Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2024, 07:58 PM   #241
dgibb10
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
I think you missed the obvious counter... Goalies get traded for less because there are less of them. Most teams only have 2 spots on their roster for a goalie, so there are only 64 NHL goalie jobs at a time.

Also, I am not sold that goalies will stay 'cheap'. Even if we are ignoring Bobrovsky and Vasilevskiy for the moment, the next wave of star goalies are coming up with Oettinger, Swayman, and Shesterkin all likely looking at big raises as their contracts come up.
We'll see what Swayman gets.

My prediction is the market will value Mercer around 6x8 and Swayman around 7x8 (with swayman having 2 years less of RFA control).

2 top 3-5 goalies in hockey literally just hit UFA. They got 8.25 and 8.5 mill.
dgibb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 07:58 PM   #242
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibb10 View Post
The offer for what? The alleged offer for Markstrom?

From what I've seen it was Holtz for Markstrom (2 mill retained)
People get all mad and blame Edwards but that offer sucks balls
Old 03-07-2024, 07:59 PM   #243
CgyFlamesftw
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The Devils do have a hole at goaltender. Fitzgerald will continue to look around for a fair price on an upgrade.

Markstrom is not some guaranteed solution. He costs 6 mill, is 34 (the recent history on aging goalies is not pretty).

Markstrom is a large cause of why the flames missed the playoffs in 20-21 and 22-23. He #### the bed vs the oilers in 21-22.

Here's how I know Markstrom at 6 mill isn't worth the moon. Because 30 year old Markstrom at 6 mill (coming off a 4th place vezina finish) was able to be had for FREE as a UFA.
OK here we go,
1. 6 million is fine price for goaltender now a days, also like you said its only 2 more years.
2. Goalies age fine as they get older, they are not like forwards at all.
3. You know why he went UFA right? Isnt too many teams other than Boston who have that luxury and if a top goaltender hits UFA right now there are atleast 5 contending teams having a bidding war.
CgyFlamesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 07:59 PM   #244
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
I think you missed the obvious counter... Goalies get traded for less because there are less of them. Most teams only have 2 spots on their roster for a goalie, so there are only 64 NHL goalie jobs at a time.

Also, I am not sold that goalies will stay 'cheap'. Even if we are ignoring Bobrovsky and Vasilevskiy for the moment, the next wave of star goalies are coming up with Oettinger, Swayman, and Shesterkin all likely looking at big raises as their contracts come up.
With the game becoming more and more offense-focused, any goalie that can stymie those offensive teams will see their value skyrocket on the trade market going forward I think, and as it should.

Only a handful of goalies can steal games these days, with goalie stats seeing the decline they have. Markstrom is part of pretty exclusive company AFAIC, even with two elite seasons sandwiching a down year.

No reason he shouldn't command a large return just given that the supply of this ilk of goalie is bordering on non-existent and a team like New Jersey is in need of this the most.

Perceived market value aside, sometimes you just run into a Jeannot situation where a team wants their guy and will move heaven and earth. But unlike Jeannot, Markstrom would almost certainly make a massive difference on the recipient team.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 07:59 PM   #245
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
'the least valuable position'... LOL, okay
When this is said, you know it's a troll job.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:00 PM   #246
dgibb10
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You saw wrong.
Please enlighten me on what Tom Fitzgerald offered then.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:00 PM   #247
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
The Devils do have a hole at goaltender. Fitzgerald will continue to look around for a fair price on an upgrade.

Markstrom is not some guaranteed solution. He costs 6 mill, is 34 (the recent history on aging goalies is not pretty).

Markstrom is a large cause of why the flames missed the playoffs in 20-21 and 22-23. He #### the bed vs the oilers in 21-22.

Here's how I know Markstrom at 6 mill isn't worth the moon. Because 30 year old Markstrom at 6 mill (coming off a 4th place vezina finish) was able to be had for FREE as a UFA.
And Forsling, who just signed an 8 year deal for $6M per, was a waiver pick up.

Things change I guess. Who knew?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:01 PM   #248
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd rather have 23 year old Mercer than 35 year old Markstrom.

If Swayman hits the trade market I'd be open to a swap there.
Well, no kidding. But if anyone in Boston Hits the market, it will be Ullmark who is 1 season from UFA status and 31 in July.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:01 PM   #249
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn13 View Post
Keep us posted especially if "don't stop believin" starts playing and you see dancing up there!
Put Markstrom on the midnight train going to New Jersey
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:02 PM   #250
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look who's back.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:03 PM   #251
terryclancy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

OK, seriously, dude....this is the time you should just STFU...
terryclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terryclancy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 08:04 PM   #252
Angelino
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Didn’t know the Flames owner Murray Edwards was also the GM. Does Edwards also pick players in the draft for the team as well?

Let Conroy do his gd job…

Angelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:04 PM   #253
Backstop
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Value is subjective based on individual need/want/desire, as such literally anything can have a value. That perceived value is inverse to anticipated likelihood of obtaining. This emotional response can be influenced. For that reason alone any single unique thing has a limitless value ceiling and no one individuals perception of its value will be identical to another.
Backstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:05 PM   #254
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah no UFA has ever been a good player lol
he also won't cost 6M if you are following along
lastly we are all aging...even more so after reading that
Old 03-07-2024, 08:05 PM   #255
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Yikes
Old 03-07-2024, 08:06 PM   #256
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino View Post
Didn’t know the Flames owner Murray Edwards was also the GM. Does Edwards also pick players in the draft for the team as well?

Let Conroy do his gd job…
According to CP the anything bad is his fault
anything good is despite him
lol
Old 03-07-2024, 08:06 PM   #257
dgibb10
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
With the game becoming more and more offense-focused, any goalie that can stymie those offensive teams will see their value skyrocket on the trade market going forward I think, and as it should.

Only a handful of goalies can steal games these days, with goalie stats seeing the decline they have. Markstrom is part of pretty exclusive company AFAIC, even with two elite seasons sandwiching a down year.

No reason he shouldn't command a large return just given that the supply of this ilk of goalie is bordering on non-existent and a team like New Jersey is in need of this the most.

Perceived market value aside, sometimes you just run into a Jeannot situation where a team wants their guy and will move heaven and earth. But unlike Jeannot, Markstrom would make a massive difference on the receiveing team.
At this point this season is gone. For 24-25 and 25-26, here is a list of goalies I would choose over 35 and 36 year old Markstrom

Shesty, Sorokin, Saros, Oetter, Swayman, Ullmark, Vasy, Demko, Jarry, Adin Hill, Logan Thompson, Bob, Connor Ingram, 6K, Askarov. That is 15 goalies.

The problem is fanbases all think their goalie is top 3, or top 5, or top 10.

Every fanbase thinks any cold streak on their goalie is a slump, and any hot streak will last forever.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:06 PM   #258
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

dgibb10 comes to CP and opens an account, solely because he or she knows that their team needs Markstrom, and then proceeds to argue that Markstrom doesn't have much value.

I really, really want this, but it costs so much

Um, yeah, that's why it costs what it does.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:07 PM   #259
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
At this point this season is gone. For 24-25 and 25-26, here is a list of goalies I would choose over 35 and 36 year old Markstrom

Shesty, Sorokin, Saros, Oetter, Swayman, Ullmark, Vasy, Demko, Jarry, Adin Hill, Logan Thompson, Bob, Connor Ingram, 6K, Askarov. That is 15 goalies.

The problem is fanbases all think their goalie is top 3, or top 5, or top 10.

Every fanbase thinks any cold streak on their goalie is a slump, and any hot streak will last forever.
Congrats.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:07 PM   #260
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd rather have 23 year old Mercer than 35 year old Markstrom.

If Swayman hits the trade market I'd be open to a swap there.
It’s fair to think that, but Swayman or Ullmark will cost even more than Mercer lol. I’d also rather have Markstrom than some unproven 3rd liner. It’s harder to find a top tier goalie than a young kid with potential.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote