Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2024, 11:24 AM   #2581
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Am I the only one who just realized Carter Yakemchuk, a defenseman, scored 30 goals this year in the dub???

That's wild.
Yakemchuk is a very intriguing prospect. He has scoring, size, skating, snarl and is a local kid. The reports keep calling him a raw and undeveloped talent but I don't see a lot to dislike. He is one of the older kids in the draft though, if that's relevant.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:28 AM   #2582
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
His model would have also led to this team drafting Ayrton Martino and Sasha Pastujov over Stankoven in the 2nd round as they were his 13th, and 14th rated prospects in that draft. His model had Mason McTavish at 22. His model didn't have Wyatt Johnston as a 1st round talent. I could go on and on. An NHLe/purely production driven model is borderline useless in my estimation, but of course it will have it's "hits" along the way too..

Julien Gauthier was used as a draft year comparison for Stankoven for crying out loud.
Honestly his model is a bit useless for that draft year because of COVID.

If Stankoven actually played a full year he would have been showing much better in that model, but didn't because of how COVID worked.

Also why I think it's tough to fault the team for that. You were projecting guys that hadn't played a lot of hockey for 12-18 months based on what they were doing when they were 16 and 17.

I don't think Bader is really saying his model had Stankoven way ahead of Stromgren - because it didn't - I think he's just saying it pains him as a Flames fan.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 11:29 AM   #2583
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tij looks outstanding again today. Doubt he falls to 9, but he would be an incredible pick.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 11:40 AM   #2584
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Tij and Buium are gone, I want Yakemchuk over Parekh I think. I've been into Parekh for a while but I think the calgary connection puts Yakemchuk ahead. Skating maybe an issue but that can be fixed, he has size and is way more physical than parekh.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 11:40 AM   #2585
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

8 picks in the first 4 rounds for the Flames is amazing

Please don't trade any of them
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 11:42 AM   #2586
konradical
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Trade Marky for a first (hopefully he is worth that), and Mang for more picks in the top 64
konradical is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to konradical For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 11:49 AM   #2587
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I'd rather they take a swing at a guy with top pairing upside but I am fully prepared for them to take the gigantic dman.
If they take him they would likely see him as having a top pairing trajectory.

A 6'7" guy with mobility is an elite hockey player if he makes his mark.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 12:03 PM   #2588
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
If they take him they would likely see him as having a top pairing trajectory.

A 6'7" guy with mobility is an elite hockey player if he makes his mark.
Can he be elite with no offensive game?
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 12:14 PM   #2589
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
If Tij and Buium are gone, I want Yakemchuk over Parekh I think. I've been into Parekh for a while but I think the calgary connection puts Yakemchuk ahead. Skating maybe an issue but that can be fixed, he has size and is way more physical than parekh.
I think you're sleeping on Parekh but we're all entitled to our own opinions so I cant fault you there.

Guys put up numbers never seen in the CHL at 16.
Yea, some defensive warts... but there's no denying his offensive instinct its absolutely crazy.

Meanwhile Yakemchuk was basically a 1 man show in Calgary, inflated numbers as a result of having to do it himself most nights. Not saying hes not good, but I think he's got just as many warts.

I know who I'd want quarterbacking my PP.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 12:23 PM   #2590
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
He's 17 in the KHL. A league that is notoriously difficult for any u20 player to rack up points in, nevermind a defenseman.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 12:23 PM   #2591
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Tij looks outstanding again today. Doubt he falls to 9, but he would be an incredible pick.
Sigh, by almost every draft ranking he would have to rise to be gone by 9. The odds favour him still there when the Flames pick. Whether he should be the pick depends on if others rise or fall.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 12:29 PM   #2592
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
I think you're sleeping on Parekh but we're all entitled to our own opinions so I cant fault you there.

Guys put up numbers never seen in the CHL at 16.
Yea, some defensive warts... but there's no denying his offensive instinct its absolutely crazy.

Meanwhile Yakemchuk was basically a 1 man show in Calgary, inflated numbers as a result of having to do it himself most nights. Not saying hes not good, but I think he's got just as many warts.

I know who I'd want quarterbacking my PP.
How many defensemen at 17 have "one man show" ability in the dub? Pretty rare to see a 17/18 yo defensemen score at that rate in the WHL. He also led all defensemen in shots in the league. Topped #2 by 42 shots.

He shot at 10.9% on 275 shots, which isn't outrageous, but high (and good!) for a defenseman. The next closes goal scorer for defenseman was Marc Lajoie who shot 13.7% on 189 shots.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:46 PM   #2593
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's 17 in the KHL. A league that is notoriously difficult for any u20 player to rack up points in, nevermind a defenseman.
If the general consensus is that you are drafting a 6'7 Chris Tanev if he even hits then I'd much rather they swing for Parekh or Yakemchuk etc. If Silayev was 6'2 then would teams be looking at him as top pick?

I am admittedly pretty biased against drafting giants outside of goalies. Hedman is the only player I can even think of that I would classify as elite that is close to Silayev's size. Most of the quick reading I have done on Silayev is that he has limited offensive upside which doesn't make him an appealing pick.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 12:46 PM   #2594
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
My opinion only ... but yeah 100%
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 12:50 PM   #2595
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't mind the Flames drafting Carter George with one of the 2nds this year

Kid looks good at the U18's

Lots of huge saves

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 05-03-2024 at 08:46 AM.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 12:55 PM   #2596
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
If the general consensus is that you are drafting a 6'7 Chris Tanev if he even hits then I'd much rather they swing for Parekh or Yakemchuk etc. If Silayev was 6'2 then would teams be looking at him as top pick?

I am admittedly pretty biased against drafting giants outside of goalies. Hedman is the only player I can even think of that I would classify as elite that is close to Silayev's size. Most of the quick reading I have done on Silayev is that he has limited offensive upside which doesn't make him an appealing pick.
Hedman put up 4 points in 39 games in the Swedish Elite League in his age 17 year. There's a lot more about a young 17 year old playing against grown men that can be evaluated over points. I think he's being so well regarded because the future for offense is there with the right opportunity and ice time.

Many of the scouting reports say there is offense there. He was playing a bit on the powerplay for his team but mostly at evens. And lots of minutes, which is extremely rare as a 17 yo in the KHL.

I see a Victor Hedman, not a Zadorov here. But that's just my very unprofessional opinion.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:56 PM   #2597
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
My opinion only ... but yeah 100%
That is fair. I think you need to be a two way player to be elite but I am not any more right than you are lol

Quote:
I see a Victor Hedman, not a Zadorov here. But that's just my very unprofessional opinion.
That is fair. If there is offensive upside to his game then I'd hate it less.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:11 PM   #2598
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Sigh, by almost every draft ranking he would have to rise to be gone by 9. The odds favour him still there when the Flames pick. Whether he should be the pick depends on if others rise or fall.
I'll let you check back with those rankings in about a month sigh.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 01:31 PM   #2599
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think 2025 is now officially the James Hagens draft. Dudes gone off. 19p in 5 gp. Here we are lauding McKennas Canadian record but Hagens has topped that by 4 points so far.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:38 PM   #2600
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I think 2025 is now officially the James Hagens draft. Dudes gone off. 19p in 5 gp. Here we are lauding McKennas Canadian record but Hagens has topped that by 4 points so far.
I would bet Mckenna gives the record (whatever Hagens ends at) a good run next year
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft