right shot C myself, but I don't see one that is likely available anywhere from a team that needs a young left D. You'd also want the returning forward to be roughly the same age as Hanifin, under team control for multiple years, and it's also preferable that the forward likely comes cheaper than Hanifin, because the other reason you are trading Hanifin is to gain some cap space to fill out the roster.

Debrusk checks all the boxes, except for the fact he is a left shot.

Seeing as how Dube and Mangiapane both play their off wing a lot, it wouldn't be the worst acquisition IMO.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:38 PM   #2619
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Doubt he even plays next year unless things change. If he opted out of a bubble when cases were low is he going to change his mind when the situation is just as if not more risky?
I thought I read that he approached the Jets about signing there. So I think he is looking to play next year, but it is a valid point and you could be right.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:39 PM   #2620
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Hamonic but I think it's best for all that he not play here, no matter the price.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread