Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2024, 01:37 PM   #241
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
We have him for 7 mores years.

It's relevant to our rebuild (if that's what this is)

He will still be on the books one way or another when we're trying to nit be rebuilding anymore.
I'm told the rebuild will take 10 years. Anyway, talk to me when the Flames need cap space. Until then, who cares where you tank Hubderdeau as an "impact player" on Calgary (even though yours was ridiculous).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:39 PM   #242
traptor
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'm told the rebuild will take 10 years. Anyway, talk to me when the Flames need cap space. Until then, who cares where you tank Hubderdeau as an "impact player" on Calgary (even though yours was ridiculous).
I'm just going to throw you on ignore
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:40 PM   #243
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
First of all, if you are looking at only the last 10 years you are cutting off 3-4 years where hardly any teams have players with significant NHL minutes. The 2021 draft has 7 players with more than 80 games. Only 3 were not top 10, and two of those I bet you couldn't name as ".impact players"

2020 - Connor Zary ring a bell? He's 24th in points from that draft (exactly where he was picked but he will pass that very soon I bet). 2019 - Pelletier - we will see. He's an NHLer anyway. 2018 - I'd say Pospisil has made an impact. Wolf may yet as well. 2017 - Valimaki is an NHL player. 2016 - Dube and Fox but what can you do?
Zary has potential for sure. So far he seems like the most probable to become a top 6 forward but he still has a lot to prove. Pelletier and Pospisil look like they could be decent middle/bottom 6 guys. Valimaki is a bottom 6 if he's playing on a decent roster. Dube never really lived up to his potential. Bottom 6 guy. Wolf time will tell..

Nothing wrong with these guys but if we're claiming 2nd best drafting in the league nothing really stands out. Fox never playing a game definitely makes it seem worse. The Flames have drafted well for depth but are missing a few home runs that they will need if they plan on a quick turnaround. Hopefully from Honzek, Zary, Coronato, 2024 1st you have a couple legit top 6 forwards.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:40 PM   #244
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
I am presuming they would do it for the cap space. They may not be competitive but it could allow them to throw big bucks at some of their prospects after ELC and open the window up further between say 2028-2034. I personally think that the 26/27 season is the season that it is most likely that the Flames seriously compete for a playoff spot again.
You are assuming the Flames will want to spend lots of dough over the cap number, when you factor in the amount spent on the Huberdeau buyout.

I don't think that's a given, especially when rebuilding.

The Flames certainly spend to the cap, but haven't often gone way over it. Now they will when contracts are front loaded, as that's just a timing issue. Spending an extra $50M over 5 years is another thing.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:49 PM   #245
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Not to start the trade Huberdeau for Gaudreau chat again, but are there any other teams in a similar situation with an expensive-underperforming-supposedly-high-end-talent-locked-up-for-a-long-time (EUPSHETLUFALT) asset that we could look at trading for?
The closest would have been Timo Meier probably...but his game has improved with the firing of Ruff.

Pierre Luc Dubois will be another that isn't fitting in on a 8 year contract.

Gaudreau...but doubt he wants to uproot his two kids to come back to Calgary.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:49 PM   #246
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Since most of the money owned Huberdeau is in bonuses, Calgary would save little actual money in this type of buyout, although it would save a ton of cap space.
It won't save cap space either. The calculations involved are needlessly complicated, but what it boils down to is that if Huberdeau gets a dollar, it counts against the cap whether he is on the team or not.

According to CapFriendly, if the Flames bought Huberdeau out this summer, over 90% of his remaining contract would still count against the cap. There would be three years in which his cap hit after the buyout would still be $10.4 million.

There's absolutely no point in buying him out unless, as other posters have suggested, the league hands out more compliance buyouts with the next CBA.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:51 PM   #247
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man this team has a long ways to go.

#1D on the team? Nope
#1D in the system? Not likely

#1C on the team? Nope
#1C in the system? Not likely

#1G on the team? 34 years old
#1G in the system? Yeah maybe, but he's tiny
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:54 PM   #248
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

#1D on the team? Nope

#1C on the team? Nope

You look at how these things emerge around the league and solving all of these issues could take as little as one draft or a draft and a trade away.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:54 PM   #249
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

#1D on the team? Nope

#1C on the team? Nope

They haven't picked top 10 though...that's generally how you get those pieces.

They have really great prospect depth...now they need to bottom out, get the early picks to then draft that 1C and 1D.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:55 PM   #250
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You don’t tell someone you’re putting them on ignore, you just do it.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:55 PM   #251
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The huberdeau contract might be the worst mistake this franchise has ever made.

It's the worst contract in the NHL for a second year in a row.

It's bad now and there's a solid chance it's just as bad, if not an even bigger issue in years 5,6,7 and 8 when we're trying to seriously compete again.
Nurse is the worst contract in the NHL, at least Huberdeau does actually do something besides hurt his team.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 01:58 PM   #252
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So because GioPM has a different take you are throwing him on ignore. That's a nice way of saying he is right and you have no rebuttal.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:59 PM   #253
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The closest would have been Timo Meier probably...but his game has improved with the firing of Ruff.

Pierre Luc Dubois will be another that isn't fitting in on a 8 year contract.

Gaudreau...but doubt he wants to uproot his two kids to come back to Calgary.
I think LA just buys out PLD versus trading for Huberdeau
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 02:00 PM   #254
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You look at how these things emerge around the league and solving all of these issues could take as little as one draft or a draft and a trade away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
They haven't picked top 10 though...that's generally how you get those pieces.

They have really great prospect depth...now they need to bottom out, get the early picks to then draft that 1C and 1D.
Yes, it can certainly be remedied quickly, but it sure feels like a daunting task ATM when you consider the Flames have been looking for a true #1C for like 35 years and the only true #1D they drafted in the last 20+ years didn't even play a game for them because he decided he was going to be a Ranger and that's that.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 02:01 PM   #255
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
You don’t tell someone you’re putting them on ignore, you just do it.
Like, what? Did somebody say something?

I don't even put people on ignore, I just, like, ignore them.
Old 03-13-2024, 02:02 PM   #256
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
You are assuming the Flames will want to spend lots of dough over the cap number, when you factor in the amount spent on the Huberdeau buyout.

I don't think that's a given, especially when rebuilding.

The Flames certainly spend to the cap, but haven't often gone way over it. Now they will when contracts are front loaded, as that's just a timing issue. Spending an extra $50M over 5 years is another thing.
According to cap friendly the cost for the Flames would be 8 million. If they do not buy it out and play him for the rest of the contract the cost would be 52.5 million dollars. They might view a buyout as a cost savings.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 02:04 PM   #257
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
It won't save cap space either. The calculations involved are needlessly complicated, but what it boils down to is that if Huberdeau gets a dollar, it counts against the cap whether he is on the team or not.

According to CapFriendly, if the Flames bought Huberdeau out this summer, over 90% of his remaining contract would still count against the cap. There would be three years in which his cap hit after the buyout would still be $10.4 million.

There's absolutely no point in buying him out unless, as other posters have suggested, the league hands out more compliance buyouts with the next CBA.
Compliance buyouts after CBA negotiations have traditionally cost 0 dollars in cap space. That would be the point, it would be free from a cap perspective if the same thing that has happened after every CBA negotiation happens after this negotiation. Totally agree no point in buying him out unless that is the scenario.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 02:04 PM   #258
traptor
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
So because GioPM has a different take you are throwing him on ignore. That's a nice way of saying he is right and you have no rebuttal.
No its because he came off rude to me. "Yours was ridiculous"
Old 03-13-2024, 02:11 PM   #259
traptor
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Nurse is the worst contract in the NHL, at least Huberdeau does actually do something besides hurt his team.
I disagree. I would take Nurses contract over Huberdeaus.

Nurses is one year further along and less money. I also think the buyout is a bit better.

Nurse is overpaid and a bad contract forsure but atleast he's still a top 4 D.
Huberdeau is a middle-6 winger to me.

One checkmark I'll give Huberdeau is atleast there's that hope of upside. He has been a very productive player. Nurse has always been what he is.

Last edited by traptor; 03-13-2024 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2024, 02:15 PM   #260
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Compliance buyouts after CBA negotiations have traditionally cost 0 dollars in cap space. That would be the point, it would be free from a cap perspective if the same thing that has happened after every CBA negotiation happens after this negotiation. Totally agree no point in buying him out unless that is the scenario.
There was, in fact, a CBA negotiation back in 2020, which resulted in the existing CBA being extended until 2026. There were no compliance buyouts, because there was nothing new to comply with.

I don't think it's a sure thing that there will be compliance buyouts in the future. It happened in 2005 because the players' share of HRR was capped at 57% (it had been somewhere around 70). It happened in 2013 because the players' share was cut to 50%. I don't think the owners are willing to lose revenue to a lockout on the chance of going lower than that.